WIAC

Started by foul_language, June 12, 2006, 06:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoenix_rising

Dave Morris, former head coach at UW-Stout, former assistant coach at UW-Green Bay, has landed on his feet to be head coach at Colorado-Pueblo, a DII school. Wow.

Northern_Explorer

Does anyone know how Stevens Point did against UW-GB today?

phoenix_rising

Point whupped up on UWGB 6-1. Interestingly, three former UWGB players are now playing for Point: Megan Musbach, Leah Larson and Jackie Spees. Megan and Leah played two and three years ago, respectively, I believe; Jackie played there last season. I'm not sure what Ross' recruiting strategy is, but I suspect he may pay more attention to family income than player stats. That's just a cynical guess, though.

WLCALUM83

WIAC Finals:

8-31:  St. Benedict (MN) 3, UW-Stout 2
           UW-River Falls 3, Northland 0
           UW-Whitewater 2, Benedictine 0
           UW-Platteville 4, Marian 0

9-01:  Concordia-MN 3, UW-Stout 0
           St. Scholastica 2, UW-River Falls 1
           UW-Oshkosh 4, St. Norbert 3
           Wartburg 3, UW-Whitewater 2.

WLCALUM83

2007 WIAC Women's Tournament Results:

Semi-Finals:  UW-Eau Claire 5, UW-LaCrosse 1
                     UW-Stevens Point 3, UW-Whitewater 2

Championship:  UW-Eau Claire 1, UW-Stevens Point 0.

Jim Matson

I think Stevens Point is a strong Pool C candidate.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Jim Matson

Point and Eau-Claire in the post-season.

Northern_Explorer

UWEC earned a great draw - they don't see Wheaton until the elite 8 (and they should get to the sweet 16 at least given their draw).  Maybe UWSP can pull the upset and we can have an all-WIAC elite 8 match. 

WLCALUM83

That would be nice.

Jim Matson

The Pointers defeated St. Bens 3-2 in OT.  They'll face Chicago on Sunday at 1:00.

Northern_Explorer

UWEC loses 2-1 (EC got a late consolation goal) to Wartburg.  Whoops.

Jim Matson

So it is Stevens Point versus Wheaton in the sectionals.  This match will probably take place at Wheaton and will be played on Friday evening.  Joining Wheaton and UW-Stevens Point is Puget Sound and Wartburg.

Stevens Point has been one of Wheaton's better opponents over the years and thus the Pointers will be way up for this one.  Wartburg is a bit of a Cinderella story and has a former Wheaton player as one its coaches.  And Puget Sound played Wheaton in the Championship match in 2004.  An interesting tie to each of the programs.

Earlier in the season, Wheaton defeated Stevens Point 5-2.  I wouldn't bet on a score like that this weekend.

Northern_Explorer

Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if Wheaton and Point combine for five or six goals again - even though I think Point's best chance is to play defensively and hang on.  I'm predicting Puget Sound over Wartburg in the other match. 

Jim Matson

Wheaton over UW-Stevens Point 4-0

Wheaton dominated this match from start to finish.  While the score could have been 5 or 6 to 0, the important thing is that Wheaton played their game against a good Pointers side and won.  Richardson and Della Torre had a great match, as did Berg, Passiales and Folz.  In fact every player did well - Hermann and Partain came off the bench and contributed in the 2nd half.  Lee as always played well, but Stevens Point was all over her, limiting her opportunities.

The Pointers had one great chance for a goal when their striker found herself standing in front of an empty net with the ball at her feet - but she couldn't settle and shot over the crossbar.  Other than that and perhaps one other set play opportunity, Stevens Point did not press the Wheaton keeper.

In the first half, Wheaton's transition game really hurt Stevens Point and it wasn't until Wheaton scored their first goal that the Pointers started marking Wheaton tighter, trying to take some space away from the  Thunder.    It didn't work and Wheaton went on to score another goal in short order.  Midway through the 2nd half, Wheaton started to substitute and scored one more to finish it off.  If you appreciate well played soccer, it was a great match to watch.

Northern_Explorer

Wheaton is just too strong for the WIAC schools at the moment (and just about everyone else in D3).  UWSP is a good team and is well coached, but the state schools just don't have the resources to get the kind of players that certain private schools can bring in with really great financial aid packages and national recruiting budgets.

It's nice to see the Pointers get further in the tournament than UW-EC - a team with a lot of talent . . .