East Region Playoff Discussion

Started by pg04, November 10, 2006, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: Jonny Podunk on November 01, 2010, 07:24:26 PM
Quote from: DanPadavona on November 01, 2010, 06:51:10 PM
I can't see SUNY Maritime getting in unless they win out, and even then I don't think it is 100%.  The quality of competition borders on horrendous, and I don't think the NCAA uses the flawed strength of schedule formula as much as they have in the past.  I think the committee is knowledgeable enough to know Norwich was a cellar dweller in the E-8, and is suddenly a contender for the championship in the ECFC.

The ECFC won't get respect until they beat some quality OOC teams.  The same way that nobody worried about Curry until they beat Hartwick and Ithaca in the playoffs.

I guess what I really want to know is if there has to be 3 pool B teams in the playoffs. 

According to the FAQs, yes...

The only way a Pool of teams can be shorted a bid is when a 4th Pool B warrants a bid over a Pool C...

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Upstate on November 01, 2010, 07:40:09 PM
I can't see SUNY Maritime getting in unless they win out, and even then I don't think it is 100%.  The quality of competition borders on horrendous, and I don't think the NCAA uses the flawed strength of schedule formula as much as they have in the past.  I think the committee is knowledgeable enough to know Norwich was a cellar dweller in the E-8, and is suddenly a contender for the championship in the ECFC.

The ECFC won't get respect until they beat some quality OOC teams.  The same way that nobody worried about Curry until they beat Hartwick and Ithaca in the playoffs.

I guess what I really want to know is if there has to be 3 pool B teams in the playoffs. 

The only way a Pool of teams can be shorted a bid is when a 4th Pool B warrants a bid over a Pool C...

Yea that is the way I read it too.  Doesn't make too much sense if you ask me.  I must be missing something.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: Jonny Podunk on November 01, 2010, 07:42:10 PM

Yea that is the way I read it too.  Doesn't make too much sense if you ask me.  I must be missing something.

Yeah what happens if the 3rd best Pool B is a 6-4 team (it's not the case this year)?

How can they honestly justify that?

labart96

Agree with Pat - 2 losses isn't going to cut it this year, especially when one potential 9-1 NJAC team and possibly SJFC could be SOL depending on how things pan out.

I really only see 1 Pool C from the east if SUNY M goes 10-0.  I suppose it's possible SUNY M could be shifted to the "Wesley/South bracket" but guessing that won't happen.

Maine Maritime is less than 500 miles from Throggs....the committee could send them (assuming they win the NEFC) down for an all maritime bowl in the first round of the playoffs.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: TGP on November 01, 2010, 07:46:54 PM
Agree with Pat - 2 losses isn't going to cut it this year, especially when one potential 9-1 NJAC team and possibly SJFC could be SOL depending on how things pan out.

I really only see 1 Pool C from the east if SUNY M goes 10-0.  I suppose it's possible SUNY M could be shifted to the "Wesley/South bracket" but guessing that won't happen.

Maine Maritime is less than 500 miles from Throggs....the committee could send them (assuming they win the NEFC) down for an all maritime bowl in the first round of the playoffs.

Yea but if the NJAC team is 9-1 and SJF is a pool C, that would mean Ithaca would have lost to Alfred and/or Cortland anway.  But if Ithaca spanks Aflred and then Cortland, could you take IC over Rowan or Montclair?

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: TGP on November 01, 2010, 07:46:54 PM

If those two teams are matched up vs each other it would be a travishamockery...

Frank Rossi

I can't see SUNY Maritime getting in unless they win out, and even then I don't think it is 100%.  The quality of competition borders on horrendous, and I don't think the NCAA uses the flawed strength of schedule formula as much as they have in the past.  I think the committee is knowledgeable enough to know Norwich was a cellar dweller in the E-8, and is suddenly a contender for the championship in the ECFC.

The ECFC won't get respect until they beat some quality OOC teams.  The same way that nobody worried about Curry until they beat Hartwick and Ithaca in the playoffs.

