MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Ron Rose and the Titans have landed 6-1 G Jordan Nelson, a Division I transfer from Evansville.  Nelson will be a junior at IWU in 2013-14.

As a senior at Lincoln H.S. in 2010-11, Nelson averaged 21.5 points, 2.8 rebounds, and 3.1 assists.  He was a prolific 3-point shooter, making 111 as a senior, and 346 in his HS career (at a 40% rate).   Nelson's 346 ranks 6th all-time in IHSA history.  Nelson was a named 3A/4A 2nd Team all-state by the IBCA, 3A 2nd Team by AP, and 3A/4A 1st Team by Illinois Basketball Services.  He was named "Player of the Year" by the Bloomington Pantagraph, Springfield State Journal Register, and Lincoln Courier.  Nelson was also a standout golfer, finishing second in the IHSA state tournament his junior year, and baseball player.

Nelson was used as a reserve guard this past season at Evansville.  He played in 27 games, averaged 8 minutes per game, connecting on 13 of 38 3-point attempts.  Nelson played a key role in Evansville's win at Final Four team Wichita State on February 27, playing 17 minutes, including being on the floor down the stretch.  His best game was in a March 2 win against Indiana State, when he had 11 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists ( 16 minutes, 4-5 FG).

Nelson is known first for his ability to shoot the basketball.  He was regarded by many as the best shooter in the state in 2010-11, with 3-point range extending well beyond the arc.  In February 2011, high school evaluator Joe Henricksen said, "The reason Nelson is a Division I player is that he offers up a bonafide Division I ability: shooting the basketball. His shot is pure, and it's a jump shot from 15 feet, 20 feet and 25 feet, with the mechanics and textbook release that is the calling card for every great shooter."  To put Nelson's 2010-11 single season total of 111 3-pointers and career total of 346 into a little perspective, IWU's single season and career 3-point FG record holder is Jordan Zimmer with 107 and 264 respectively.

Nelson, a combo guard, is also a good penetrator who can score off dribble-drive with either hand around the basket.  He is a good ball-handler in the open court and, while he probably couldn't play PG in the Missouri Valley, he should be very effective in that role, if needed, at the Division III level.

Ron Rose recruited Nelson aggressively when he was a senior at Lincoln, but it never seemed very realistic for IWU to land him at the time.  He had several Division II scholarship offers early, and a lot of Division I interest up to the mid-major level.  After his senior season ended, in addition to the D2 offers, Nelson had some low D1 offers and interest from several mid-majors.   Evansville from the Missouri Valley offered in April and he signed there.

Nelson has picked Illinois Wesleyan over D1 scholarship offers to Eastern Illinois, Western Illinois, SIU-Edwardsville, and Houston Baptist, and a host of Division II offers.  He should be a good player at IWU and a big part of the backcourt rotation the next two years.

"Nelson granted this release from University of Evansville basketball team" (Evansville Courrier & Press, 6/18/13)

"Nelson plays key role in UE's win at Wichita State" (Evansville Courier & Press, 2/27/13)

Evansville player page, 2012-13 season

"Jordan Nelson growing up for Aces" (Evansville Courier & Press, 9/14/11)

"Lincoln's Nelson signs with Evansville" (Lincoln Courier, 4/26/11)

"Lincoln's Nelson named boys player of the year" (Bloomington Pantagraph, 4/3/11)

2010-11 Illinois Basketball Services 3A/4A all-state team (3/21/11)

2010-11 AP 3A all-state team (Bloomington Pantagraph, 3/16/11)

"There are times to just forget the 'eye-test'" (City/Suburban Hoops Report, 2/23/11)

Video - Lincoln vs Springfield-Lanphier, Feb 2011, 4th Q (#1 in white)

"Lincoln's Nelson a straight shooter"

theseguysaregood

Quote from: Titan Q on July 15, 2013, 04:09:14 PM
Ron Rose and the Titans have landed 6-1 G Jordan Nelson, a Division I transfer from Evansville.  Nelson will be a junior at IWU in 2013-14.

As a senior at Lincoln H.S. in 2010-11, Nelson averaged 21.5 points, 2.8 rebounds, and 3.1 assists.  He was a prolific 3-point shooter, making 111 as a senior, and 346 in his HS career (at a 40% rate).   Nelson's 346 ranks 6th all-time in IHSA history.  Nelson was a named 3A/4A 2nd Team all-state by the IBCA, 3A 2nd Team by AP, and 3A/4A 1st Team by Illinois Basketball Services.  He was named "Player of the Year" by the Bloomington Pantagraph, Springfield State Journal Register, and Lincoln Courier.  Nelson was also a standout golfer, finishing second in the IHSA state tournament his junior year, and baseball player.

