FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tweisman5

Quote from: LineCat on September 21, 2018, 07:47:15 AM
Quote from: G-manWU on September 20, 2018, 08:10:52 PM
Quote from: gordonmann on September 15, 2018, 11:48:39 PM
It really does. King's, Wilkes, Misericordia all fared well today.

And when was the last time you looked at a Lycoming/FDU-Florham game, like next week's, and said, "That's a big game in the conference race?"

Great to see the MAC race off to a strong start! It's been some time since the league looked as balanced as it appears to be this season.

My thanks for all of the positive comments on Wilkes; while they came up short against the Aggies, I think Coach Drach and the Colonels continue to improve each week.

I'll need to miss the game with Misericordia this week, but I look forward to seeing (hopefully) both the games against Alvernia and Albright in the next few weeks. Here's to a great rest of the season to all!

Widener 27  -  Albright 24.

This game is intriguing as both teams have much to earn from a win, which leads me to believe the game be a one possession game that could swing either direction.
Go Mustangs!

tweisman5

Friday Fact of the Week

Fact:

Most All-MAC Team Selections (2014-2017)

Team (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017): #

1. Del Val (11, 14, 18, 19): 62
2. Albright (11, 15, 16, 12): 54
3. Widener (18, 13, 12, 9): 52
4. Stevenson (10, 10, 17, 11): 48
5. Lycoming (13, 5, 5, 5): 28
6. Leb Val (8, 9, 7, 5): 27
7. Wilkes (6, 9, 7, 2): 24
8. King's (4, 4, 5, 6): 19
9. Misericordia (2, 5, 3, 3): 13
10. FDU (1, 3, 4, 3): 11

Reaction:

A few surprises as I wouldn't believe FDU to have the least All-MAC players since 2014. Wilkes was a somewhat surprise with 24 selections, which goes to prove they could be a serious threat going forward with the new coaching staff already producing a better team. The usually top teams of Del Val, Albright, Widener, and Stevenson is unlikely to surprise anybody.
Go Mustangs!

ITH radio

Not a lot of wins for FDU over that stretch. Crazy they can get to 4-0 with a win today.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

kate

I see Widener came alive - BIG TIME!

LineCat

Nice win for team Widener. Congratulations!   

kate

Big game on Saturday at 1 pm between the Aggies of Del Val and Stevenson at Owings Mills.   Homer that i am, GO AGGIES!   We'll be watching on the web.

tweisman5

Quote from: kate on September 26, 2018, 08:29:23 AM
Big game on Saturday at 1 pm between the Aggies of Del Val and Stevenson at Owings Mills.   Homer that i am, GO AGGIES!   We'll be watching on the web.

I'm thrilled for this matchup as I expect it to be a good game and possible unofficial MAC championship game! I'm hopeful I can make it to the game and cheer on my Mustangs!
Go Mustangs!

tweisman5

Below are my week 5 predictions and rankings. The spread (-#) is provided by Massey Ratings and the top 25 rankings are from the Hansen Ratings composite. Good luck to everyone this week!

Week 5 Predictions

Widener (-3.5) @ Leb Val: Widener wins by 7

Del Val (-7.5) @ Stevenson: Stevenson wins by 3

King's @ Lycoming (-9.5): Lycoming wins by 10

FDU @ Albright (-3.5): FDU wins by 7

Castleton @ Misericordia (-18.5): Misericordia wins by 17

Wilkes (-15.5) @ Alvernia: Wilkes wins by 14

Week 5 Rankings
1. Stevenson (3-1, 2-0)
2. Del Val (3-1, 2-0)
3. Lycoming (3-1, 2-0)
4. FDU (3-1, 1-1)
5. Misericordia (2-1, 2-0)
6. Widener (1-3, 1-1)
7. King's (1-2, 0-1)
8. Wilkes (1-3, 0-2)
9. Albright (0-4, 0-2) 
10. Leb Val (0-3, 0-1)
11. Alvernia (1-2, 0-2)

Prediction Record
Last Week: 3-2 (.600)
Season: 20-8 (.714)
Career: 63-26 (.708)
Go Mustangs!

wone3

Quote from: tweisman5 on September 26, 2018, 01:15:03 PM
Quote from: kate on September 26, 2018, 08:29:23 AM

I'm thrilled for this matchup as I expect it to be a good game and possible unofficial MAC championship game! I'm hopeful I can make it to the game and cheer on my Mustangs!

