FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

you picked two pretty darn good games. My oldest played in both of them so I watched every single play; I think the 2012 W&L vs HSC was the better of the two. Might have been the best individual effort as well. Heinsohn was simply amazing to watch and I knew he was going to make that damn FG to win it.

the 2008 (or 09) HSC vs. RMC mud bowl was a pretty damn good game as well.

HSCTiger64

H-SC and WLU had some battles there in the early 2010's!  2010-2012 all had the ODAC title come down to it!  I happened down a wormhole when talking to a kid I coach about HSC when I was in school and ended up pulling up YouTube highlights from 2012 game, man it was wild reliving that game with him.  2015 was another good battle during Koonce's year. 

hasanova

As a Guilford fan, five games come to mind:

2006 BC at GC   A fine game-long defensive effort (including the pivotal final series) by the Quakers led to a 33-28 Guilford win that snapped the Eagles' 35-game ODAC winning streak.  It was one of the highlights of a rare (at that time) 6-4 GC season and perhaps marked a changing of the guard for Bridgewater and the ODAC.

2013 E&H at GC  It was a tale of two games, as the Wasps led 31-0 with 9 minutes to go in the 3rd Quarter.  In one of the greatest comebacks I have ever seen, the Quakers scored on five straight possessions capped by a 42-yard Matt Pawlowski to Adam Smith TD pass with 19 seconds to go.  After the 35-31 win, I was elated but actually felt sorry for the Wasps fans and players as they went from high to totally deflated in such a short period.  Both teams entered the game 5-4, so GC ended 6-4 and E&H 5-5.  It was HC Don Montgomery's last game at E&H.

2014 GC at HSC  A Junior-led Quaker squad scored and kicked the PAT to force a 28 all tie as time expired.  In OT, the Tigers scored first and GC failed to score.  The 35-28 HSC win forced a 4-way 5-2 tie for first and prevented the Quakers from going 6-1 and securing their first NCAA berth.  Many GC fans (including me) felt the momentum was on our side and rue the fact that we did not go for 2 at the end of regulation.

2015 GC at W&L An undefeated Senior-led Quaker squad faced an undefeated option-crazy General team on a rainy day in Lexington.  GC star QB Matt Pawlowski was knocked out with a concussion after one quarter.  The teams battled the whole game before a school-record 51 yard FG won it for W&L, 20-17.  The game also included an overturned GC recovery of an onside kick in the waning minutes ... I will always say it went 10 yards as I positioned myself on the line of scrimmage to watch the play.  W&L finished 10-0 and GC 9-1 in a one-bid NCAA playoff season for the ODAC.   C'est la vie.

2017 E&H at GC It was deja vu all over again as the Wasps dominated the first half, 21-0.  The Quakers stormed back with six 2nd half TDs to win, 42-38.  Trailing 38-28, GC got two long TD runs from De'Eric Bell in the last 7 minutes to even their season at 5-5.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

I forgot all about that 2014 OT game GC vs. HSC.

I could not believe the decision not to go for 2 point conversion. Our defense was winded and GC's offense was rolling.

Great game to watch; both teams played well.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 20, 2018, 04:17:58 PM
Hasa

I could not believe the decision not to go for 2 point conversion. Our defense was winded and GC's offense was rolling.

tfa2, that's the way I saw it.  My friends and I talked about that decision all the way back to Greensboro.  It was a great game.  GC fans thought 2014 and 2015 were our best bets to finally go to the playoffs and neither panned out.  Someday, I hope it will happen.  :)

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: hasanova on September 20, 2018, 09:08:06 PM
Hasa

tfa2, that's the way I saw it.  My friends and I talked about that decision all the way back to Greensboro.  It was a great game.  GC fans thought 2014 and 2015 were our best bets to finally go to the playoffs and neither panned out.  Someday, I hope it will happen.  :)

I'm missing those days. Looking back at box score HSC had 227 rushing on 41 carries!

That stat made me want to look back at the last couple of years. Since 2016 HSC is a whooping 8-14. Interestingly enough HSC is 7-2 when rushing OVER 100 yards but 1-12 when rushing for less than 100.

Another stat - when HSC attempts just 30 carries per game they've gone 7-3. When they've attempted 29 or less they are 1-11. 

I just went and looked back at stats from 2013. Their record is 2-19 in games they attempt 29 or fewer carries in a game.  I think if I were Marty the first 30 plays in any game would be runs! 

