NCAA Great Lakes Region--2014

Started by gobash83, October 21, 2014, 03:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobash83

As we begin to think about at-large bids, I believe CrusaderNation is correct.  Given the outcomes in the various conference tournaments, it will be unlikely for the Great Lakes region to get more than 2 at-large bids.  Honestly, I would be surprised if it received more than 1.

Looking at the last public rating. the teams in bold received their conference AQ:

1 Carnegie Mellon           .933      .640    5-1       
2 Thomas More               .947      .482    3-0       
3 Allegheny                    .737      .559    1-1       
4 Denison                       .722      .575    3-3       
5 Otterbein                     .778      .538    0-1       
6 Hanover                       .765     .538    1-0      
7 Penn State-Behrend      .725     .536    0-1
8 Ohio Northern               .647     .555    2-3

While Capital will move into the final rankings, it holds an AQ as well.  The remaining teams likely to be ranked all came in second or lower in their respective conference tournaments.  I think the two who have the best shot at getting to the table to be considered by the selection committee are Otterbein (8-0-1, 12-3-4) and Allegheny (7-1-0, 15-6-0).  In last week's rankings, Otterbein had a better winning percentage, while Allegheny had a stronger SOS and a win over a regionally ranked team. I suspect that the same will hold true in this week's secret rankings, as Capital moving into the regional rankings will give Allegheny a second win over a regionally ranked opponent (or replace the Denison win if the Big Red drop out).  My guess is that Allegheny will be ahead of Otterbein and the region's best hope to get an at-large, though it is hard to say how the Gators compare to the remaining pool.

We will know more this afternoon.
"Did Wabash Win?"--Ralph "Sap" Wilson '14 (1891-1910)

gobash83

Congratulations to Allegheny on receiving an at-large bid and all of  the teams from the Great Lakes Region who are playing in the NCAA tournament:

Allegheny vs. TCNJ (14-2-1) C bid
Capital vs. Gettysburg (13-4-1) C bid
Carnegie Mellon vs. Penn St.-Berks (18-2-0) AQ
Hanover vs. Catholic (15-1-3) AQ
Kenyon vs. Emory (11-1-6) C bid
Thomas More vs. Maryville (TN) (14-6-1) AQ
Penn St.-Behrend vs. Brandeis (12-4-2) C bid

CMU and Thomas More get to host the first and second round, with Hanover going to Pittsburgh to join CMU and Penn St. Berks and Kenyon traveling to No. Kentucky to join TMC and Maryville.  Allegheny travels to Geneva NY to a pod hosted by William Smith, who faces Keane St in the first round.  Penn St.-Behred visits Dallas, PA where Misericordia hosts, playing Cabrini in the first round.  Capital goes to Grantham, PA, where Messiah hosts Brooklyn in the first round. Capital, Allegheny and Kenyon have drawn some very tough opposition in their pods.   

CrusaderNation

The lack of respect in terms of pod placement is fairly deafening!  Looks like it is still the perception of anything in the mid atlantic region or east coast has to be superior!

mmccrr

I think if you are anything less than ranked 4th or 5th in the region you are not going to get a a good pod draw... I think Allegheny got a really tough draw for being 3rd in the region. The trend seems to me... placements go. Top 'ish' in region... lower in region... 2 non ranked (typically AQs) and/or upper top 25 team, lower top 25 team, NR, NR
In this case
Messiah  #1 in region/ 2
Gettysburg # 5 in region / dropped out top 25
Capital NR
Brooklyn NR

Thomas More #2 in region / 9
Emory #4 in region / 21
Kenyon NR
Maryville NR

William Smith #1 in region /7
TCNJ #3 in region /12
Allegheny #3 in region
Keene NR

CrusaderNation

For the most part agree... but in teh case of our Crusaders we are #4 int eh NSCAA Great Lakes Regional Rankings winning the OAC for a 2nd straight year and coming off a Final Four. 

By no means do I think those accomplishments merit playing a really week pod, but, to see the #2 team in the nation in the Round of 32 would be a bit harsh.... at least in my opinion compared to some of the other pods.

But, as we saw last year with Wash U and Capital... if you want to get to the stage you have to beat the "big girls" sometime... may as well be early!  *fingers crossed*

2xfaux

I hope you can make the trip.  Shoemaker Field is a very, very nice place to see a soccer game, although it will be cold Saturday and maybe rain/snow Sunday.  I hope Messiah gets by Brooklyn and I think the Crusaders will beat G-Burg.  It may be time to break out the long johns.  Good luck.

gobash83

Another factor when it comes to pod assignment that needs to be kept in mind is the NCAA's aversion to paying for air travel and the desire to minimize travel costs to the extent possible.  As a result, you may not get a perfect correlation between rankings (and seeding) and pairings.

As I said in an earlier post, Capital (as well as Allegheny) got particularly hard draws.  I haven't taken the time to analyze distances, rankings, and pairings to consider options but I suspect it is certainly possible (even likely) that options existed for them to go elsewhere.  The challenge becomes though what is the ripple effect once you move them. 

gobash83

Good day so far for the Great Lakes Region teams, with Carnegie Mellon, Thomas More, Capital, and Kenyon all posting first round wins.  Hanover and Penn State-Behrend are playing now.  Allegheny is the only one to fall, to TCNJ.