BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAMBONE

Quote from: fungoman on March 27, 2008, 06:59:37 PM
Quote from: HAMBONE on March 26, 2008, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: Bman3 on March 26, 2008, 04:14:17 PM
THE_CRU_WHERE_ARE_YOU

I think I hurt THE_CRU_05's feelings.  i got on him pretty hard for messing with Infielddad and JSG.  Im sure he is aware that if the Cru does actually make it to the championship game of the asc tournament that 1 of those east powerhouses will man-handle them.  where is that pansy?  light us up on this message board....we are ready for your cocky-typing to make us think differently about your club.  afterall they did put a beatdown on a strong NCCAA team last night.  maybe they will get an intramural championship t-shirt for their efforts?

Hambone is the one that brought up the "Cru" in the chapmionship. I am still stunned by the lack of intelligence supposed college graduates have. Do they teach you guys anything at Concordia, or did the 2002 world series trip get you a degree?

Last time I checked the coaches do not actually go up to the plate or pitch on the mound during championship tournaments. Gardner may have the experience, but his players dont. Do we really want to talk about his prestigious resume? Or should we keep that one quiet?

Cm'on fungoman dont get all fiesty on us...you are an adult, act like one.  to answer your question (even though i really do not think it needs to be answered) they do teach us a few things @ Concordia.  Its a private institution that has a minimum hourly requirement to obtain a degree just like the state schools.  I mean we actually have books and professors and students....its great, its almost like really going to college.  you should check out the website...www.concordia.edu...

now what I was trying to say about UMHB is the fact that they lack experience in big time games.  thats it.  im not stating that CTX has a roster full of it (b/c i know you will get all defensive and bring that up).  I actually am aware that coaches do not step in the box, and I am aware that they do not toe the rubber in a game.  But are put in postions in the post season that are different than traditional 3 games series that are out of the norm....for instance all the games are 9 innnings, and with the lack of pitching depth in the conference as a whole, it could allow an underdog in terms of fielding percentage and batting avg. moved passed a team like UMHB....and for any team that loses the first game in a double elimination bracket, its hell coming through without post-season experience from the players and coaches alike b/c inexperience causes panic, and panic causes irrational decisions to be made....but we all know that you play the game one game at a time and one pitch at a time.  Thats the only point I was trying to make.  If its not a good point then please coach me so i can learn something.

There is no need to get all personal on this board...if the shoe fits wear it. 

HAMBONE

Quote from: baseballfan24 on March 27, 2008, 02:33:29 PM
Anyone feel like throwing out some predictions for this weekend?

JSG, Ralph

I'll take the following:

McMurry sweeps Shreiner

UMHB wins 2 of 3 over TLU

Hardin-Simmons gets 2 of 3 from Concordia only because it is in Abilene - not sure if I believe my own prediction on this one

HPU wins 2 of 3 at Sul Ross

Tyler sweeps UTD in Tyler - but watch out for Cox he is pretty good

LC wins 2 of 3 at ETBU

Ozarks sweeps Leteurneau

and Mississippi is playing Spalding - I know nothing about them

Any thoughts?

I agree with all of your pics minus 5.

1.) I think LC sweeps ETBU, unless the wind is blowing stright in, then its up in the air (literally).

2.) I think CTX takes at least 2 from HSU.  Morrison needs to pitch deep into game 1 and leave with a solid lead. it will no-doubt be a dogfight between these 2 clubs, maybe even an extra inning game or 2 during the series. I pray for a sweep.  Look for Tom Williams to break a few windows if they pitch to him, this kid can drop the hammer from both sides of the dish.

3.) I m gonna go out on a limb and say TLU takes 2 of 3 from UMHB.  Although TLU hasnt won as many games as usual this year, they have a few things that I saw that tell me they are not out of the fight just yet.  They have a reputation in this conference for winning and winning consistenly.  I saw their squad play 3 games, and they have some good-looking athletes on that team, possibly even a few that may testify under oath to the congress if they arent careful.  They havent quite hit on all cylinders yet, but this is a weekend I think could turn their season around if they will let it.  They have a new coach and some obvious growing pains, but with the spring weather upon us I think the heat is the ultimate equalizer for that bunch.  They are not out of it yet.

