FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITH radio

Anyone know how Koree Reed's pro day went?
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

D3viewer

USA Football Coach and Coordinator podcast with Brockport DC Mike Fox. From about a month ago. Fox talks about his past career and influences, what they utilize at Brockport, gets a little in depth with his defensive philosophy and what he thinks helps Brockport the most. It's about 45 min long.

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/5720/podcast-coach-and-coordinator-ncaa-leaders-mike-fox-3-7-18

BomberJeff

I know its a bit random, but it is April so talking points are still nice.

New rules approved by the NCAA.  Highlights: you can now fair catch for a touchback inside the 25 on kickoffs, offensive players can no longer block below the waist beyond 5 yards from the line of scrimmage and with the exception of interior linemen, all blocks below the waist must be from the front, and you can now enforce certain penalties on kickoff following a successful field goal (like you could with an extra point).

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/alteration-football-kickoff-rule-approved

Bombers798891

So on the kickoff one, basically, you can call for a FC on any ball inside the 25 and have it start at the 25? Interesting, and logical from a safety standpoint, though I'd suspect a high enough percentage of kicks you can FC outside of the end zone probably get returned past the 25 to make returners reluctant to do it.

I'm definitely excited for the first delay of game penalty on a last-second, game-tying TD that screws up an XP

Oline89

I wonder how the special teams coaches are going to change the approach.  I assume you still line up on the ten, and for a high short kick, call a fair catch?  Sure is going to be tough calling a fair catch and running forward, but making sure you stay within the 25.  If you signal fair catch, but actually catch on the 26, I assume it is a penalty. 

jknezek

Here's my question. How does this actually change the amount of contact for the 20 guys who are neither the kicker nor the receiver? The 10 on the kicking team are still crashing down the field full speed, and the 10 on the receiving team are still hitting and holding blocks until the whistle. Just like without this rule. The whistle won't blow until after the fair catch is made. So those 20 guys are still in full contact mode. I really don't see how this enhances safety except for the returner.

Oline89

Quote from: jknezek on April 16, 2018, 04:01:54 PM
Here's my question. How does this actually change the amount of contact for the 20 guys who are neither the kicker nor the receiver? The 10 on the kicking team are still crashing down the field full speed, and the 10 on the receiving team are still hitting and holding blocks until the whistle. Just like without this rule. The whistle won't blow until after the fair catch is made. So those 20 guys are still in full contact mode. I really don't see how this enhances safety except for the returner.

Exactly true, and I am not even sure how much it protects the returner.  It's not like a kickoff is ever like a punt, when the kicking team can actually reach the returner while the ball is in the air.  It will limit the ability of the kicking team to pin the offense near the end zone (see ending to last year Hobart-Ithaca game, when returner stepped out of bounds inside the ten.  With the new rule, he fair catches at the 5 and the ball goes to the 25).

Bombers798891

Quote from: Oline79 on April 16, 2018, 04:30:15 PM

Exactly true, and I am not even sure how much it protects the returner.  It's not like a kickoff is ever like a punt, when the kicking team can actually reach the returner while the ball is in the air.  It will limit the ability of the kicking team to pin the offense near the end zone (see ending to last year Hobart-Ithaca game, when returner stepped out of bounds inside the ten.  With the new rule, he fair catches at the 5 and the ball goes to the 25).

Can you FC a squib/bouncing kick, or does it have to be in the air? Maybe that becomes the strategy, where you make it hard to be FC, but still a live ball. It's an odd rule

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bombers798891 on April 17, 2018, 10:54:02 AM

Can you FC a squib/bouncing kick, or does it have to be in the air? Maybe that becomes the strategy, where you make it hard to be FC, but still a live ball. It's an odd rule

Im guessing teams will try to fair catch anything inside the 10. The kickoff teams players can't really stop because there could be a drop right?  So both teams would really still have to go 100% except for the returners.

Also, you can still fair catch now, (not a penalty) but you just get the ball where you catch it so there ain't any reason to fair catch it inside the 20 because you are always going to get positive yards at that point. 

Oline89

Once the ball has traveled ten yards, and touches the ground, it is a live ball, so the kicking team can recover it (on-sides kick).  Jonny U, I forgot that you can fair catch the ball anywhere on a kickoff, it  just happens so rarely. 

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Oline79 on April 17, 2018, 11:08:56 AM

Once the ball has traveled ten yards, and touches the ground, it is a live ball, so the kicking team can recover it (on-sides kick).  Jonny U, I forgot that you can fair catch the ball anywhere on a kickoff, it  just happens so rarely.

This will also affect the strategy of kickers.  Many kickers are coached to put the ball inside the 5 toward the sideline.  The new rule might affect this strategy. 

bports

Brockport has inked another flat out stud for the secondary. Cedric Campbell out if Georgia who played at Birmingham southern will grad transfer for a year at the Port. Paired up with Jake O'Connell I can't imagine a better pair of safeties in the country. Defense is shaping up to be pretty sick!!

ITH radio

Quote from: bports on April 25, 2018, 06:45:31 AM
Brockport has inked another flat out stud for the secondary. Cedric Campbell out if Georgia who played at Birmingham southern will grad transfer for a year at the Port. Paired up with Jake O'Connell I can't imagine a better pair of safeties in the country. Defense is shaping up to be pretty sick!!

His stats say he's a good, but probably not great, player. Certainly earning 2nd team all conf bears mentioning but he may not be All-American caliber like O'Connell. Time will tell.

http://www.bscsports.net/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/campbell_cedric_u1zc
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

AUPepBand

AU staged a Purple and White Intrasquad Scrimmage Friday evening at Yunevich Stadium. Good crowd on hand to witness the work to date of Spring Football. Saxons will be playing in Canada next month in an exhibition game.

The game was delayed by lightning with 5:00 remaining in the second quarter and the score tied at 7-7. Both scores came on long passing plays...the White scored on a completion over the middle to the TE who broke a tackle and took it to paydirt. The Purple retaliated with a short pass to a slot receiver who broke it outside and down the sidelines untouched.

With the lightning delay, Pep wheeled his 90-year-old Pops, who has been a fan of Saxon football since 1937, back to the car and drove him home. Pep didn't get back to the stadium but heard indirectly that the White won the game.

It was fun to see some football in April! Was a comfortable 58 degrees with occasional drips until the lightning appeared.

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: bports on April 25, 2018, 06:45:31 AM

I'll be stunned if this isn't the year that Brockport takes out the UMU and UMHB's of the world given the high level transfers that they are bringing in. Just don't let Brockport become the Rowan of the 1990's...................that was flat out ugly!!