FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: e h dad on November 08, 2006, 03:18:41 PM
Hasanova/Jacketlawyer...................I'd just settle for a for a win by E&H. Forget about all the drama.

Peace,
E&H Dad

Quote from: richardmcgritt on November 08, 2006, 04:20:23 PM
Knowing Coach Monty somewhat...he'd trade a dozen COTY's, a set of candlesticks, three live chickens, and maybe a few years off his life for a win...

I don't think you all are getting the point of the discussion.

Not one coach or player (well, not sure about the player part) would trade wins or championships for an individual award.  So saying "Coach Monty is bigger than awards" makes you look silly.

This is a discussion forum for talk about - among other things - games that happened, games that will happen, games we wish would happen, players, coaches, awards, facilities, Snakehandler's multiple personalities, and Pat Cummings looking like Jared.

So welcome to the board.  Will you join us?
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

skoaltrain

Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn. Boring.  Where's all the trash talk?

allsky7

Quote from: hasanova on November 08, 2006, 12:22:44 PM
Quote from: Jacketlawyer on November 08, 2006, 11:59:03 AM
Quote from: hasanova on November 08, 2006, 11:15:04 AM
OK, where are we now regarding ODAC Coach of the Year?  I'm leaning towards Frank Miriello at W&L, although Montgomery and Kiesel may also deserve some consideration.

Got to go with Monty, and the dramatic turnaround from 2005.  Schizophrenic turnaround at that. . .  :P

Had W&L managed to beat the Eagles, then Miriello.  But everyone knew coming in the W&L was going to be formidable this year.  No expectations for E&H.  In fact, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe E&H was picked to finish lower than R-M. . . . . .
I went to the ODAC website to look up the preseason votes, clicked on "2006 Preseason Poll" and got ... voila! .... the 2005 preseason poll and news release!  lol  Does anyone every double-check the site?  :)  Anyway, relying on memory, I think you're correct with RMC picked 5th and CUA tied with E&H for 6th.  Whether Montgomery's Wasps win 5 or 6, you can certainly make a strong case for him.  Keep in mind, however, Mike Clark was 2005 Coach of the Year when the Eagles were preseason #1.  Meanwhile, Kevin Kiesel, in a year similar to E&H's, took the Quakers from 1-9, 1-5 in 2004 to 5-5, 4-2 in his first year when Guilford was picked to finish last again.  I think the ODAC's past voting style favors Miriello.  

My vote goes to Miriello. ODAC champs and first ever d3playoff appearance for the Generals. A team that has not exactly been an ODAC powerhouse since 1976. Don't fret E&H fans. Coach Montgomery's future is bright.

Matt Barnhart (kid)

http://bridgewaterfootball.blogspot.com/2006/11/bc-ranked-no-9-in-ncaa-south-region.html

'Bout time we were ranked above W&L.

They must have heard me crying last week when the Generals were ranked and we weren't. :)

GO EAGLES!

xbcdad

Quote'Bout time we were ranked above W&L.

Since the eagles have a win over a play off team what other collapses would need to occur this Sat. in the south or east to get the eagles a sniff a playoff road trip.

I suppose Cumming's (I think it was him) assessment that there are too many other 1 loss teams is the easy answer. In 2000 there was only one in conference loss (E&H) but there was a the signature win over McDaniel who had the Centennial AQ.

Just curious.

Jacketlawyer

Quote from: skoaltrain on November 08, 2006, 05:25:17 PM
Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn. Boring.  Where's all the trash talk?

Now that was funny.  Skoal?  Beers Friday?  Dahlia?
" and do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends." -The Taming of the Shrew

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: xbcdad on November 08, 2006, 09:49:40 PM
Since the eagles have a win over a play off team what other collapses would need to occur this Sat. in the south or east to get the eagles a sniff a playoff road trip.

