WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on September 10, 2020, 06:06:09 PM
I have to admit that our current Tommy Titan mascot looks pretty goofy.  In a earlier era we had a handsome, fully-muscled student dressed up with helmet, sword and outfit to play the part, and somehow it all came off rather more authentically.

It used to be a tradition at North Park for a blonde or red-headed guy (of which there were many at North Park) to dress himself up in fur clothing with iron bands, belts, helmet, sword, etc., and be The Viking. Sometimes there was more than one guy who'd do that. Alas, in the '90s North Park went through a phase similar to IWU's current existential crisis by buying a cartoon mascot costume and having someone wear that at games, rather than encouraging the traditional use of genuine-article human Vikings. (The athletic department secretary was so disgusted by the cartoon Viking costume that, when the offending AD who had purchased the costume moved on to take the same position at Messiah, she took the costume across the street into the parking lot, poured gasoline on it, and burned it.)

Alas, someone in NPU's marketing department bought another cartoon-Viking costume a few years ago, dubbed it "Ragnar," and has had students wear it in promotional videos. Fortunately, the creature has yet to make an appearance at a North Park sporting event. If it ever does, I will be sorely put to tame my tongue and not heap disdain upon it in my broadcast.

Quote from: iwu70 on September 10, 2020, 06:06:09 PMGreg, I'd love to see that Wheaton mastodon.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

The pic doesn't do it justice, though. I've actually seen Wheaton's pantomime mastodon in person on one occasion. It's a hoot!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Greg, your views and experiences with the Viking cartoon costume so similar to our TITAN.  Not really nice or believable.  So cartoon-ish.  I'd prefer we go back to a appropriately muscled and clad student . . . real and in the flesh.  Plus, they wouldn't need a second student to walk around with them to help them navigate and see out from the huge cartoon-ish costume head.

Thanks for posting the mastodon.  Great stuff.  TWO cartoonish operators.

'70

RogK

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 10, 2020, 09:58:26 PM
Quote from: iwu70 on September 10, 2020, 06:06:09 PM
I have to admit that our current Tommy Titan mascot looks pretty goofy.  In a earlier era we had a handsome, fully-muscled student dressed up with helmet, sword and outfit to play the part, and somehow it all came off rather more authentically.

It used to be a tradition at North Park for a blonde or red-headed guy (of which there were many at North Park) to dress himself up in fur clothing with iron bands, belts, helmet, sword, etc., and be The Viking. Sometimes there was more than one guy who'd do that. Alas, in the '90s North Park went through a phase similar to IWU's current existential crisis by buying a cartoon mascot costume and having someone wear that at games, rather than encouraging the traditional use of genuine-article human Vikings. (The athletic department secretary was so disgusted by the cartoon Viking costume that, when the offending AD who had purchased the costume moved on to take the same position at Messiah, she took the costume across the street into the parking lot, poured gasoline on it, and burned it.)

Alas, someone in NPU's marketing department bought another cartoon-Viking costume a few years ago, dubbed it "Ragnar," and has had students wear it in promotional videos. Fortunately, the creature has yet to make an appearance at a North Park sporting event. If it ever does, I will be sorely put to tame my tongue and not heap disdain upon it in my broadcast.

Quote from: iwu70 on September 10, 2020, 06:06:09 PMGreg, I'd love to see that Wheaton mastodon.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

The pic doesn't do it justice, though. I've actually seen Wheaton's pantomime mastodon in person on one occasion. It's a hoot!

Greg, do you remember when Victor Cooper was the Viking in the 90s(I'm sure you do)?  He was awesome in that role.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

Victor Cooper was the best Viking mascot in North Park history, bar none. His enthusiasm, energy, and creativity was off the charts. And, yeah, he wasn't exactly the Nordic ideal, either; Victor's about as black as they come, which actually upped his coolness quotient as a Viking mascot because it was so unusual.

He's won several teaching awards as a public school teacher over the past 25-30 years. Victor is a great guy. It's always good to see him.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gordonmann

Torchie: Gone but not forgotten

We need a highlight video set to this song. The band is from Rockford, Ill.

Gregory Sager

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 14, 2020, 12:49:35 PM
Victor Cooper was the best Viking mascot in North Park history, bar none. His enthusiasm, energy, and creativity was off the charts. And, yeah, he wasn't exactly the Nordic ideal, either; Victor's about as black as they come, which actually upped his coolness quotient as a Viking mascot because it was so unusual.

He's won several teaching awards as a public school teacher over the past 25-30 years. Victor is a great guy. It's always good to see him.

There was a story I heard that Victor was being interviewed by a local news broadcast during a 90's NPU championship year and the reporter asked Victor what part of Sweden he was from.  Victor's response was "I'm from the south side of Sweden!" 

Any idea if that was true?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

I don't know, but that sounds exactly like a Victor quip to me.

It's reminiscent of one of my favorite Michael Harper stories. When Michael was playing for the Portland Trailblazers he roomed on the road with a teammate who was a Duke alumnus. His roommate said to him one day in exasperation, "I don't get it. In every city in the league, somebody is always there to pick you up at the airport and take you to their house for a nice home-cooked meal, and you have your own little cheering section at games ... and yet you went to some little no-name school in Chicago that nobody's ever heard of. Me? I went to Duke, a school that everybody's heard of and that everybody knows is a basketball powerhouse. But nobody picks me up at the airport and treats me to dinner. What's that all about, anyway?"

Michael's reply: "It's because I'm Swedish."

RogK

the new North Central Cardinals' roster :
https://northcentralcardinals.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2020-2021
I'm disappointed that the admirably-talented Alanna Newsome is not listed. Could be that her season-ending injury (sorry but I don't recall what it was) has lingered, preventing her return to the court.

iwu70

Thanks, RogK.

How does one pronounce " IxChel" ??

Some great names there.

IWU'70

Gotberg

Gregory Sager

It's a Mayan name, which made it a nice coincidence when she got to play alongside Maya Walls for NCC the last two seasons.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

We just had CooXooEii Black graduate from Colorado College (he might've been the SCAC POY). His first name is Arapaho, I believe, and pronounced "Jock-a-hay."
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

RogK

I guess we're unlikely to see a resurgence of old-fashioned names like Eunice, Mildred and Chlorine.