Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

hs,
That's a good point, we actually go out of our way to spread the love during the regular season and the playoffs.

If someone beat Mount Union before the semifinals, they'd get plenty of publicity. Frankly it would be about the most interesting thing that could happen as we would be discussing something that virtually never happens.

This week Hobart will certainly get some attention as the team going in. And really no matter the attitude -- R-MC was pretty respectful, others have not been -- you have to play your best game to beat Division III's best team. It can be done, but it is not easy.

On to today's topics ...
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

How about today's results? A fair number of lower seeds won. Occidental would have fared a lot better vs. it's original matchup ... or would it have?

A couple Pool C runners up did better than the teams that beat them out for their conference titles (W&J won, Thomas More didn't; Curry won, Plymouth State didn't; UW-W won, UW-SP didn't ... Wheaton/North Central pulled the daily double for the CCIW, OAC couldn't ... and ASC was matched against itself.

Quote#  WarhawkTrombone Says:
November 22nd, 2008 at 2:59 pm

D3Kieth: "It is kind of weird, if Ithaca > Cortland St. > Plymouth State > Curry ... yet Curry beats Ithaca"

Haven't we learned anything about comparative results this year? ;)

This year? That's old news, I'm just fascinated/obsessed with pointing it out each time :)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: MajorDad on November 22, 2008, 07:16:41 AM
Keith,
I agree whole-heartedly with your response and attitude. Those of us who have sons on teams within DIII, the Alums who follow their alma mater religiously, do, on occassion like reading positive stories about their team, who doesn't? No one wants to hear that their team is going to get steam rolled this coming Saturday. But I, as a fan, would rather hear the real story on chances for victory. Sometimes, that makes it that much sweeter..........Thats why we call them upsets!!!!!!!!

Keep doing what you and the others do, appreciate it!

Quote from: pumkinattack on November 22, 2008, 07:21:53 AM
As you are no doubt aware, the other Hobart fans, alums and parents all love and appreciate your work (wouldn't mind a couple of front page or feature stories, but that makes us like 95% of the other schools site users I would suppose).

Thanks for your wisdom, guys. I do get lots of nice compliments via e-mail and I don't share them all, though I do appreciate them all.

You might not be surprised to learn that there's a rash of a-hole e-mail going around this time of year. I don't know if these people thinking they're helping the situation, but they make it a little more difficult to honestly feel good for these teams and cover them the way we should. Luckily we're professionals and not so easily swayed :)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Rick wrote me again. Killing some time before my plane leaves Columbus, so thought I'd share.

You'd be surprised what people write us ... as though one of our picks being wrong pierces us to the core of our existence. No, not that! I think I wrote on the Dose that I expected to miss 2-6 games this week. It's reality. And it's the playoffs, what fun would it be if I could easily pick all the winners? The seeds most certainly didn't hold up.

Anyway, I got crazy e-mail from Curry too, but later for that. Here's Riggi!

Quote-------------- Original message ----------------------
> So let me get this straight:  you stand by your disrespectful attitude towards
> Hobart?   Nice guy!  It's one thing to have an opinion, it is quite another to
> put unnecessary snide comments into an article which degrade the hard work and
> fine tradition of a good football program.

> How does saying "So yeah, enjoy that home game" advance your point except to
> show contempt for the Hobart program?  This is an undeserved slight, and you
> should seriously be ashamed of yourself.

> Hobart wins 33-15.  Lycoming scored a touchdown with 25 secs left on the clock. 
> Way to call the spread genius.

> Rick Riggi

My reply (only because I had so much time on my hands) :)

Rick,
Yes, I stand by what I wrote. That's part of offering your thoughts out there for everyone's consumption, and frankly, that's how a man would handle it. I guess your son will learn that from Coach Cragg.

I didn't have much to say to you the first time because you seemed like you were more interested in venting than having a rational discussion.

I don't mind constructive criticism. Could I have been more sensitive? Yes.

Do I regret the sentiment of what I wrote? No. We made the decision when we started the site that it would not be the Yearbook Club. We don't only share happy thoughts. I have a responsibility to act as the eyes and ears of readers across the country who do not get to see teams play, talk to players and coaches or spend the hours I spend each week analyzing the national picture, etc. For me to sugarcoat it, I believe, is doing those readers a disservice.

Not only am I not ashamed about that, I'm proud of it. Readers, even ones with sons on the team, have written to say they respect that about the work we do.

I don't see it as showing contempt for Hobart. I see it as being honest about the challenge that awaits. I understand that you disagree.

I'd be delighted if your son's team would beat Mount Union. It would be the most interesting thing to happen early in the playoffs in a long time. Actually, I would have been more delighted if my alma mater had beaten them this week. I wasn't foolish enough to predict they would. They lost 56-0. You see where I'm going with this?