Nelson was used as a reserve guard this past season at Evansville.  He played in 27 games, averaged 8 minutes per game, connecting on 13 of 38 3-point attempts.  Nelson played a key role in Evansville's win at Final Four team Wichita State on February 27, playing 17 minutes, including being on the floor down the stretch.  His best game was in a March 2 win against Indiana State, when he had 11 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists ( 16 minutes, 4-5 FG).

Nelson is known first for his ability to shoot the basketball.  He was regarded by many as the best shooter in the state in 2010-11, with 3-point range extending well beyond the arc.  In February 2011, high school evaluator Joe Henricksen said, "The reason Nelson is a Division I player is that he offers up a bonafide Division I ability: shooting the basketball. His shot is pure, and it's a jump shot from 15 feet, 20 feet and 25 feet, with the mechanics and textbook release that is the calling card for every great shooter."  To put Nelson's 2010-11 single season total of 111 3-pointers and career total of 346 into a little perspective, IWU's single season and career 3-point FG record holder is Jordan Zimmer with 107 and 264 respectively.

Nelson, a combo guard, is also a good penetrator who can score off dribble-drive with either hand around the basket.  He is a good ball-handler in the open court and, while he probably couldn't play PG in the Missouri Valley, he should be very effective in that role, if needed, at the Division III level.

Ron Rose recruited Nelson aggressively when he was a senior at Lincoln, but it never seemed very realistic for IWU to land him at the time.  He had several Division II scholarship offers early, and a lot of Division I interest up to the mid-major level.  After his senior season ended, in addition to the D2 offers, Nelson had some low D1 offers and interest from several mid-majors.   Evansville from the Missouri Valley offered in April and he signed there.

Nelson has picked Illinois Wesleyan over D1 scholarship offers to Eastern Illinois, Western Illinois, SIU-Edwardsville, and Houston Baptist, and a host of Division II offers.  He should be a good player at IWU and a big part of the backcourt rotation the next two years.

"Nelson granted this release from University of Evansville basketball team" (Evansville Courrier & Press, 6/18/13)

"Nelson plays key role in UE's win at Wichita State" (Evansville Courier & Press, 2/27/13)

Evansville player page, 2012-13 season

"Jordan Nelson growing up for Aces" (Evansville Courier & Press, 9/14/11)

"Lincoln's Nelson signs with Evansville" (Lincoln Courier, 4/26/11)

"Lincoln's Nelson named boys player of the year" (Bloomington Pantagraph, 4/3/11)

2010-11 Illinois Basketball Services 3A/4A all-state team (3/21/11)

2010-11 AP 3A all-state team (Bloomington Pantagraph, 3/16/11)

"There are times to just forget the 'eye-test'" (City/Suburban Hoops Report, 2/23/11)

Video - Lincoln vs Springfield-Lanphier, Feb 2011, 4th Q (#1 in white)

"Lincoln's Nelson a straight shooter"

Is this a record setter for most supporting links included in a post???   ;)

kiko

This is that 'waves and waves of talent' that Theo Epstein promised us.

Oh, wait...  ::)

iwu70

Seems to me we'll see Overstreet and Nelson at the PG and Sodemann and Zimmer at the 2.  Key to IWU's season is how well, who replaces Kevin Reed at the 5, IMHO.  IWU will have "waves of talent" at the 1,2,3, and 4 spots, assuming all those coming back stay healthy, play up to expectations.  Lots of experienced, good talent returning -- up through 10-12 players in all.  We'll see that Kevin Reed was more valuable, more crucial to the IWU offensive system, more than was realized last season. 

Great to see Jordan Nelson come on board.  Welcome Jordan . . . how about a "Jordan and Jordan front court!"  Could happen.  Overstreet and Sodemann are tough competitors, will be there to help the team I'm sure.  Zimmer is more fragile.  Hope Davis, Zman and Anderson have huge, hugely improved seasons.  Dortch will be there to play tough D no matter.  It's going to be a great season, upcoming.

