SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yjacklok

Hmmm.....  No one wants to say anything after Maryville defeats Wash U.

It's tough being a lonely voice in the wilderness. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE??????

montanapt

I personally think it was incredible that Maryville led from the first basket until the end. Big games from Sara Bartholic, Lea Feasline, and Carrie Snyder.  Coach Ellis's technical made me nervous with 5'53" left in the game.  The team stood up to Wash U's second half surge.  The subs gave Maryville good minutes and good points.  Great team effort.  I hope it is sign of Maryville playing better against tough opponents.

yjacklok

Nice to hear another voice. I did not get to see the Wash U Maryville game, but sure wish I had. I have seen Wash U play 3 other times, admittedly against weaker opposition, and they looked good in all 3 of those games, and deserving of their position in the top 25. Hats off to Coach Ellis, who is building a strong program at Maryville. Hopefully, the SLIAC will grow stronger over the coming years so that results like last Wednesday will be more commonplace when competing against Wash U.

montanapt

I have a question?  The conference begins on Saturday and the preseason records are the worse I have seen in the three years I have been watching (17-56).  Maryville and Webster have 11 of the 17 wins.  Is this a sign of the conference being weaker this year or have they upgraded their pre-season schedule?

yjacklok

In answer to your question, I think it's hard to say. I haven't examined the schedules of most of the SLIAC teams except Webster and I think their record is a combination of a weaker team and tougher schedule. Webster graduated the conference player of the year, as well as another senior starter. The also lost one player that would have started to transfer, another that would have started decided not to play again this year as did a another who would have seen seen significant playing time. Also, one sophomore who didn't play as a freshman due to an injury, got hurt again in practice before the start of the season and wont' play this year either.

hopefan

Well yjack- let me be the first to note on these largely unread pages that Maryville   (yes the SLIAC Maryville, not the Tennessee Maryville) garnered 7 votes on the D3Hoops Week 9 Women's Top 25 Poll.

I guess that should fire the Lady Gorlocks up for the big 6:00 affair tomorrow night   --   a shot at "Nationally ranked" Maryville.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

fcnews

That makes three women's teams who have garnered top 25 votes.

yjacklok

Assuming Maryville is the SLIAC team in the NCAA playoffs, it will be interesting to see who they have to play in the first round. With more teams in the NCAA tournament this year the selection committee will have more options for pairings. Maybe they will forgo their historical stinginess and let some teams travel more. Also, with votes for the top 25, Maryville could end up hosting a tournament game -- maybe two.

hopefan

Maryville collects the same 7 votes as last week in D3Hoops Poll- obviously, no voters were  witnesses to the Maryville - Webster game  ::) ::) ::)

yjacklok

The NCAA Division III women's basketball committe ranks Maryville #1 in the Central region.

montanapt

What effect will this have on NCAA tournament play if Maryville wins or loses the conference tournament.  Could Maryville get in if they lose the conference tournament, and if they win will they get an easier opponent for the first round game then the traditional powerhouses the SLIAC has to play?  Let me know what you think I don't understand how the teams are picked.

Pat Coleman

I think yes to both answers. There are 21 at-large bids in Pool C (for those who don't get their automatic bid) and being unbeaten in-region is HUGE at this point of the year.

There's more about the playoffs in the FAQ, see link at bottom of my post.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

Maryville jumps from 7 votes  to 37 votes in the D3hoops poll - just 3 spots out of the top 25.

with a conference tourney championship and a no 1 rating in the region, I'd say an outstanding shot at hosting a regional - Wash U, Coach Fahey, you guys hop on the bus and come on out to West County!!!!

mark_reichert

Ben
Quote from: hopefan on February 14, 2006, 12:39:31 PM
Maryville jumps from 7 votes to 37 votes in the D3hoops poll - just 3 spots out of the top 25.

with a conference tourney championship and a no 1 rating in the region, I'd say an outstanding shot at hosting a regional - Wash U, Coach Fahey, you guys hop on the bus and come on out to West County!!!!

Been there, done that.  Rudest fans I've ever met.  At least next time, the referees will be NCAA not SLIAC.

You'll say it's sour grapes, but you won't ever see me complain about the NYU game.

yjacklok

mark_reichert. I did not see the Maryville-Wash U game so I don't know what went on there that causes you to say "rudest fans I've ever met." You know SLIAC teams have an inferiority complex when it comes to playing Wash U so the SLIAC fans can get pretty riled up when their team has a shot at a victory over Wash U. I did see the second half of the Wash U-NYU game. Didn't sense any lack of balance in the officiating. NYU played a great Box and One defense that kept Wash U from scoring much inside and allowed NYU to control the defensive glass.

As for the SLIAC officials, this is a topic of much discussion on the SLIAC men's posting site. I go to both SLIAC and Wash U games and I see a number of the same officials at Wash U as I do at SLIAC venues. So these officials do not belong exclusively to the SLIAC. And don't be surprised to see some of them officiating NCAA tournament games.