We give Mount Union more respect than anyone else because they have earned it. 13 straight appearances in the semifinals, 11 Stagg Bowls and a classy attitude about it all, win or lose. Not that you would recognize that if you saw it. We don't pick them to do well because it serves our interest, we pick them to do well because that's what's likely to happen.

Doesn't mean they can't be beaten. Doesn't mean we won't be wrong sometimes. I'm wrong a lot. It's an inevitable side effect of making predictions. Should I quit now because you insulted them?

I really do hope you enjoyed Saturday's home game. As for me and my "genius" picks against the spread, I will be sure to come closer on Hobart-Mount Union. And even though you won't like the pick, I hope you enjoy the experience. That is, after all, half the fun of the playoffs.

Hobart is a fine program. If you think you're doing it or your son a service by sending me condescending e-mail, you're wrong. Lucky for your son, it doesn't matter how much you mouth off to me. Hobart will be treated with the respect they have earned. I am certain we will feature the team this week on the site.

I don't wish to continue exchanging messages with you in this tone. Stooping to your level once is enough for me. Feel free to write back though, and enjoy the game this coming Saturday.

Keith McMillan
National Columnist
Keith@D3football.com
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

HScoach

In my best Joe Tait voice: 

SLAM with the right hand.....

Keith,

I wonder what Riggi would think if he wandered over to the OAC Pick-Em page? ;)
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

pumkinattack

Keith, that was a great email back to him.  I don't get the anguish on his part.  When I played, Bart was average to slightly above average in the East (5-4, 6-3 type seasons), but had historically been worse than that.  This is in Cragg's tenure.  He's taken this program and made it very respectable (5 straight NCAA's, 7 out of 9 this decade), but even he has stated that while he takes pride in last year's senior class for being very good and making the playoffs every year, he explicitly notes that they weren't great because the second round was their ceiling.  I'd give a left "you know what" to have played in the playoffs and these kids have come up big in almost all of their big games, but something has been missing at some point along the way, whether its depth, talent, coaching (individual game-wise, not body of work which I think has been terrific).

Long story short, I love what the program has become, but the journey still has a way to go and I look forward to seeing them continue the climb and hope and assume it won't be a sisyphisian (is that the proper use) task.  MUC will almost defnitely win (unless my prayers are answered), but I know Cragg and he'll have these kids ready to play.  At the end of the day, all I want is (assuming MUC does what they are expected to do) for MUC to walk off the field saying "DAMN, they may not have been 'there', but those bastards gave us one hell of a fight" as the Statesmen walk off the field as their name would suggest.   

*If you do give us any love going into this game, a couple of notes:
-Yesterday might've been their best play of the year.  I think they are adjusting to a bunch of new personnel coming on late due to injuries, which partly explains the offense in RPI and U of R.  Marlier looked as good as any of Bart's best backs over the last decade yesterday, cutting and bursting despite snow on the field. 
-They are pretty banged up (TE Duliba and RB Hobaica out for season as of WPI, Vincent and Schulz have missed time and Lovell has been banged up), even Doyle has a separated shoulder (throwing), and underthrew all day long (incl the two picks and the TD to Vincent, which was supposed to be a deep fade, but Vincent came inside the DB to catch it)
-The defense has bent, but held up well all year (Aruck, Hager and Sanders are on par with many of the best in DIII I truly believe), they run a 4-4 designed to stop the run and the biggest weakness is 10 - 15 yrds between the seams on passing plays.  The DB's aren't huge, but cover very well and the safety is 5'4", but played like a giant all year. 
-Hager was their best defenseman on the DI lacrosse team last year and has played in "big games" there including beating #4 Syracuse in the Dome in 2006 (spring, so fall 2005 for football).  A true athlete and in my view more significant than Booth - who got a lot of DIII pub back in the day. 

Jonny Utah

KMack, after next week can you print your next email?

Dear Rick,

Did you enjoy that home game?

Thanks, Kmack

'gro

Quote from: K-Mack on November 23, 2008, 05:13:39 AM
Do I regret the sentiment of what I wrote? No. We made the decision when we started the site that it would not be the Yearbook Club. We don't only share happy thoughts.

