BB: Pitcher of the Year Candidates

Started by Jim Dixon, November 07, 2007, 03:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Who stand the best chance of being the 2008 pitcher of the year?

infielddad

Jim,
Idon't know if they belong in that top group, but if Brian Oates, Drew Bignall, Evan Bronson and Brittain Hom  stay healthy and perform to their ability, Trinity, Tx. is going to give everyone a fair share of trouble.
Bronson was selected to the Texas Collegiate League All Star game and Bignall did the same in the New England Collegiate.  Oates is so good. Absent injury and arm problems, there isn't anyone better at the DIII level.  I hope Brian has that season he deserves.  Great person and a very hard worker.  It would be so fun to see him at his best, where he has not been since his freshman year.
These guys can be really good. I sure am  hoping the best for them.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: infielddad on November 07, 2007, 11:14:15 PM
Jim,
Idon't know if they belong in that top group, but ...

Someone else should be in the top group if 46% think that not one of last years All-American pitchers who will play in 2008, will be the top pitcher in 2008.

hitforthecycle

I think it's obviously hard to say who will be the pitcher of the year in 2008 due to the fact that not everyone can or will actually see those pitch who are talented enough to be considered.  In my opinion, Tim Kiely from Trinity will be the pitcher of the year in 2008.  Very good pitcher, decent velocity with command of his off-speed stuff and most importantly hits his spots.  The kid can flat out pitch. 

hitforthecycle

Others to watch this year are junior LHP George Jweid and sophomore LHP Matt Tone from Cortland St.  Two of the best lefties you will see at this level!   

Bob Maxwell

There are 100 kids who fit the description you gave of Keily...  He is a good one, but there are a lot of candiates out there with these credentials.

All the names mentioned so far are all good possibilties... and I'm sure that there will be several unknowns who put up some good numbers too.

What may be the determining factor is how their team does...

hitforthecycle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob, there might be five or six kids with Kiely's (Trinity, Conn) ability at this level.  How would you like me to describe the kid?  Is it because I didn't say he throws 90 mph or he has the most outstanding curveball I've ever seen.  You've never seen him pitch and I have.  There are not 100 kids with his ability Bob and if there was, DIII baseball would be a lot more challenging from a hitter's perspective.  In my opinion, I think he could be the pitcher of the year in 2008 and anyone whose seen him pitch would tell you the same thing.  How many kids in the country can say that they pitched 10 innings of 5 hit, 1 run baseball in a regional game against a team like Cortland St.?  That should tell you something about this young man. 

Bob Maxwell

Formula,

You are entitled to your opinion... as am I, and mine is as I stated it... and obviously he is one of the boys included in the top end of the number I stated.  We are not in disagreement about him; it's just that there are a lot of boys who fit your description... "Decent velocity", "command of his off-speed" and "hits his spots"... those terms can be used to describe 100's of guys who pitch in D-III baseball... and that could include some junk throwers who have decent velocity at 83-85.

If you feel he is top 5, then say that and don't describe him in watered down terms.  You obviously feel he is... as your last comment states what you feel about him in much stronger terms... mostly as anger to my comment... but it makes your case.

Yes, he is the only one who did what you described against a very good Cortland team, but there are others who also were successful against them too... Just based on what he showed in that regional game against Cortland last year he should be considered, as it would be scary to think what he would be like if he pitched like that every game...

Also, if you had mentioned he throws 90 in your original post, it would not change my opinion... As I am sure that there are a lot of others in D-III who can also hit 90 but that alone doesn't make them a top pitcher.  And there are plenty of boys pitching above the D-III level that can throw 90, who are not as good as many guys pitching in D-III. 

He should be one to give consideration to and watch as the season unfolds.

Sorry if my comment sounded a little indignant... I respect your opinion and welcome it.

hitforthecycle

Bob, thank you also for helping me come to the realization that I used "watered down" terms to describe a young man that I watched pitch and simply tried to describe.  However, since there are so many DIII pitchers that can do exactly what I described then I'll attempt to rephrase my terms.  Kiely isn't overpowering but his off-speed is so good that it makes his velocity seem greater than it is.  He has a tremendous amount of confidence in his off-speed stuff that he can and will throw it in any count.  He keeps hitters off-balance and his mound presence is outstanding.  Also, the question was not to list the top 5 pitchers in 2008 but rather who you think has the best chance to win pitcher of the year in 2008.  Therfore, I'm answering Jim's question.  I am in no way angered by your comments but rather perplexed as to why you feel the need to question me when all I did was answer a question.  Also, we all know that you're referring to your son and Dennstedt when you say that others did the same thing, congrats!  However, a regional atmosphere is much different than a home SUNYAC doubleheader.  I'm sorry Bob, but those two although very decent, aren't in the same caliber as Kiely.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: formula50 on November 08, 2007, 10:23:58 PM
In my opinion, Tim Kiely from Trinity will be the pitcher of the year in 2008.  Very good pitcher....

I left him off the latest poll question on d3baseball.com because when I go to Trinity's web site and click on "meet the Bantams," he is not listed.  I expect he will be back in school but there is enough doubt that he did not make it on the latest poll question on d3baseball.com.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Bob Maxwell on November 09, 2007, 11:42:11 AM
You are entitled to your opinion... as am I, and mine is as I stated it... ...

I posted the "best pitcher, player" to help get an idea of possible preseason all-americans.     By casting a wide net one hopes that those most noteworthy are noticed.  I dont even mind a little self promotion - see Burke's post in player of the year.

BigPoppa

It might even be easier to find some seroius talent if you start posting for top pitchers in each region. That way you can whittle down to 2-3 from each region to start your pre-season all-american team(s). It will help the local guys pump up their favorites and boost interest in the pre-season team(s).

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mr. Ypsi

Since he was 2nd-team AA last season as a sophomore, I'm not too worried he'd be overlooked, but may as well get the name Matt Aronson (IWU) out there.  He yielded THREE earned runs the entire season until conference foe Augustana roughed him up in the regional.

Though as your specific question is phrased, the way Dennis Martel handles his pitching staff I'm doubtful any one Titan pitcher will play enough games to vie for POY.

Bob Maxwell

Jim,
I'm not sure at this point that I have a favorite for either pitcher or player of the year... but do think that any name mentioned to date would be someone to consider for each.  I know that doesn't help when you ask for names...

The post season list that was developed last year should be a pretty good start to a preseason team.  There were many underclassman on that list.

Formula,
We do agree that this boy is someone who should be looked at for consideration... Reading my post, the first sentence could be taken as I was slamming your opinion... sorry if you took it that way... but if you read the rest of my post I agreed with you about Tim Keily and anyone else mentioned to date being worthy of consideration.  

I was just commenting on the description as a lot of guys do fit it...

Bob Maxwell

Good idea Big Poppa... that would mirror what was done to pick the post season teams.