HSC had better hope they found a better running game during this time off. If not 2018 will be a repeat of 2016.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 20, 2018, 11:31:02 PM
Quote from: hasanova on September 20, 2018, 09:08:06 PM
Hasa

I'm missing those days. Looking back at box score HSC had 227 rushing on 41 carries!

That stat made me want to look back at the last couple of years. Since 2016 HSC is a whooping 8-14. Interestingly enough HSC is 7-2 when rushing OVER 100 yards but 1-12 when rushing for less than 100.

Another stat - when HSC attempts just 30 carries per game they've gone 7-3. When they've attempted 29 or less they are 1-11.

Their best rushing performance in that time was 208 yards in a rare 2016 win over SU. Their worst was CNU 2 weeks ago with -8!

HSC had better hope they found a better running game during this time off. If not 2018 will be a repeat of 2016.

I've been after this for a few years. I don't know what changed, but H-SC, when they were a powerhouse, were much more balanced. Sure they could kill you with the pass, but they also ran hard and were physical doing it. Since Koonce, they've given up on running the football. I don't know if it's in the line, or not having a back they can rely on, but it's really tough to win without any running game. Now it's really tough to win without a passing game too, and W&L does it pretty well, but at least the option is a nasty wrinkle that is hard to prepare for. Every team runs shotgun reads to some degree at this point, and while I'm sure from a coaching level of detail, H-SC has some nasty wrinkles in the passing game, it's still similar to a lot of other schemes run in the ODAC. If you don't have next level talent, and H-SC hasn't in more than just the last 2 years, it's real hard to win just by being better than everyone at one facet of what everyone else is doing. In my opinion Shenandoah is learning the same lesson.

And I'm not ragging on the coaches because coaches at all levels do this. Don Shula was one of the greatest coaches of all time. From the Colts in the 60s, through the undefeated season in Miami and right up to 1983, he was a balanced offensive coach (for the time, which obviously meant more running than passing, but still, mostly balanced). Once Marino landed in Miami it all changed. And while some years, when the talent was above and beyond, the Dolphins did well, for the most part, one of the best QBs of all time was squandered by a system that wasn't balanced in the slightest. The O line couldn't run block, the team didn't make drafting RBs a priority, and the receivers couldn't hold a block to save their lives.

Coaches fall into this trap all the time, at every level of the game. And I feel like you need some new opinions around the head coach to pull him back out of it, because it's real hard to see when you are down a hole you dug yourself.

HSCTiger64

Another good topic for us, I am more of recent revisionist history person, but top ODAC team from the past decade so 08-17?  I feel like HASA had some good Guilford teams that, despite not securing a playoff bid were up there as pretty awesome teams. Just to recap the champs

08-RMC, believe this was a weird 3 or 4 way tie year where the Jackets got the playoff bid
09-H-SC-10-0 season and Mud Bowl win over Macon, home loss in post-season
10-W&L-Probably out of nowhere the Gennies start their run, even though Miriello was the HC you can call the Abell run
11-H-SC, lost to Huntingdon, took down W&L in a good title game, but lost out on undefeated ODAC season by losing to RMC the next week
12-W&L-winners of the 4OT thriller, and the beginning of the Abell era.
13-H-SC.  Trying to remember the non-conference loss, but beat Macon for the ODAC title and beat Maryville at home before giving Linfield a good game out on the Left Coast.
14-H-SC.  Weirdest thing I'd ever seen as an alum when we lost to RMC and still got to celebrate the ODAC title....
15-W&L-Undefeated season if I remember correctly?  (I'm just going off top of head with all this stuff).   Impressive victories along the way though many would say if Guilford's Senior QB doesn't go down may of been a different story
16-RMC.  I'm an H-SC fan....and 2016 wasn't the best year for my fanhood or me professionally  so I try not to remember much
17-W&L.  Played well in Round 1 against the Mount. 

If I am ranking the teams, just from what I have seen (granted 16-17 I moved away and haven't seen a ton of ODAC football)

1. 09 H-SC
2. 15 W&L
3. 13 H-SC
4. 17-W&L
5. 11 H-SC
6. 16 R-MC
7. 12 W&L
8. 14 H-SC
9. 10 W&L
10. 08 RMC

I know I have nothing to do but start debates on a message board, but just me and I could flip flop back and forth on these a lot, feel like the two unbeatens at the top is appropriate, and feel like the 13 H-SC team should get some credit for being pretty darn talented and bringing a rare ODAC playoff victory to the club....also....10 years and the title breakdown in a league defined by "anybody can beat anybody" has had their titles split amongst 3 teams.....really if you wanna include 06 and 07 then they have had 12 titles by 3 teams.....
5 W&L 5 H-SC and 2 RMC.....