IWU70

URockets

Quote from: iwu70 on July 17, 2013, 05:12:30 AM
Seems to me we'll see Overstreet and Nelson at the PG and Sodemann and Zimmer at the 2.  Key to IWU's season is how well, who replaces Kevin Reed at the 5, IMHO.  IWU will have "waves of talent" at the 1,2,3, and 4 spots, assuming all those coming back stay healthy, play up to expectations.  Lots of experienced, good talent returning -- up through 10-12 players in all.  We'll see that Kevin Reed was more valuable, more crucial to the IWU offensive system, more than was realized last season. 

Great to see Jordan Nelson come on board.  Welcome Jordan . . . how about a "Jordan and Jordan front court!"  Could happen.  Overstreet and Sodemann are tough competitors, will be there to help the team I'm sure.  Zimmer is more fragile.  Hope Davis, Zman and Anderson have huge, hugely improved seasons.  Dortch will be there to play tough D no matter.  It's going to be a great season, upcoming.

IWU70

Lou Henson was also very concerned in 1989 that his illini team didn't have a true "5", if you will, and that would really hurt them.......Obviously as it turned out, it didn't matter with all those athletes....In fact, with that personnel, it would have hurt them by slowing down the athleticism of that team.......I see the same thing now with this team.  So many athletes, with so much depth......Run, Run Run :)

Titan Q

Congrats to the CCIW players named to the NABC Honors Court...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/afa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/2012-13HonorsCourtRelease.pdf

IWU - Nick Anderson, Mike Mayberger, Dan Oswald, Andrew Ziemnik, Brady Zimmer

NCC - Vince Kmiec

Wheaton - Chase Almen, Billy Berglund, Tad Fisher, Nate Haynes, Tyler Peters

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on July 15, 2013, 04:09:14 PM

Ron Rose recruited Nelson aggressively when he was a senior at Lincoln, but it never seemed very realistic for IWU to land him at the time. He had several Division II scholarship offers early, and a lot of Division I interest up to the mid-major level.  After his senior season ended, in addition to the D2 offers, Nelson had some low D1 offers and interest from several mid-majors.   Evansville from the Missouri Valley offered in April and he signed there.

So we have, in Mr. Nelson, a player who "in addition to (several) D2 offers, had some low D1 offers and interest from several mid-majors," is giving up a scholarship and transferring from a D1 to D3 IWU so he can be "a good player at IWU and a part of the backcourt rotation the next two years"?  ???

Rather than just being a part of the backcourt rotation, it would appear the reality is that sooner or later, Nelson will be being introduced as a member of the starting lineup. Given that he is a "combo" guard, the real question seems to be whether he will supplant Overstreet, or more likely Sodemann, in the starting lineup.
And, if Nelson becomes the starting 2G, does that effectively push Zimmer down to 3rd string? Considering Zimmer's skill, that possibility seems pretty hard to comprehend. Perhaps Zimmer becomes the backup at the 3 as opposed to the 2. Or, is that Dortch's spot? I'm sure Rose likes the options, no matter the combinations.

IWU really seems to have a plethora of backcourt players. In addition to Nelson, last year's starters Overstreet and Sodemann who will both only be juniors this year, and Zimmer, the guard position also includes Dolan who saw some court time last season, and fellow returnees, Nelms, Hart, Azougu, Pennington, and Roadman. In addition, 4 or 5 of the previously mentioned incoming players are listed as being guards. Thats at least 14 backcourt players. Maybe they can loan a few out to other teams in the region who are no so well stocked at the position.  :)

Titan Q

Quote from: AndOne on July 18, 2013, 09:21:00 PM
Given that he is a "combo" guard, the real question seems to be whether he will supplant Overstreet, or more likely Sodemann, in the starting lineup.

I'm not sure how IWU's 2013-14 backcourt rotation will shake up, but I am 100% sure that Dylan Overstreet will be IWU's starting PG. 

AndOne

It would be very surprising if that was not the case.

AndOne

NCC's spacious and bedazzling (::)) Merner Fieldhouse, aka "The Hangar" is set to receive new bleachers/seats, and associated hardware tomorrow at 7:00 A.M. in advance of interior renovation work which is scheduled to begin next Monday, 7/22.
Installation work will take approximately 3 weeks.

http://www.northcentralcardinals.com/images/2013/5/3/GregoryArenaUpgade_FloorPlan.jpg

Work is scheduled to include:

* Creating a new competition gym by adding 1,100 bleacher-style seats on the north, east and west sides of the court and approximately 220 new seats on the south side designated for alumni and donors.
* Upgrading the sound system to reach the new bleachers that are courtside and existing upper balcony seats.
* Renovating locker rooms with video capabilities, lockers, fresh paint and flooring.
* Adding new portable basketball hoops with attached shot clock.
* Upgrading the main scoreboard to include player fouls, points, and substitution numbers.
* Single-season and career record boards for each sport that competes in Gregory Arena.

