BB: SCAC: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 04, 2006, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Per a tweet from Zach Fregosi, former TU SS Christian Muscarello has signed with the St. Louis Cardinals organization.

Bishopleftiesdad

108 Stitches

From a tweet from Zack Fregosi:

November 7th, the Trinity University Tigers will take on the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Ok.
This will be a fundraiser/awareness game, if you would like to get involved in donation, please DM or email zfregosi@trinity.edu

From what I understand it is a breast cancer fundraising event. 

Ron Boerger

For anyone wondering about the connection, Sooners coach Pete Hughes' first head coaching gig was at Trinity (1997-98).    After he took Trinity from 19-19 to 33-11 during his two year stint, Boston College came calling and he's been coaching in the D1 ranks ever since.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 28, 2014, 12:09:27 PM
For anyone wondering about the connection, Sooners coach Pete Hughes' first head coaching gig was at Trinity (1997-98).    After he took Trinity from 19-19 to 33-11 during his two year stint, Boston College came calling and he's been coaching in the D1 ranks ever since.

+1 for that tidbit.

108 Stitches

Updated SCAC / TU baseball news:

Former Trinity pitcher Ben Klimesh is pitching in the Arizona Fall League and is holding his own against some of the best young players in MiLB. Congrats to Ben; if he continues to do well he will likely get an invite to the Reds MLB spring training camp.

More on the TU/OU baseball scrimmage and the "Save 2nd Base" breast cancer fundraiser.

http://trinitytigers.com/newsletter/2014/october_saac?utm_source=Our+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=583c25f465-Tiger_Pride_October_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_00cfaca66d-583c25f465-160459609

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=750383&SPID=127257&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209692488

TU "Fall World Series" starts Nov 14-16th for those in the area who might want to stop by.

108 Stitches

Ben Klimesh pitched in the Arizona Fall League All-Star game. He pitched 2/3rds giving up one hit and one K. Congrats to Ben!

sportsfan

how is Klimesh doing and will he make the Reds this year?  How is TU this year? looks like they lost some key players but not many arms.

Bishopleftiesdad

I am a reds fan. I doubt he makes the reds this year. But he is still doing very well. Since he went to the Arizona Fall League, they consider him a balid prospect. I am not sure if he projects as a starter or reliever.

108 Stitches

I am thinking that Klimesh will get an invite to the MLB camp but who knows. Likely will have another year in the minors before he has a chance for the MLB 40 man, but I don't really follow the Reds and know what their pipeline looks like.

As far as TU, they lost SS, CF and C; which are all up the middle and critical to their success. They always have a pipeline of talent so they should be OK as far as replacing those three, the rest of the starters are returners, but you don't really replace a Hirshberg very easily. They probably have the deepest and most talented pitching staff I have seen in 4 years, it will be interesting to see who emerges as the 4-5 starters. Their pitching will keep them in every game and if the defense is solid then they can win on pitching and defense alone. They should be a Regional team again this year and their pitching staff has the potential to be one of the best in D3, but it is early to really know.

Southwestern should be greatly improved as well as Centenary. TLU lost a lot of talent.

Your timing on your post is good as I just checked and the SCAC media week is this week so we should learn something from the coaches on what their outlook is.

http://www.scacsports.com/sports/bsb/2014-15/releases/spring_media_days_15

ILVBB

Bishop:

I went to several AZ Fall games. Klimesh is being used exclusively in short relief.  Except for the AZ Fall All-star game he was used principally as a closer. I spoke with Ben during his stay in AZ and he didn't expect (he didn't know yet) to be invited to the MLB camp. He is very happy with his role and his progress.

It was interesting to see the changes that the Reds have made to his pitching motion; it is much more deceptive then when he was in college. His velocity was 92-94 with his splitter (at 88-91) being his out pitch.

108 Stitches

Just checked the SCAC site and they shuffled the order a bit. TLU Head Coach Greg Burnett was up today.

They graduated 14 Sr's, and return 8, and only three of their pitchers have pitched in a Varsity game. Very young team, and how they look at the beginning and end will likely be completely different as they develop. I would estimate they they will finish middle of the pack in the SCAC this year, depending on how their freshmen develop.

Schreiner, Southwestern, and Trinity coaches are up for tomorrow.

Bishopleftiesdad

Sounds good. Always nice to have pitchers for the bull pen. I am interested to see how far he progresses this year. If he gets to triple A I will be checking the schedule for when the Bats come to town.

108 Stitches

The SCAC had their media week this week and interviewed all of the head coaches. It is always interesting to hear them to get their take unfiltered on their teams. You also get a perspective on their coaching style. I don't know if other conferences do this but I really like it. For those interested they are here:

http://www.scacsports.com/sports/bsb/2014-15/releases/spring_media_days_15

Based on what I heard I have the top four as:

1. TU
2. SWestern
3. UofDallas
4. TLU

5. Centenary
6. Austin College
7. Schreiner

Clearly TU is the top team by a pretty good gap, but I think SWestern, TLU and Centenary have some good building blocks in place for the future. The UofDallas coach seems very inexperienced, but they may surprise some teams as it sounds like they have a solid group of returners.

I think SWestern, TLU and Centenary are all very young and will develop over the year and I see them being very competitive toward the end of the season and certainly next year. SWestern looks like they will continue to develop and become a very competitive program, which they were some time ago, they could be a tough team come the SCAC playoff's.

It all starts next weekend! 

scaccommish

2015 SCAC Baseball Media Guide just released - includes preseason Predicted Order of finish (as selected by the head coaches):
http://www.scacsports.com/sports/bsb/2014-15/releases/2015_media_guide