4.)  I think UTT takes 2 of 3 from UTD.  Tyler has lost a few games lately, and I think UTD is tired of losing.  There isnt a roster out there that has kids on it that get used to losing especially after the year they had last year.  Along with TLU, I think UTD has the oppurtunity to come out fighting and end their year on an upward plane....and all it takes is for them to take 1 from the #5 team in the nation to give them the confidence they need to win a few games and end their year on a positive note. 

5.)  I think Schriener takes a game from McMurry.  Noones perfect, not even the Indians.  I think SU knows they still have a chance to get into the conference tourney if they beat who they are supposed to beat, swipe a few from the ones they are not, and let teams that look good on paper knock eachother out.  SU is the perfect example this year of a team, that if you arent careful will sneak up on you if underestimate them and forget to respect them....Please prove me wrong McM...on another note, the Indians have 2 pre-season all-americans that are living up to the hype.  Voorhees and Derrick are stroking, and if they show to play they might hurt somebody.  I love the consistency out of the 2, and I hope they hit some bombs this weekend.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 28, 2008, 01:39:57 AM
and they have some good-looking athletes on that team, possibly even a few that may testify under oath to the congress if they arent careful. 

I found this to be a rather interesting observation. Care to drop any names?

JSG

HAMBONE

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 28, 2008, 01:52:34 AM
Quote from: HAMBONE on March 28, 2008, 01:39:57 AM
and they have some good-looking athletes on that team, possibly even a few that may testify under oath to the congress if they arent careful. 

I found this to be a rather interesting observation. Care to drop any names?

JSG

JSG i watched the saturday double header from left-center field and they ran about 4 left-fielders out there...all were good looking, strong athletes.  I am not sure of the names but i think it was #24.  His physical size struck me so i looked him up on the website roster and it didnt look like the same gym-rat i saw in left field....their picture roster was hard to confim as well because they were all wearing over-sized jersey's and off the wall #'s on the front that did not correspond with their roster #.  The lead-off hitter (center fielder) is also a great looking specimen.  They had a DH that looked like Hack Wilson or even better a taller version of Kevin Webster, he just looked like a threat....though Im not sure if he is or not.  The scouting report on their catcher did not match the arm I saw either....dont get me wrong, I am not jocking the TLU club, I am glad to watch some teams beat them, and I hope they get kicked a little while they are down...but I just dont think they are out of it yet.....especially if their radio announcer would decide to be the bat  boy this weekend.  those hitters would be fixed in no-time!

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 28, 2008, 02:10:55 AM
but I just dont think they are out of it yet.....especially if their radio announcer would decide to be the bat  boy this weekend.  those hitters would be fixed in no-time!

Comments like these make me a lot more tolerant of your pointless trash-talk, get a rise out of others posts. Intelligent jabs that only "in-the-know" division III baseball fans would get, like your first post on these forums, bring solid value to this forum. Though I certainly don't mind it, and usually just skip over it, I'm not certain some of the others posts meet that criteria (not that it really matters). That said, you have made quite a few legitimate contributions and I certainly appreciate those, particularly your recent illustration of why the West is still considered the stronger region.

JSG i watched the saturday double header from left-center field and they ran about 4 left-fielders out there...all were good looking, strong athletes.  I am not sure of the names but i think it was #24.  His physical size struck me so i looked him up on the website roster and it didnt look like the same gym-rat i saw in left field....their picture roster was hard to confim as well because they were all wearing over-sized jersey's and off the wall #'s on the front that did not correspond with their roster #.  The lead-off hitter (center fielder) is also a great looking specimen.  They had a DH that looked like Hack Wilson or even better a taller version of Kevin Webster, he just looked like a threat....though Im not sure if he is or not.  The scouting report on their catcher did not match the arm I saw either....dont get me wrong, I am not jocking the TLU club, I am glad to watch some teams beat them, and I hope they get kicked a little while they are down

The scouting report said he had an arm, or no?

I guess all of those guys are relatively big, but I do not know that all of their builds would suggest supplemental use. I would say that McMurry has quite a bit 'bigger' roster in terms of physical size than TLU, the UT Dallas team last year certainly did, and the Mississippi College teams of a 2-3 years ago were really large as well.