Yep it ought to be a good game and it's mass band day for the marching band which means 400+ high school kids in the stands as well playing with the band at the half. This will probably be the likely game to decide the championship but again it seems somewhat an open year where anyone will surprise and the teams need to play their game.

LineCat

Saturday Prediction. Widener 24  -  Lebanon Valley 17.

tweisman5

Friday Fact of the Week

Fact:

MAC Champion Scoring Offense & Defensive (2014-2017)

Year Team: #MAC Rank (Off. Points), #MAC Rank (Def. Points)

2014 Widener: #2 (37.3), #2 (17.4)
2015 Albright: #1 (35.2), #4 (19.3)
2016 Stevenson: #2 (34.9), #3 (19.0)
2017 Del Val: #1 (38.6), #1 (10.5)

Reaction:

This research shows a few interesting pieces of relevant information. First, I believe this shows the importance of offense slightly higher than defense as the MAC champ has consistently finished top two within the conference. Also, the data starts to build a profile of the standard to win the MAC; an offense that averages 36+ points and a defense that allows no more than 18 points per game. At this point of the season, no team meets both metrics so it will be an interesting race to witness who has the fastest improvement going forward.
Go Mustangs!

kate

Nice win on the road, Aggies - Go Del Val!

Graham8020

Awesome win! In full disclosure, I'm a biased fan by default. I gotta say the fact that so many people wrote these guys off at the beginning of the season makes this win extra special.  I don't even think Greco knew what he had at the start of the season.  Great job by a bunch of roll players.  Teamwork makes the dream work.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Graham8020 on September 29, 2018, 04:33:30 PM
Awesome win! In full disclosure, I'm a biased fan by default. I gotta say the fact that so many people wrote these guys off at the beginning of the season makes this win extra special.  I don't even think Greco knew what he had at the start of the season.  Great job by a bunch of roll players.  Teamwork makes the dream work.

Lost 9 of 11 defensive starters and 3 underclassmen who would have started didn't return
Lost 6 of 11 offensive starters including two All-Conference offensive linemen, the MAC's best RB (as well as his two primary, underclassmen, backup's) and their best receiver starts at CB on defense
Their best RB is in the stands and is enrolled with 4 years of eligibility remaining..................watch out for this kid (name not important) over the coming years

The Preseason Coaches Poll is a bit of a sham (I've talked to coaches who love to put the target on a team, some even collude to do it together) as any team losing 15 of 22 starters is not the "best" team in the league, especially with the number of key returning players across most other teams in the MAC.

They are quite young at many positions, although filling Darden's shoes will be a tall task. If they are able to do that, next year's team could be somewhere between last year's team and this year's.

There is no doubt in my mind that Coach Greco and Crew are the best coaching staff in this conference. With many other teams rolling out much larger packages and nicer facilities, what they do year in and year out is nothing short of a miracle. I love hungry players who aren't impressed by slick facilities. Give me a bunch of hungry (Jason Kelce) kids who bring the inner dog in them!

I haven't seen them in person this year as work has taken me out of the area but they are exceeding my expectations thus far.

Graham8020

They're beyond stacked at WR. There are 2 or 3 more on the team that are actually a little more polished than the one you're referring to which leads me to my segue about the QB position. Darden, is an athlete back there but I think you'll be surprised about what's coming behind him. The more they win the more talented transfers just pop up on Dukes doorstep.