MBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 22, 2005, 12:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Ron Boerger

Quote from: gordonmann on July 07, 2016, 11:51:32 PM
Pretty cool hire by TLU a week after losing Jimmy Smith to D1.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2016/06/texas-lutheran-wacker-hire

Good to see another Coach Wacker at TLU.   Didn't take the Bulldogs long to find their man!

tony_baldwin

Opening night recaps from around the SCAC. Trinity and Southwestern both took down ASC divisional favorites on opening night.

Tuesday, Nov. 15
Trinity 75, @ Texas-Dallas 56 // BOX SCORE

- Trinity led 44-26 at the half
- The Tigers started the game on a 9-0 run and led 28-8 with 8:44 to play in first half
- Danny Rivara scored a game-high 26 points and collected 10 boards
- Trinity won the battle of the boards, 49-31

@ Texas Lutheran 87, Mary Hardin-Baylor 84 // BOX SCORE
- TLU shot 50 percent (13 of 26) from beyond the arc
- Sterling Holmes led a trio of Bulldogs into double figures with 25 points
- TLU led 74-61 with 10:23 to play
- The Bulldogs scored their final seven points on free throws, including one from Holmes and two from Zach Behr to break an 84-84 tie in the final 34 seconds.

Southwestern 97, @ Hardin-Simmons 95 // BOX SCORE
- Connor Kim hit a jumper with one second left in the game
- The Pirates overcame a 17-point deficit to win
- Ryan Ogden led all five starters into double digits with 22 points
- Ben Stiver, who scored 20, hit four consecutive free throws (two from a technical foul) with 29 seconds to go, which gave SU its first lead of the contest
- Southwestern outrebounded the Cowboys, 41-37

Dallas 89, @ Hendrix 88 (OT) // BOX SCORE
- The Crusaders rallied from a 12-point, second-half deficit to tie the game at the end of regulation
- Lorenzo Gonzalez hit a 3-pointer with three seconds left in regulation to send game to OT
- Dallas used an 11-6 spurt to take an advantage in the extra session
- Hendrix's Bryce Batchelor buried a 3-pointer as time expired to cut lead to one point
- The Crusaders shot 50.7 percent (35 of 69) from the floor in the game
- Michael Sarrat scored a team-high 21 points
- Prince Giadolor scored 6 points, grabbed 10 boards and dished out 7 assists in 35 minutes of action

LeTourneau 92, @ Austin College 78 // BOX SCORE
- The 'Roos trailed 49-38 at halftime
- Austin Freet (17 points/11 rebounds) and Jeremy Swisher (15 points/12 rebounds) both logged double-doubles
- The 'Roos shot 40.8 percent from the field, but just 15.4 percent (2 of 13) from behind the 3-point line
- Austin College scored 50 of its 78 points in the paint

Sul Ross State 82, @ Schreiner 77 // BOX SCORE
- Schreiner trailed 47-42 at halftime
- Blake Kelley's 3-pointer with 20 seconds left cut the Lobo lead to 81-77
- Jared Thompson scored 19 points to lead the Mountaineers
- Schreiner turned the ball over 20 times
- The Mountaineers shot 61.5 percent (8 of 13) from downtown

@ East Texas Baptist 90, Centenary 77 // BOX SCORE
- Centenary trailed at the half, 48-41
- The Gents went scoreless for nearly seven minutes to start second half, as ETBU used an 11-0 run to pull away
- Travion Kirkendoll (25 points) and Treylan Matthes (21 points) led Centenary's offensive effort
- The Gents were beat on the boards, 57-30
- Centenary shot only 36.9 percent (24 of 65) from the field

Ron Boerger

gordonmann

FYI, this week's Around the South column focuses on Texas Lutheran

http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-region/south/2016-17/wacker-texas-lutheran

I watched some of their game against Whitworth on Saturday night. They hung tough despite Holmes' injury limiting his time. I was impressed by what I saw.

Ron Boerger

The SCAC today announced that Johnson & Wales-Denver, an NAIA school making the transition to D3 starting in 2018 Fall 2017, will join the conference as a core member in 2018.   I'm sure they won't be eligible for championships until several years down the road as is typical for transitioning schools, but this will make a big difference in travel for basketball and soccer teams which used to have to play one day at Colorado College and another in Texas.   