I think you are probably barking up the wrong tree with the accusation, particularly because of the way that program was run under the tenure of Bill Miller, and Burnett having served under him for so long. Both have always seemed to present themselves with integrity in my minimal experience watching them.

I wouldn't persume to accuse anyone of substance abuse, but if I were to look anywhere, I could probably be more prone to looking at teams that feature lots of junior college transfers. Those guys are competing for highly-competitive spots, and usually an opportunity to play division I baseball. I think they would be more prone to try steroids than a division III guy who's chances to go pro are VERY minimal and who have rosters relatively thin so that if you can play the game, chances are you'll get that opportunity.

It doesn't hurt that I have had plenty of JUCO players tell me they were "fed steroids like they were Advil."

I think with all that has gone on the last couple of years it is a lot less prevalent.

In any event, thanks for the laugh.

JSG

HAMBONE

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 28, 2008, 02:37:02 AM
but I just dont think they are out of it yet.....especially if their radio announcer would decide to be the bat  boy this weekend.  those hitters would be fixed in no-time!

Comments like these make me a lot more tolerant of your pointless trash-talk, get a rise out of others posts. Intelligent jabs that only "in-the-know" division III baseball fans would get, like your first post on these forums, bring solid value to this forum. Though I certainly don't mind it, and usually just skip over it, I'm not certain some of the others posts meet that criteria (not that it really matters). That said, you have made quite a few legitimate contributions and I certainly appreciate those, particularly your recent illustration of why the West is still considered the stronger region.

JSG i watched the saturday double header from left-center field and they ran about 4 left-fielders out there...all were good looking, strong athletes.  I am not sure of the names but i think it was #24.  His physical size struck me so i looked him up on the website roster and it didnt look like the same gym-rat i saw in left field....their picture roster was hard to confim as well because they were all wearing over-sized jersey's and off the wall #'s on the front that did not correspond with their roster #.  The lead-off hitter (center fielder) is also a great looking specimen.  They had a DH that looked like Hack Wilson or even better a taller version of Kevin Webster, he just looked like a threat....though Im not sure if he is or not.  The scouting report on their catcher did not match the arm I saw either....dont get me wrong, I am not jocking the TLU club, I am glad to watch some teams beat them, and I hope they get kicked a little while they are down

I guess all of those guys are relatively big, but I do not know that all of their builds would suggest supplemental use. I would say that McMurry has quite a bit 'bigger' roster in terms of physical size than TLU, the UT Dallas team last year certainly did, and the Mississippi College teams of a 2-3 years ago were really large as well.

I think you are probably barking up the wrong tree with the accusation, particularly because of the way that program was run under the tenure of Bill Miller, and Burnett having served under him for so long. Both have always seemed to present themselves with integrity in my minimal experience watching them.

I wouldn't persume to accuse anyone of substance abuse, but if I were to look anywhere, I could probably be more prone to looking at teams that feature lots of junior college transfers. Those guys are competing for highly-competitive spots, and usually an opportunity to play division I baseball. I think they would be more prone to try steroids than a division III guy who's chances to go pro are VERY minimal and who have rosters relatively thin so that if you can play the game, chances are you'll get that opportunity.

It doesn't hurt that I have had plenty of JUCO players tell me they were "fed steroids like they were Advil."

I think with all that has gone on the last couple of years it is a lot less prevalent.

In any event, thanks for the laugh.

JSG

I plan on attending game 1 of the UMHB/TLU series.  I will actually get a program and learn a few names so i can identify the guys that appear to be eating a stronger than the reccommended dosage of their vitamins.....i really wasnt directly implying that any of them (TLU guys) were on performance enhancing drugs, but a few of them struck me as big guys, and for them to strike me as big guys and actually take the time to look at their website, then i guess i am indirectly implying that they are by bringing them up.  Im not sure if that made sense, but either way i will confirm my own opinion this weekend either tomorrow night or saturday and update you die hard D3 baseball fans.