SUNY-Maritime will likely move to #4 or #5 in the East Regional Rankings Wednesday -- the win vs. Norwich was against a #8 team in last week's rankings, meaning we could see Alfred (and potentially Montclair) thud below them.  However, that in and of itself doesn't guarantee selection.  What does pretty much guarantee it is that the Committee has enough trouble picking a 2-loss Pool C team over a 1-loss Pool C team.  Do you REALLY think the Committee will pick a 2-loss Pool B team over a 0-loss Pool B team?  The same rules apply -- there are no direct links between SUNY-Maritime and any of the Pool B teams, so the fact that the Regional Subcomittee has SUNY-Maritime on the radar and the idea that Pool B is looking at less than three 1-loss teams virtually guarantees SUNY-Maritime's selection.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Upstate on November 01, 2010, 07:44:46 PM

Yeah what happens if the 3rd best Pool B is a 6-4 team (it's not the case this year)?

The rationale (accept it or not) is that pool B teams get invites at a rate to approximate the odds of a team in a pool A conference getting a bid.

In basketball a few years back a 12-13 team got a pool B bid.  So, yeah, if it came to that they would take a 6-4 pool B team.

Jonny Utah

So here are the possible pool C teams with one loss as I can see it (besides the NJAC teams, and if Ithaca won out, they might be ranked around 25-30 at that point.)

Ohio Northern
Bethel
Augustana/North Central loser
Wartburg/Central/Coe (2 of those teams have a good chance of having 1 loss)
Pacific Lutheran
Hardin Simmons (they have a 50% chance of losing one more game)
Wittenburg (if they lose to Wabash)
Thomas Moore (if they lose to Waynesburg which probably won't happen)
Trine (Would they make it if they lose to a 6-4 conference champ Albion?)
Hamden-Sydney (if they lose one of their last two games which they probably wont)
Redlands

Yea those are a lot of good teams in there.  My only hope for Ithaca would be this:
Hardin Simmons loses another game.
Wartburg beats Central, Coe loses to Buena Vista
Wittenberg beats Wabash

Then it looks like there might be a spot or two for an east team and Ithaca would hope they would get picked over an NJAC one loss team.

Frank Rossi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 01, 2010, 08:25:26 PM

The rationale (accept it or not) is that pool B teams get invites at a rate to approximate the odds of a team in a pool A conference getting a bid.

In basketball a few years back a 12-13 team got a pool B bid.  So, yeah, if it came to that they would take a 6-4 pool B team.

Look no further than Pool A's potential SLU problem.  SLU would potentially still make the tournament at 4-6 or 5-5, with a guaranteed finish of no better than 6-4.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: Jonny Podunk on November 01, 2010, 08:27:32 PM
So here are the possible pool C teams with one loss as I can see it (besides the NJAC teams, and if Ithaca won out, they might be ranked around 25-30 at that point.)

Ohio Northern
Bethel
Pacific Lutheran
Hamden-Sydney (if they lose one of their last two games which they probably wont)
Redlands

Yea those are a lot of good teams in there.  My only hope for Ithaca would be this:
Wittenberg beats Wabash

Then it looks like there might be a spot or two for an east team and Ithaca would hope they would get picked over an NJAC one loss team.

SJF is a one loss team as well that might be sitting home come playoff time even if they end up 9-1...

There is no possible way to justify an 8-2 Ithaca over a 9-1 SJF/Rowan...

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Upstate on November 01, 2010, 09:04:15 PM
Quote from: Jonny Podunk on November 01, 2010, 08:27:32 PM

Ohio Northern
Bethel
Pacific Lutheran
Redlands

Wittenberg beats Wabash

SJF is a one loss team as well that might be sitting home come playoff time even if they end up 9-1...

There is no possible way to justify an 8-2 Ithaca over a 9-1 SJF/Rowan...

Well SJF would have to win the league and Rowan might have to as well in order for IC to make it.  But I do think the NJAC is a weaker conference and a strong finish by Ithaca could put them in over Montclair.  A late loss to Cortland with a late Ithaca stomping of Cortland might convince the committee.  Stranger things have happened.  And who knows, maybe this is the year where the NCAA awards goog non league games?  (not that Ithaca has a fanstic non league schedule)

dlippiel

Again, from no on everyone should play all cupcakes and just focus on getting into the tourney right? Forget rivalries, challenges, etc. Create a schedule that will allow your team if it is half way decent to go undefeated...problem solved :P

rams1102

This is all like politics. It sucks.  ::) All I can say is : Montclair, kick ass & take numbers. Then let the chips fall where they may, and don't miss another chip shot. ;D
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

Pat Coleman

Just like there's no way the NJAC champ would be left out if it finished 6-4. These are the "automatic bids" for the teams not fortunate enough to be in other conferences.

In the unlikely event that there aren't three Pool B-eligible teams .500 or better, then Pool B would be shorted a bid.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.