I suppose Cumming's (I think it was him) assessment that there are too many other 1 loss teams is the easy answer. In 2000 there was only one in conference loss (E&H) but there was a the signature win over McDaniel who had the Centennial AQ.

Just curious.

Llamaguy has done an excellent job following the Pool C candidates the last couple of weeks on the "Pool C -- 2006" thread.

On my fan site, I posted on my blog a more Bridgewater-specific look at Pool C.

patcummings

In my column, I listed the Mid-Atlantic region Pool C teams and didn't say anything about one-loss teams.

Bottom line - BC is borderline at best.  9th in the regional rankings to a team that is already locked up in the playoffs doesn't necessarily mean BC will get the gig.

Llamaguy

Just curious.

Hey there xbcdad,

After looking at every senario that could fall in BC's favor ,which includes about 7 teams in front of us losing this weekend, I still see BC falling short on the criteria this year. It boils down to two things, 1) we needed to win either against Guilford or E&H (giving us the ODAC Championship), or 2) our opponents as a whole needed to play better. The best QOWI we can finish with is 8.899 which will not get an atlarge with 2 losses.

Here is the schedule and our opponent's records: (in region which the QOWI is calculated from)

• McDaniel                        4-4
  • Shenandoah                    2-7
  • Ferrum                           2-6
  • LaGrange                       0-8
  • Hampden-Sydney            3-6
  • Guilford                         6-3
  • Emory & Henry               4-4
  • Washington & Lee           7-2
  • Randolph Macon             2-7
  • Catholic                         2-5

You are right that in the past we have had some quality out of conference wins. This year our out of conference opponents went a combined 8-25 in region. We have also not lost 2 conference games in our playoff run. This year's schedule would allow for 1 ODAC loss and a shot at a Pool C. With the combination of a second ODAC loss and the fact that six of our other opponents will finish with records below .333 in region. There was no way to get the QOWI index high enough to compete with other 2-loss teams nationally for a Pool C spot this year. Were we still in the running? Yes!

All this being said, I will be at peace if we can get a win over Catholic this week and finish 8-2 for the season. We will come into next season with around 40 hungry Seniors who will have something to prove in '07! ;)
"The Dali Llama"

Bridgewater Football 1980,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 ODAC Champions!

miz

Quote from: Llamaguy on November 09, 2006, 12:38:43 AM

Just curious.

Hey there xbcdad,

After looking at every senario that could fall in BC's favor ,which includes about 7 teams in front of us losing this weekend, I still see BC falling short on the criteria this year. It boils down to two things, 1) we needed to win either against Guilford or E&H (giving us the ODAC Championship), or 2) our opponents as a whole needed to play better. The best QOWI we can finish with is 8.899 which will not get an atlarge with 2 losses.

Here is the schedule and our opponent's records: (in region which the QOWI is calculated from)

• McDaniel                        4-4
  • Shenandoah                    2-7
  • Ferrum                           2-6
  • LaGrange                       0-8
  • Hampden-Sydney            3-6
  • Guilford                         6-3
  • Emory & Henry               4-4
  • Washington & Lee           7-2
  • Randolph Macon             2-7
  • Catholic                         2-5

You are right that in the past we have had some quality out of conference wins. This year our out of conference opponents went a combined 8-25 in region. We have also not lost 2 conference games in our playoff run. This year's schedule would allow for 1 ODAC loss and a shot at a Pool C. With the combination of a second ODAC loss and the fact that six of our other opponents will finish with records below .333 in region. There was no way to get the QOWI index high enough to compete with other 2-loss teams nationally for a Pool C spot this year. Were we still in the running? Yes!

All this being said, I will be at peace if we can get a win over Catholic this week and finish 8-2 for the season. We will come into next season with around 40 hungry Seniors who will have something to prove in '07! ;)

I have mixed feelings about the pool C deal.  On one hand, we lost to two teams we shouldn't have lost to.  In that light, we don't really deserve it. 

