Recruiting questions

Started by stafford, January 22, 2014, 08:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

I know this is old, I am just curios how Stafford's son is doing and how thecsearch worked out.

02 Warhawk

On social media (specifically Twitter) MANY DIII football programs are making it well known who their incoming recruits are for the 2015 season. From what I noticed, it's mainly just private schools announcing their recruits. However, it's well known in the UWW world that Lance never liked divulging who is his committed recruits were, right up until the season practically starts.

Is this just a coach's preference? Or do public schools have too much to lose on announcing their recruits this early in the year, compared to private schools? If so, what is it exactly?

Just Bill

Completely a school's preference. The NCAA D-III rules state that a school cannot make any kind of public statement or acknowledgement (on social media or otherwise) about a potential student-athlete until the school receives the student's first tuition deposit payment. The new "celebratory signing document" means nothing on that front. Once the tuition deposit is in, a school can do a release or something on social media if they choose.

There's good reasons to publicize and good reasons not to publicize. I know sometimes WIAC schools are gun shy about publicizing because they fear D-II schools or low level D-I schools swooping in with a late scholarship offer and stealing quality kids. There's nothing binding a kid to a D-III school (other than the potential loss of part or all of their tuition deposit) until they actually step foot into a classroom.

I've been at D-III schools that fell on both sides of whether to publicize or not. Those that did felt it's great publicity that they shouldn't ignore, or they wanted their recruits (and themselves) to feel like the big time. Those that didn't either thought that it wasn't philosophically what a D-III school should do or they were worried about the awkwardness of announcing a recruit and then having to explain why they weren't on their roster next year, because you know, s*** happens.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

PA_wesleyfan

A lot of kids are going on a site HUDL and declaring their intentions. It also shows all their highlghts
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

carletonknights

Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on May 13, 2015, 10:45:25 PM
A lot of kids are going on a site HUDL and declaring their intentions. It also shows all their highlghts

Hudl is what a lot of schools are using now for their film.  They upload it to the site, give the kids their own accounts and the kids can log-in from their computers (or even phones) and watch film.  Whenever. Wherever.  It's pretty neat.  So kids just make their highlight reels using their film that is already in the Hudl database

sjusection105

HUDL is a great starting point especially for schools from other geographical areas to find kids to put on their "watch list" and begin the dialog with kids/coaches and parents. Finding a school that is the right fit is priority #1 for the kid but, having the ability to show the highlight reel to coaches/programs around the country has become easier because of HUDL.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!