The new seating combined with the existing 1208 balcony seats will bring the new "official" Hangar seating capacity to 2,528. Additional temporary seating may be available in the southeast and southwest corners.

veterancciwfan

Regarding the renovation of Merner: Congratulations. Now NCC and the Cubs (soon-I don't know the timetable) will have a new look to old facilities.

Regarding IWU: I think it is likely that Nelson, Overstreet and Sodemann will be the guards with Zimmer (hope he is healthy and I think he will be) moving to the 3 backed up by Dortch (what a final game he had against NCC-he finally found his position as a driving to the basket quick 3) and Ziemnik. Posts will be Davis, Ziemnik, Marietti (he has a lot of talent to go with a legit. 6'8" 230 lb. frame), Musselman (he has really worked out this summer and has lost 15 lbs. and would start for many D3 schools), and Anderson. I predict IWU will be a perimeter shooting team even with the experienced and proven post players. Here are the 3-point shooting percentages and total 3s from last season:

Ziemnik  .286  (31- he has a habit of hitting critical 3s in the last 5 minutes, especially on the road)
Overstreet  .354 (28)
Davis    .338 ( 23)
Sodemann  .412 ( 35)
Zimmer  .550 (22 of 39 attempts)
Musselman  .481 (13 of 27)

Then add Nelson and IWU has 7 3-pt. shooters. It might pose difficult defensive problems for opposing coaches.

veterancciwfan

I omitted a key player from IWU's 2012-13 team, Michael Mayberger, whoo can play either the 2 or the 3. His 3 point stats:
.483 (28 of 58). He was instrumental in several IWU games (including the opening game with Coe when he sank 3 FTs at the end of regulation and flipped a 2-point loss to a 1-point win)  and he made the Wash. U. Lopatta Classic all-tournament team (4 good teams including Tufts and Wilmington).

Titan Q

Yes, Ron Rose will be able to go with a "small" or "big" starting lineup.  Something like...

G - Dylan Overstreet, 6-3 Jr
G - Jordan Nelson, 6-1 Jr
G - Brady Zimmer, 6-4 Sr
F - Andrew Ziemnik, 6-4 Sr
F - Victor Davis, 6-5 Sr

Bench candidates (pick 5) - Bryce Dolan (G), Pat Sodemann (G), Mike Mayberger (G/F), Eric Dortch (F), Nick Anderson (C), Mike Marietti (C), Parker Musselman (F)

or something like...

G - Dylan Overstreet, 6-3 Jr
G - Jordan Nelson, 6-1 Jr
F - Andrew Ziemnik, 6-4 Sr
F - Victor Davis, 6-5 Sr
C - Nick Anderson, 6-9 Sr

Bench candidates (pick 5) - Bryce Dolan (G), Brady Zimmer (G), Pat Sodemann (G), Mike Mayberger (G/F), Eric Dortch (F), Mike Marietti (C), Parker Musselman (F)

Rose will have incredible versatility with his 2013-14 squad in that so many varsity-ready guys can legitimately play multiple positions:

Dylan Overstreet - 1 or 2
Jordan Nelson - 1 or 2
Bryce Dolan - 1 or 2
Brady Zimmer - 2 or 3
Pat Sodemann - 2 or 3
Mike Mayberger - 2 or 3
Andrew Ziemnik - 3 or 4
Eric Dortch - 3 or 4
Victor Davis - 4 or 5
Parker Musselman - 4 or 5

IWU will have fierce competition for PT in the preseason.  This could end up a lot of different ways.

Titan Q

Augustana, IWU, and Wheaton are recipients of the inaugural NABC Team Excellence Awards (cumulative team GPA of 3.0+)...

http://static.psbin.com/4/8/xli12ufkpvsm74/2012-13_NABC_Team_Academic_Excellence_Awards.pdf

95 men's basketball teams total, across all NCAA and NAIA levels, earned the award for 2012-13.