Then when I look at Pat's south region playoff bracket, I think to myself that we would probably be "favored" to beat almost all of those teams.  And we have much better potential to represent the South region well than say a Carnagie Mellon (sp.????) or even a Washington and Lee. 

Then again, if pools C's were handed out by "reputation" and past success we probably wouldn't have gotten ours back in 2000...........

Olinemom

Quote from: Llamaguy on November 09, 2006, 12:38:43 AM

The question is, Llamaguy, are WE TAILGATING this weekend at Catholic?  I only ask it the second time because I have not heard anything from my first query and I need to have time to make brownies.  Please try to answer me sometime today.  That would be nice.  I have to take a class tonight at BRCC but I'll be home around 9.  THANKS IN ADVANCE!! ;D ;D ;D
Brownies for Film Day--Now there's a Slogan I can live with!!!:)  Go EAGLES!

hasanova

Quote from: miz on November 09, 2006, 07:42:49 AM
... On one hand, we lost to two teams we shouldn't have lost to...

miz - ?  I respectfully disagree.  I can't intelligently discuss what happened on Oct. 21, but Oct. 14 was a nice sunny day.  No key players were hurt and out of the line-up.  You were playing a good team with a winning record.  You didn't fumble multiple times on the 1-yard line.  It was 17-0 and 24-7 in the first half.  I was there.       

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: patcummings on November 09, 2006, 12:20:16 AM
In my column, I listed the Mid-Atlantic region Pool C teams and didn't say anything about one-loss teams.

Bottom line - BC is borderline at best.  9th in the regional rankings to a team that is already locked up in the playoffs doesn't necessarily mean BC will get the gig.

You probably mean't two-loss teams.  And I mention a couple times on my blog in my breakdown of BC's chances that it's not likely.  It's just that people (parents, players, fans) have asked me in person or emailed me about what our chances are - and instead of saying "what chance? we're done" ... I thought I'd be a bit more nice and descriptive with why we would or wouldn't make the playoffs.  My breakdown does a nice job of explaining both.

As much as I'd be OK with an 8-2 season like Llamaguy, IF the NCAA committee had to dip into the two-loss teams and take one or two, and for some reason BC was chosen, I'd be even more happy.  After some thought, the playoffs are the playoffs.  A trip out to Texas or up to Delaware wouldn't be such an easy win for MHB or Wesley.

So I'm no longer thinking I would rather not get a bid.  Although, after the crunching the numbers the last two weeks, they seem to be explaining more and more why BC won't be getting a bid.

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: hasanova on November 09, 2006, 08:15:41 AM

?  I disagree. 

I don't think miz mean't you didn't deserve the win.  On October 14, you did.

I think it's very fair for BC fans (and probably coaches, too) to think once W&L beat you pretty bad and R-MC held you to 14 points that we shouldn't have lost to you.  Perhaps that means our offense having a better day (seriously - we were awful that day) ... perhaps that means our defense stop Rushing from, well, rushing all over us.

There were things you've done against us that you haven't against anyone else this year.  To some BC fans, that suggests we should have beaten you.  But did you deserve the win on October 14?  Absolutely.

miz

Quote from: hasanova on November 09, 2006, 08:15:41 AM

miz - ?  I respectfully disagree.  I can't intelligently discuss what happened on Oct. 21, but Oct. 14 was a nice sunny day.  No key players were hurt and out of the line-up.  You were playing a good team with a winning record.  You didn't fumble multiple times on the 1-yard line.  It was 17-0 and 24-7 in the first half.  I was there.       

You guys deserved to win that day, no arguement here.  It is my opinion that BC is a better team and would (or should) beat Guilford on any given Saturday.  The fact that we didn't is a credit to Guilford for out-preparing, out-coaching, and out-playing Bridgewater on that day.  That said, I stand by my previous assertion that IMO we should not have lost that game..........but that is not to say you guys didn't deserve to win, because you did (deserve it).