Hahaha, yearbook club.

labart96

agreed.

i am about as avid a hobart fan as you'll get:

i've posted nearly 3000 times on these boards - yeah i know my current total doesn't reflect that but don't forget the "board change" that happened a few years back that zapped some old posts;

i been writing weekly bart football columns for the past 2 seasons; and

thanks to frank and eric, even cover them on the BlogTalkRadio.com show

that being said - what that kid's dad wrote was pathetic.  i understand the passion but the comments show a tunnel vision that takes away any credibility. 

i was once a MUC-hater myself and thought the focus of this site was to glorify things MUC and North Region in general, but over time the more closely i read - the broader i expanded my scope - the more comfortable i got with the reality that a) there's 239 teams in D3fb - that's a lot to cover and b) 1 of them, namely MUC flat out is heads and shoulders above the rest.

like you said, the results speak for themselves.

regardless, hopefully hobart will simply play with class and prove to the rest of the D3 nation that they deserve to be ranked in the Top 25 (which is no small accomplishment btw).  Like PA, I played in a day when Hobart was a mediocre at best program.  Their track record since 2000 has been impressive.

But, like PA said, even Coach Cragg will admit that for whatever reason the team hasn't advanced past the second round yet.  Until that happens on a more consistent basis, a true fan of the program can't believe that we are even in the same league as the MUCs of D3.

Either way, this is a great opportunity for the Hobart program no matter what happens.  The late Bill Maxwell always said," To be the best, you have to play the best".  Well, it doesn't get any better than MUC.

I hope our Statesmen will do us proud by playing their hearts out on Saturday.  Even if/when they lose, hopefully they can do so with pride knowing they gave it their best shot and give the rest of the nation notice that whether it's for a quarter, half, etc that they hung with the best.

DutchFan2004

Quote from: K-Mack on November 21, 2008, 10:09:31 PM
Quote from: DutchFan2004 on November 21, 2008, 09:48:53 PM
I am glad you used often instead of always.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I might be second-rate, but I'm not stupid.

How can it be said that the Mount Union of the message board is second rate.  You and Pat I really hold in high esteem.  I may not always agree with you two but you guys are top notch in my book.
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

Pat Coleman

And it's nice to see Keith taking full advantage of the free wireless in the Columbus airport. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MajorDad

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 23, 2008, 08:15:41 PM
And it's nice to see Keith taking full advantage of the free wireless in the Columbus airport. :)

LOL

DutchFan2004

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 23, 2008, 08:15:41 PM

That is cause he has a slave driver for a boss ;D ;D ;D
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

K-Mack

More crzay e-mail from teh weekend. (wow, nice spelling) ... meant to actually get this up in time for the boring last day that no one works before they leave for Thanksgiving break.

This one is super-baffling because:
1) not once did I mention Curry in last week's ATN.
2) I was the one who thought they deserved to be in when we discussed this on the podcast (though I realize not every one sees/listens to every bit of work we do)
3) the guy cc'ed the e-mail to Pat (who didn't think they deserved to be in) so as to brag "look at what I said to Keith."
4) I was the first one to pick an NEFC team (Curry) to win a playoff game, though I was a year early.
5) And this guy and I have traded nice e-mails in the past.

I don't get it, but then again, I don't possess superhuman brainpower.

Have not responded, just thought I would share.

QuoteFrom: NAMEINALLCAPS@aol.com
subject: Kieth Eat's His Words Again

Hi Keith ... "One and done" HA HA!!  Curry made you eat your words again Keith!!!  Curry just beat your D3Football #12 ranked team Ithaca... you didn't even rank Curry in your D3Football top 25! 

Check the stats on today's game!  Curry outplayed Ithaca in every area!!!!!!  The only thing Ithaca got lucky on was the score!

Get a new job Keith: you've been bad mouthing Curry for years and the NEFC too!  That's two straight years the NEFC and Curry won in round one of the tournament. 

KEITH, YOU'RE ALL WET AND SURELY ARE "EATING CURRY-FLAVORED CROW!!!!

Writer's Name
Curry 196x

cc'ed the first one to Pat and Ryan Tipps.

Then sent it to Pat, cc'ed to me and Ryan, with this:

QuoteHi Pat, I sent this to Keith:

(same e-mail)

Probably that and the fact he still uses AOL tells us something :)

Anyway ... I think he sent another one later.

I got some nice e-mail too this week that I should share, but this is the most fun kind.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

wesleydad

keith, i am not going to send it email, i will put it here for all to read.  no matter whether i agree or disagree with any of you on this site, you guys do a great job.  your insight is based on what you know which is more than most of us do about so many of the teams.  the fact that some can not handle it when you or pat or ryan pick against their team just shows how petty they are.  i have been on this site for the last 3 years and you guys have been nothing but professional in your dealings with anything that has had to do with wesley.  sometimes you have picked against them and been wrong, other times you have been way too correct.  it is a shame that some people take all of this personal, when it is nothing more than a couple of peoples educated opinions on a game.  keep up the good work and i hope that you guys never change how you go about putting out your opinions.  i say that before you make your picks for this weekend and if you pick against wesley, everything i just said is a lie.  ;)