HSCTiger64

Quote from: HSCTiger64 on September 21, 2018, 11:10:19 AM
Another good topic for us, I am more of recent revisionist history person, but top ODAC team from the past decade so 08-17?  I feel like HASA had some good Guilford teams that, despite not securing a playoff bid were up there as pretty awesome teams. Just to recap the champs

08-RMC, believe this was a weird 3 or 4 way tie year where the Jackets got the playoff bid
09-H-SC-10-0 season and Mud Bowl win over Macon, home loss in post-season
10-W&L-Probably out of nowhere the Gennies start their run, even though Miriello was the HC you can call the Abell run
11-H-SC, lost to Huntingdon, took down W&L in a good title game, but lost out on undefeated ODAC season by losing to RMC the next week
12-W&L-winners of the 4OT thriller, and the beginning of the Abell era.
13-H-SC.  Trying to remember the non-conference loss, but beat Macon for the ODAC title and beat Maryville at home before giving Linfield a good game out on the Left Coast.
14-H-SC.  Weirdest thing I'd ever seen as an alum when we lost to RMC and still got to celebrate the ODAC title....
15-W&L-Undefeated season if I remember correctly?  (I'm just going off top of head with all this stuff).   Impressive victories along the way though many would say if Guilford's Senior QB doesn't go down may of been a different story
16-RMC.  I'm an H-SC fan....and 2016 wasn't the best year for my fanhood or me professionally  so I try not to remember much
17-W&L.  Played well in Round 1 against the Mount. 

If I am ranking the teams, just from what I have seen (granted 16-17 I moved away and haven't seen a ton of ODAC football)

1. 09 H-SC
2. 15 W&L
3. 13 H-SC
4. 17-W&L
5. 11 H-SC
6. 16 R-MC
7. 12 W&L
8. 14 H-SC
9. 10 W&L
10. 08 RMC

I know I have nothing to do but start debates on a message board, but just me and I could flip flop back and forth on these a lot, feel like the two unbeatens at the top is appropriate, and feel like the 13 H-SC team should get some credit for being pretty darn talented and bringing a rare ODAC playoff victory to the club....also....10 years and the title breakdown in a league defined by "anybody can beat anybody" has had their titles split amongst 3 teams.....really if you wanna include 06 and 07 then they have had 12 titles by 3 teams.....
5 W&L 5 H-SC and 2 RMC.....

I'd also add I have seen some GOOD teams that I feel are top 10, that didn't win the league that year (much like the 9-1 Guilford team in 15)  but I limited myself to champs

HSCTiger fan

64 - the conference loss in 13 was to SU. HSC missed 2 of their first 3 extra points. Was up 19 to 0 and loss 34-35 or 35-36 when SU scores with less than a minute to go after SU converts a 2 point conversation. Hasa you remember this right?

I agree with your top ten. The best team imo that did not win the ODAC was HSC 2010.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

HSCTiger64

I remembered the wacky loss at Homecoming to Shenandoah, was trying to remember if we lost to CNU on the road in the non-conference scheduling and man 2010 the Tigers had some studs!  Last ODAC team to get an at large bid!

hasanova

I personally think the 2015 GC team that went 9-1 was in the Top 3.  Barring an injury, perhaps even better on most Saturdays than the 10-0 W&L team.  I realize it's awfully hard to argue against a team that was undefeated (and kudos to the Generals!), but Murphy was alive and well in Lexington that day.

Jeremybozz

AFCA Coaches Poll:

36 Washington & Lee 26 vote points
49 Randolph Macon 4 vote points
49 Guilford 4 vote points

hasanova

Bridgewater in the 2001-2006 timeframe was as close to a dynasty as the ODAC has seen ... the Eagles dominated the league and even had a national runner-up squad.  They beat good teams by three TDs and bad teams by nine. 

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Jeremybozz on September 22, 2018, 06:39:09 AM
AFCA Coaches Poll:

36 Washington & Lee 26 vote points
49 Randolph Macon 4 vote points
49 Guilford 4 vote points

Jeremy just because a team receives vote does NOT make them the 36th or 49th RANKED team. The voters are voting on the top 25 NOT the top 50. 

Example: The 100 voters, hypothetically ALL want HSC as 26th or the first team out. They receive no votes. But RMC receives 1 vote to be in the top 25 but the other 99 voters would have put them 240th. They are not ranked higher than HSC. They just received a vote.
Hampden Sydney College