Sader22

Hambone just responded to your message via email and yeah its me, and no im not going to get a chance to make it down there and watch them play.  Let me know how it goes

HAMBONE

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 28, 2008, 02:37:02 AM

Scouting report says you can steal on this guy.  20/23 successful steal attempts.  he has thrown out only 3.  to his plea his case, logan hull (his ace pitcher) leads the conference in HBP so im sure he doesnt exactly execute on a pitch out either....which makes me wonder how much help he is getting from the rest of his staff?  But the arm i saw at the CTX series was a "live arm" ... just an observation.  ill check it out this weekend.  if anyone will test it, it will be that UMHB club...Froschel, Villegas, Volz, and White.  I might even take a stop watch so i can point fingers.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: baseballfan24 on March 27, 2008, 02:33:29 PM
Anyone feel like throwing out some predictions for this weekend?

JSG, Ralph

I'll take the following:

McMurry sweeps Schreiner  But we sometimes slip up

UMHB wins 2 of 3 over TLU   If not sweeping the Bulldogs

Hardin-Simmons gets 2 of 3 from Concordia only because it is in Abilene - not sure if I believe my own prediction on this one

HPU wins 2 of 3 at Sul Ross   

Tyler sweeps UTD in Tyler - but watch out for Cox he is pretty good (UT-D's best chance for a win.)

LC wins 2 of 3 at ETBU

Ozarks sweeps Leteurneau

and Mississippi is playing Spalding - I know nothing about them  (Spalding KY -- a provisional member)

Any thoughts?
Travel safely, all.

fungoman

Anyone know why I am not allowed to send private messages?

HAMBONE

Quote from: fungoman on March 28, 2008, 10:02:34 AM
Anyone know why I am not allowed to send private messages?

maybe try turning your pop-blocker of temporarily?  not sure if it is a status requirement either like if you have to become a second-stringer before you are granted PM priviledges.

....im no guru at this site, i just click on stuff and keep finding more options, but if while reading the main threads....for example page 61, and you wanted to send me one, look at a post that i put up and under Hambone there is 3 icon boxes...the one on the far right is the messenger.

make sure you are logged in.  you may need to go into actual email account that you used to settup your screenname and verify the first PM you send or recieve.  if those 3 or 4 things wont allow it to work then i dont know.

anyone else know?

HAMBONE

can someone please tell me what karma is?  why am i negative?  negative karma tells me that i shouldnt leave the house today....but im just sayin.

CUAfan

Quote from: CUAfan on March 23, 2008, 08:55:37 PM
My picks for next weekend:

Ozarks sweeps LeTourneau
Mary Hardin-Baylor sweeps Texas Lutheran
Texas-Tyler sweeps Texas-Dallas
Louisiana College takes 2 from East Texas Baptist
Hardin-Simmons takes 2 from Concordia-Texas
Howard Payne takes 2 from Sul Ross State
McMurry sweeps Schreiner

These are my picks that I posted a few pages back.

And on a side note, good-natured smack talk is one thing, but will you three CTX musketeers (and anyone else who has been responding to them) please quit making personal statements about the other posters. Such behavior should be below anyone who is old enough to be posting on this board. You want to talk about someone else's team? Fine. But quit insulting people's intelligence and the like...it just makes it harder for the rest of us to discuss substance.
Let's go 'Nados!

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 28, 2008, 01:08:25 PM
can someone please tell me what karma is?  why am i negative?  negative karma tells me that i shouldnt leave the house today....but im just sayin.

1.) I don't know the answer to the about the pm system. It's probably a certain number of posts so that you don't have people just coming on and spamming members inboxes with ridiculous deals like, "Batting lessons for $1,000/hr."

2.) Karma is something that people with relatively large post counts can disperse to other members. It's kind of a harmless way to give people heads up. If someone has a -250 karma chances are they're a pain in the ass (though sometimes they do not what they're talking about when they're not being overly biased, spence). The alternative, if someone has good karma chances are it's safe to assume they've made a lot of valuable contributions to the board and are well-respected by their peers.

JSG

HAMBONE

okay good.  im gonna leave the house now.  i was looking out the windows for a black tom cat and a latter....im drivng to Belton in about 15 min....ill probably get  a speeding ticket on their campus b/c of my -1 karma...