Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesleydad

kmack, excellent article.  i attend the games first and foremost to watch my son.  but, since we have been attending his games we have met some of the nicest people, you included that we are not looking forward to the end of his playing days.  stone station, the mhb guys, cnu85, and others are great people and i look forward to spending more time this and future years watching games.  my wife and i have talked about what we are going to do after this year and i told her that i was planning on still attending games.  she takes pictures as you know of wesley games and i was joking that maybe she could work for d3 as a photographer and i would have a built in excuse to go to the games, someone has to drive.  if you havent seen her pictures check out wesley, they have a link to them.  you captured the essence of what makes football great, people of all walks of life hanging around and enjoying each others company.

Mr. Ypsi

Keith,

One glaring omission on your pool C list.  IF Wheaton wins out, I'd say they're a lock.

K-Mack

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 29, 2008, 07:46:44 PM
Keith,

One glaring omission on your pool C list.  IF Wheaton wins out, I'd say they're a lock.

Yeah, they were supposed to be on there. They're in the list of one-loss teams above.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

allsky7

Keith.....great ATN this week. Not sure I should admit this around this crowd but actually had tears in my eyes before I finished. Winning is great but I suspect that isn't what's most important to most folks 20 or 30 years after the fact. It's the friendships and common bonds created and life lessons learned along the way.
      My Dad and I discuss all the time that if our government were run in the same manner as a successful football team.....we wouldn't be in this mess we are in now.  I bet Jo Pa could straighten out DC in no time.  ;D

Pat Coleman

Alright, for that admission I gave you your 100th +k karma.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

allsky7

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 30, 2008, 12:28:40 PM
Alright, for that admission I gave you your 100th +k karma.

Gee, thanks Pat. Do we get to cash these in at some point? You know, like for d3 gear, Stagg Bowl tickets, or something.   ;D

Ron Boerger

Ever looked carefully at coupons?  They have a cash value, usually 1/20th cent.

Karma points are worth 1/2000000th cent each.  Good luck!

muledaddy

K-Mack,

Nice job ATN, as usual. This week was a cut above, when you can get the leathery skinned father of a senior Mule to feel that special feeling in the back of the throat, the beginng of a tear in the eye,
and a hint at the moment of truth, when his boy walks off of the field, at the end of his last game.Thanks.

Finally, does anyone know where I can buy some karma; I seem to be losing mine.

redswarm81

If there were a Daily Dose/Triple Take board, I'd post it there.  This is the board that seems to come closest, so I'll post it here.

Looking back over the Triple Take, going item by item, Ryan Tipps was on fire!

• Wesley at Salisbury is Game of the Week;
  • Muhlenberg (31) v. Dickinson (25) surprisingly close;
  • ETBU on the radar (eh, whatever);
  • Christopher Newport (27) to be challenged by NC Wesleyan (26);
  • WPI exits East Region Pool C(luster);
Update:
  • Thomas More (through divine intervention?) upsets (overrated) No. 9 Washington & Jefferson.

Kind of dropped off a cliff with that "Wheaton shall rise from the ashes" pick, but hey--you had company.   ;)
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

wesleydad

i am not sure if this is the best place for this question, but i figured it would be a start.  after reading many posts from yesterdays, 11/01 action, it seems that a big issue has been the officiating.  is it really that bad around the country?  even the teams that win seem to be complaining about it.  i know that several of the wesley games were not officiated very well.  just wondering.

K-Mack

This is most certainly the board for random chatter among die-hards (as well as stuff that came up in the column), feel free to post items like that here. You usually get a prompt response.

To the second question, I will say this: I hear the complaining about the officials all across the country, but I tend to think it's not that bad. But maybe that's because I'm trained to consider all angles and take the emotion out of it ... it almost makes me too benefit-of-the-doubt-y to find fault.

In other words, the complaining is everywhere, but I'm not sure if it's because the officiating is that bad, or because partial people with an average grasp on the rules see it with a different slant.

For some reason, the Stagg Bowl stands out in officiating calls ... the big one they missed in in SJU-MUC, and then the run of success with replay affirming on-field calls in the UWW-MUC games, at least 1 and 2.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: redswarm81 on November 02, 2008, 01:39:37 AM
If there were a Daily Dose/Triple Take board, I'd post it there.  This is the board that seems to come closest, so I'll post it here.

Thanks for the props, redswarm! It's nice to have a good week here and there -- and it's even nicer to be acknowledged for it. :)

But if you're putting together a list like this, ya gotta mention my pick of the W&J upset as well.  ;)
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

redswarm81

Quote from: Ryan Tipps on November 02, 2008, 08:48:31 PM
Quote from: redswarm81 on November 02, 2008, 01:39:37 AM

Thanks for the props, redswarm! It's nice to have a good week here and there -- and it's even nicer to be acknowledged for it. :)

But if you're putting together a list like this, ya gotta mention my pick of the W&J upset as well.  ;)

D'oh!!  How DID I omit that one?  Duly noted and updated.

(Maybe it's because I had actually seen that one coming for a couple of weeks, and I had become accustomed to the idea as if it were fact. )
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

PA_wesleyfan

Quote from: K-Mack on November 02, 2008, 08:34:07 PM
This is most certainly the board for random chatter among die-hards (as well as stuff that came up in the column), feel free to post items like that here. You usually get a prompt response.

To the second question, I will say this: I hear the complaining about the officials all across the country, but I tend to think it's not that bad. But maybe that's because I'm trained to consider all angles and take the emotion out of it ... it almost makes me too benefit-of-the-doubt-y to find fault.

In other words, the complaining is everywhere, but I'm not sure if it's because the officiating is that bad, or because partial people with an average grasp on the rules see it with a different slant.

For some reason, the Stagg Bowl stands out in officiating calls ... the big one they missed in in SJU-MUC, and then the run of success with replay affirming on-field calls in the UWW-MUC games, at least 1 and 2.

Just a couple of thoughts on the officiating debate.

One of the obvious calls that angers a lot of people is when an official 50 yrds from a play makes a call when the ref looking at the play lets it go..There is one back judge that has done more than a few games at Wesley who has done this a lot. And yet watched a player punch another player and not make the call. There is a funny story with this non call. Coach Drass called a timeout to discuss it with the ref. The ref decided to walk away before the time out was over and Coach Drass insisted that he still had 20 secs left to use of his time out. It was classic.

The other call or non call is the whistle to stop a play... It seems to me that when crews don't use their whistles that there is a little extra tussling and that leads to more hits later and later until it boils over into pushing and shoving . Which leads
to temper flair ups and then we have that after every play.

I think for the most part there are calls that aren't going to go your teams way but the refs do a decent job. 
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Pat Coleman

There is a Daily Dose board -- I mean, the Daily Dose itself is a board.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.