Best DIII Stadiums

Started by hazzben, July 19, 2013, 02:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

Quote from: AO on August 01, 2013, 03:09:02 PM
Quote from: NCF on August 01, 2013, 02:59:04 PM
Quote from: jknezek on August 01, 2013, 02:18:35 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on August 01, 2013, 12:43:50 PM
I think my most recent count of stadiums visited was up to 22...so I'm still under 10%.

That's really good. Counting my time in school I am at 17, having added Huntingdon and Birmingham-Southern last year. I don't think I'll get to a new one this year. Unfortunately the last 9 years have been spent in FL and AL, not exactly D3 hotbeds with lots of stadium choices nearby...
I didn't realize just how many, until I went back and counted. During the past four years, I've been to 31 stadiums.
holleee cow, even if these visits weren't just for football games, that's hard to do.  What's your top 5?
Top five: Lacrosse, Platteville, Cal Lutheran,Stout, Linfield ( because it reminded me of a turn of the century baseball stadium and I was waiting for men in suits and straw hats to come out and take a seat ;D :o). North Central's stadium will always be my sentimental favorite but it could use a facelift. Still a very nice D3 stadium as is Benedictine's down the street.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

wildcat11

Quote from: NCF on August 02, 2013, 01:04:45 PM
Top five: Lacrosse, Platteville, Cal Lutheran,Stout, Linfield ( because it reminded me of a turn of the century baseball stadium and I was waiting for men in suits and straw hats come out and take a seat ;D :o).

NCF,

I would think the 'Catdome would remind you of a bakery with all those turnovers North Central was serving up.

wally_wabash

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

NCF

Quote from: wildcat11 on August 02, 2013, 02:16:49 PM
Quote from: NCF on August 02, 2013, 01:04:45 PM
Top five: Lacrosse, Platteville, Cal Lutheran,Stout, Linfield ( because it reminded me of a turn of the century baseball stadium and I was waiting for men in suits and straw hats come out and take a seat ;D :o).

NCF,

I would think the 'Catdome would remind you of a bakery with all those turnovers North Central was serving up.
Yep-cost us the *&#@$in' game. Glad junior wasn't on offense cuz they were downright offensive! :):) But-good one. Your campus is beautiful and your dining hall downright inviting-food was good as well. I enjoyed the trip-the game-not so much:(
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

olddog

Here is my list for the SCIAC

1) Ted Runner...come on have to give me that one...short concession lines too, Pomona and TR best visitor stands, 6750
2) CLU, new and close to the field, visitor side not so good, 4000
3) Chapman, nice home side...visitor stands too offset..., 3800
4) Pomona, I just like how close one is to the field, no track, big oaks, 2500
5) Whittier, one can see a mile, one side hurts things, long walk for the players and fans , 7000
6) Claremont...good lights , 1500
7) Oxy, just seems cold to me, even though great lore at that track ...sorry Oxy, 2500
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

AO

Crown's new KleinBank stadium deserves a mention, though there don't appear to be any good pictures at the moment.

update 8/7,
Home stands are in.  I'm surprised they didn't just use the hill to their advantage, so you could walk down to your seats and not have to walk in front of everyone to get to the other side of the bleachers.

AO

since Crown made the list for the first D3football.com road trip itinerary, I'll post a couple more pics.

From This:

to this:

madzillagd

Didn't see any pics of CLU's William Rolland Stadium yet even though it got a mention.  You can see the stadium a lot better in this quick video than you can on the still pics they provide on the site.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTHNYLiVVAI   Some things I love about it but also some things I could do without.  As mentioned, the visitors side is pretty weak compared to the home side (but it's better than the previous version at Mt. Clef that is for sure). 

As some know, there is an art gallery (aka a place for William Rolland to show off his expensive stuff) in the stadium.  Any other non-sports related joint uses in any other stadiums around the country? 

wildcat11

Quote from: madzillagd on August 13, 2013, 11:36:32 AM
As some know, there is an art gallery (aka a place for William Rolland to show off his expensive stuff) in the stadium.  Any other non-sports related joint uses in any other stadiums around the country?

The Front of Linfield's Memorial Stadium is an all-female dorm (Memorial Hall).  For a long time it was home to one Linfield's Fraternities (K-Sig) before they moved out and it was then converted back into a dorm. 

AO

Quote from: wildcat11 on August 13, 2013, 12:03:56 PM
Quote from: madzillagd on August 13, 2013, 11:36:32 AM

The Front of Linfield's Memorial Stadium is an all-female dorm (Memorial Hall).  For a long time it was home to one Linfield's Fraternities (K-Sig) before they moved out and it was then converted back into a dorm. 

Macalester also uses their stadium as a dorm, specifically, a Veggie Co-op dorm.  I wonder if they get upset when they smell the hot dogs from the concession stand on the first floor.

frank uible

I wonder if the alums in the stands get upset when they smell the pot fumes coming from the dormitory.

Knightstalker

Quote from: frank uible on August 13, 2013, 12:38:36 PM
I wonder if the alums in the stands get upset when they smell the pot fumes coming from the dormitory.

Only for a short time, then they start buying hot dogs.  I think this must be a school conspiracy to generate greater concession revenues.  Brilliance!   8-)

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Ron Boerger

Quote from: frank uible on August 13, 2013, 12:38:36 PM

No, they think "does THAT bring back some memories"!  :-)

Just Bill

CUW's football stadium's press box is accessed through the parking ramp...

http://www.cuwfalcons.com/facilities/tomasinistadium

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

AO

Quote from: Just Bill on August 14, 2013, 03:19:17 PM
CUW's football stadium's press box is accessed through the parking ramp...

http://www.cuwfalcons.com/facilities/tomasinistadium

I was really hopeful there wasn't a track as I couldn't see one in the photo, but alas, a track still lingers, and from what I can tell from their website, they don't host any track meets!