FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoreman

Future Sewanee Tiger schedules.
Some interesting matchups with schools in VA in 2014

http://static.psbin.com/o/1/60gi93zvekmmox/Futurefootballschedules.docx..pdf

awadelewis

Article in today's Nashville paper discussing the changes to the field at Sewanee.   Includes a video with comments from Coach Laurendine.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130826/SPORTS06/308260088/Sewanee-makes-big-changes-to-South-s-oldest-field?nclick_check=1

jknezek

Quote from: Shoreman on August 26, 2013, 10:51:53 AM
Future Sewanee Tiger schedules.
Some interesting matchups with schools in VA in 2014

http://static.psbin.com/o/1/60gi93zvekmmox/Futurefootballschedules.docx..pdf

Can't tell you how happy I am to see W&L on the schedule. The Generals don't post that far out, but after the debacle of dropping Centre for a few years (thankfully corrected) I'm glad to see that at least as far as the reasonable future the W&L-Sewanee game is safe.

Shoreman

Just read the d3football.com preview for the Sewanee Tigers. Prediction of a 2 win season is way to pessimistic, Would not be surprised with a 5-5 season at minimum.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Shoreman on August 28, 2013, 10:14:40 PM
Just read the d3football.com preview for the Sewanee Tigers. Prediction of a 2 win season is way to pessimistic, Would not be surprised with a 5-5 season at minimum.

Which games on that schedule are they winning?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 28, 2013, 10:23:07 PM

Berry and Hendrix should be easy wins. Centre and Willamette aren't going to be all that strong. Depauw might be swinging up, but they haven't been much lately and it's at Sewanee. Same with Maryville. Not exactly titans and it is Up on the Mountain. Willamette was only a 4pt game last year but it is a long cross country flight for Sewanee. I don't think Sewanee will break their long struggle against W&L this year, especially in Lexington, but the game was close into the 4th quarter last year between two teams that have similar styles.

I could see 2 wins in Berry, Hendrix and a good shot at beating Maryville and/or Depauw at home. Also one of the away games Centre, Willamette, or W&L are probably in play. It's not out of the question that Sewanee gets 3-5 wins. I think 2 is definitely the bottom dollar prediction.

Pat Coleman

I don't think Willamette is a winnable game. I agree that DePauw or Maryville might be but to pick up three aside from the ones we projected, Berry and Hendrix, is a lot to ask.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 28, 2013, 10:49:58 PM
I don't think Willamette is a winnable game. I agree that DePauw or Maryville might be but to pick up three aside from the ones we projected, Berry and Hendrix, is a lot to ask.

Willamette was kind of my least likely. It was only a 4pt game last year and Willamette only returns 9 players, so it's tough to say they will be head and shoulders better based on that data. Of course, Willamette took the flight last year and I put a lot of stock in home versus away since it matters so much in the ODAC.

Still, 3-5 wins is doable. A prediction of 2 really means Sewanee plays to the bottom of expectations. Even last year they picked up the surprise win at B-SC. I find it hard to believe they won't pull at least one or two more wins this year with 8 offensive returners.

That triple option is exotic enough to trip up any team that is looking beyond the Tigers and not paying enough attention in practice.

Shoreman

Put Rhodes in the winnable column also. Keep in mind that this is Coach Laurandine's 3rd recruiting class to run the triple. Defensively the Tigers will be much more experienced.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: jknezek on August 28, 2013, 11:01:34 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 28, 2013, 10:49:58 PM

Willamette was kind of my least likely. It was only a 4pt game last year and Willamette only returns 9 players, so it's tough to say they will be head and shoulders better based on that data. Of course, Willamette took the flight last year and I put a lot of stock in home versus away since it matters so much in the ODAC.

Still, 3-5 wins is doable. A prediction of 2 really means Sewanee plays to the bottom of expectations. Even last year they picked up the surprise win at B-SC. I find it hard to believe they won't pull at least one or two more wins this year with 8 offensive returners.

That triple option is exotic enough to trip up any team that is looking beyond the Tigers and not paying enough attention in practice.

Also, it is easier to travel West than East

Just A Guy

Quote from: jknezek on August 28, 2013, 10:46:41 PM

Berry and Hendrix should be easy wins. Centre and Willamette aren't going to be all that strong. Depauw might be swinging up, but they haven't been much lately and it's at Sewanee. Same with Maryville. Not exactly titans and it is Up on the Mountain. Willamette was only a 4pt game last year but it is a long cross country flight for Sewanee. I don't think Sewanee will break their long struggle against W&L this year, especially in Lexington, but the game was close into the 4th quarter last year between two teams that have similar styles.

I could see 2 wins in Berry, Hendrix and a good shot at beating Maryville and/or Depauw at home. Also one of the away games Centre, Willamette, or W&L are probably in play. It's not out of the question that Sewanee gets 3-5 wins. I think 2 is definitely the bottom dollar prediction.

Centre is not going to be all that strong?  I am curious why you would think that....

Shoreman

Centre is always tough. But for some reason Sewanee has matched up well with them in the last couple of years.

Just A Guy

Quote from: Shoreman on August 30, 2013, 09:20:31 PM
Centre is always tough. But for some reason Sewanee has matched up well with them in the last couple of years.

Very good game, I can't wait!!!!

jknezek

Quote from: Just A Guy on August 30, 2013, 08:55:22 PM
Quote from: jknezek on August 28, 2013, 10:46:41 PM

Centre is not going to be all that strong?  I am curious why you would think that....

Coming off a weak season. They are bringing back 15 starters, but a new offensive line is always tough to break in when you rely on throwing the ball. The best returning rusher had only 300 yards or so last year. If the offensive line gives time, then Centre will be fine. QB returns and so do some good receivers, but the time has to be there. If not, well, .500 is a real possibility. At Wash U, at Rhodes, at Millsaps and the schedule isn't doing them a big favor either. The Colonels wouldn't be favored by too many in any of those games right now. Home for W&L and B-SC are going to be a challenge as well.

On the other hand, they get two easy games to open to give the line time to gel. Bethany and Rose-Hulman shouldn't be too bad, and it's nice to have those mid-season first year teams to give yourself a break as well. I just don't see Centre as being the class of the SAA with Millsaps and BSC, both of whom more than doubled up the Colonels last year. The Sewanee game was only 4 points and Sewanee brings back about as much as Centre.

If I'm making lines Centre is the favorite against Sewanee, especially at home, but I don't see Centre as some prohibitive favorite. The W&L game should give Centre fans an idea of where they stand, especially against another triple option team like Sewanee.