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 21, 2017, 01:27:44 PM
The SCAC today announced that Johnson & Wales-Denver, an NAIA school making the transition to D3 starting in 2018, will join the conference as a core member in 2018.   I'm sure they won't be eligible for championships until several years down the road as is typical for transitioning schools, but this will make a big difference in travel for basketball and soccer teams which used to have to play one day at Colorado College and another in Texas.   

I don't know, I-25 from Colorado Springs to Denver is getting pretty congested these days.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ron Boerger

Former Schreiner, TLU coach heading to Millsaps:   http://gomajors.com/news/2017/4/3/smith-named-head-mens-basketball-coach-at-millsaps.aspx#.WOKBkNJo610.twitter

Fine coach, from his record, the question is why does he move around more than Larry Brown?   That would give me pause if I was an administrator.

Ron Boerger

Saw this last week - HC Adam Walsh is leaving Centenary for the same position at Shenandoah:   http://www.gocentenary.com/mbasketball/news/2016-17/8296/adam-walsh-steps-down-as-gents-basketball-coach-after-seven-seasons/

Good hire for Shenandoah (his predecessor was 40-117 in six seasons), and Walsh returns to the area where he grew up. He'll be hard-pressed to have the same success in the ODAC that he had in the SCAC, but a new athletic center coming on line next season could help.

guest323

is this the season centenary makes it to the dance? the kirkendoll has some unreal highlights my buddy sent me - scac teams seem to have average records. martin on colorado seems like a stud too

Ralph Turner

Quote from: guest323 on January 19, 2018, 12:37:58 AM
is this the season centenary makes it to the dance? the kirkendoll has some unreal highlights my buddy sent me - scac teams seem to have average records. martin on colorado seems like a stud too
Welcome, guest323!

Ron Boerger

Quote from: guest323 on January 19, 2018, 12:37:58 AM

The SCAC seems very much up for grabs this season (as it often is - men's basketball is not a strength of the conference).   It's going to be who gets hot at tourney time.   If you look at the records for the last ten games, almost all but the bottom feeders are playing .500 ball. 

tarheelfan

Not a strength but 5 different SCAC MBB athletes have been named to the D3 Hoops TOTW...D3 Basketball in the South Region is always better than some others give it credit. SCAC, ASC, USA South have players and teams that can compete with anyone.

One example: Trinity and Southwestern defeated Springfield handily this December. Springfield has wins over #12 MIT and #14 Wesleyan. It's all about matchups and style of play.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tarheelfan on January 25, 2018, 12:09:54 AM
Not a strength but 5 different SCAC MBB athletes have been named to the D3 Hoops TOTW...D3 Basketball in the South Region is always better than some others give it credit. SCAC, ASC, USA South have players and teams that can compete with anyone.

One example: Trinity and Southwestern defeated Springfield handily this December. Springfield has wins over #12 MIT and #14 Wesleyan. It's all about matchups and style of play.
My assessment is that the SCAC and ASC teams have to "fly" for later rounds and so have real home court "disadvantage" in so many cases.

It is rare to have the Round #3/#4 game hosted and played in this part of the country, for numerous reasons.

I also think that ASC & SCAC teams do not match well against teams from the Central Region.  The matchups against the Great Lakes and West Region are less challenging.

I think that we would fare better if we played teams from the Northeast, East, Atlantic, and Middle Atlantic regions in the third and fourth rounds.

Ralph Turner

Look at the UMHB 2012-13, the year they lost to Amherst in the Championship game. 

That was the season that they played the Finals at the D1 Championship site. They had played at Whitworth earlier in the season, so they had been in the fieldhouse earlier in the season. They were familiar with the sight lines, the background, the lighting, the floor with its quirks, deadspots etc.

They had a first round bye.

CTX was the 2nd round foe (at home).

Back to Whitworth for Round 3.

They caught St Mary's MD (Middle Atlantic) on a neutral floor and St Thomas on a neutral floor in 4th and 5th round

http://www.d3hoops.com/teams/Mary_Hardin-Baylor/men/2012-13/index