Fontbonne U., 16-9, 11-3  
Greenville, 16-14, 9-5  
Webster U., 12-13, 8-6  
Westminster, 11-12, 6-8  
Blackburn, 8-17 6-8  
MacMurray, 5-20, 2-12  
Principia, 2-21, 0-14

sanchopanza

What are the expectations for the SLIAC women this year?  It seems the Maryville Women should be early favorites considering they return basically everyone this year.  I see that they received a number of votes for the preseason top 25.  That is a great compliment for the SLIAC. They should be fun to watch again this year.

watchdog

SLIAC Preseason
Women's Basketball Poll:
1. Maryville University
2. Webster University
3. Fontbonne University
4. Westminster College
5. Greenville College  
6. Blackburn College
7. MacMurray College
8. Principia College

2 Inch Vert

Congrats Webster Ladies on the schools biggest win in...well, forever...Hopefully some votes will be counted for the lady gorloks this weekend. Keep it up come conference...

Pat Coleman

I'm not sure I would consider voting for a team that lost at home to Simpson.

watchdog

Any team that beats Washington U. should be congratulated, but it is early and one win does make a season.

That said, Congrats Webster!

2 Inch Vert

Daryl L Lloyd

I'm not sure I would consider voting for a team that lost at home to Simpson.
-------------------------------------------
Using that logic Pat can we conclude that WashU will be out of the top 25 with this loss to Webster since unranked simpson was able to beat them at home and WashU could not? Is that how the votes are logically calculated??? Maybe no votes for Webster yet, but I can see it happening soon, these ladies are starting to put it together and I see good things happening.  

Pat Coleman

I'd wonder what changed for Webster between that day and yesterday. I know Wash U was missing its second-leading scorer but that wouldn't be enough, logically, to expect them to lose at Webster.

Webster has two more games left before we vote on them anyway, and Rockford is a solid squad. And I'm not saying Webster wouldn't get votes -- I'm just saying they wouldn't necessarily get them from me.

Pat Coleman

Sorry about the buzzkill, 2-inch. http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

watchdog

As sweet as the win over Wash U. is, the current strength of the conference (non-conference record) is going to hurt Webster and other teams from serious consideration in the rankings. The following percentage says it all:

SLIAC Women
Westminster, 3-1  
Maryville, 3-2  
Webster, 3-2  
Greenville, 3-3  
Blackburn, 3-5  
Fontbonne, 2-4  
Principia, 1-4  
MacMurray, 1-7  
Totals, 19-28 (.404)

Daryl L Lloyd

Watchdog, speaking logically why would the overall conference percentage hurt any team when no conference games have even been played to aid in comparision? I know there is a seriously flawed system for ranking teams, but to say that the SLIAC is in whole a weak conference, therefore it will hurt select teams is illogical in my opinion.    

watchdog

The overall conference record for any conference will always be .500, so the strength of a conference will be based on the quality of the non-conference wins and the conference's non-conference record, and more importantly the overall Division III record and the overall in-region record.

2 Inch Vert

and despite the Simpson lose, a Wash U upset is huge for Webster and the SLIAC as a whole...Am I wrong here? Help me understand