MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

I don't see much positive in the Webster-UMSL box score...Webster loses 78-56, but they were down 35 and cut it to 22... Josh Johnson, a last man on the bench last year, finishes with 12 points...10 new names get minutes...Enrique Tankins gets one hoop, 7 points,,,we'll see much more from him...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on November 14, 2017, 09:51:54 PM
I don't see much positive in the Webster-UMSL box score...Webster loses 78-56, but they were down 35 and cut it to 22... Josh Johnson, a last man on the bench last year, finishes with 12 points...10 new names get minutes...Enrique Tankins gets one hoop, 7 points,,,we'll see much more from him...

I watched the game. The camera seemed far from the court so it was hard to have a good view of the action. A respectable first half for Webster, down by 9 at halftime. But UMSL played the first 8-9 minutes of the second half at what seemed like a much faster pace, and they we're making almost severy shot they took, to build a big lead. Tough shooting night for WU. Hope that improves.

For whatever reason this game did not make it into the SLIAC schedule and thus not into the d3hoops schedule of games played today.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 14, 2017, 10:04:59 PM

I watched the game. The camera seemed far from the court so it was hard to have a good view of the action. A respectable first half for Webster, down by 9 at halftime. But UMSL played the first 8-9 minutes of the second half at what seemed like a much faster pace, and they we're making almost severy shot they took, to build a big lead. Tough shooting night for WU. Hope that improves.

For whatever reason this game did not make it into the SLIAC schedule and thus not into the d3hoops schedule of games played today.

Exhibition game... thus not on our site and probably why it isn't on the SLIAC site as well.

Now, it isn't in our system at all, but whoever did put their schedule in (whether from the SLIAC or us) could have included it, but since it was an exhibition it still wouldn't have shown up.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 15, 2017, 10:46:53 AM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 14, 2017, 10:04:59 PM

Exhibition game... thus not on our site and probably why it isn't on the SLIAC site as well.

Now, it isn't in our system at all, but whoever did put their schedule in (whether from the SLIAC or us) could have included it, but since it was an exhibition it still wouldn't have shown up.

Wait Dave... Exhibition games do show up... this was a real game for UMSL.... the inclusion of these games and the results have been spotty, which is to be understood (I view it as some info is better than none), but some games have shown on the daily schedule back to the end of October when exhibitions started, which I'm sure is what Y-Jack was referring to...

Now then, given the start of regular season games today, it would be smart not to include any more exhibition games, so as not to create confusion as to what are real games, and what are exhibitions... ;)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We discussed changing the settings about exhibitions... maybe Gordon ended up doing it and I didn't realize it. I can't remember what the decision was. The challenge is if we start including all exhibition games on our system... then as we input schedules from non-Presto client schools, we have to add a lot more games than we are already doing. There is already countless hours being put in to input games... that is where half of the decision to not include them usually circles.

I checked Webster's system on our backend and the game is not even on our backend. They are a Sidearm school, so either they, the SLIAC, or ourselves put their schedule in and did not include the exhibition schedule - not sure how that worked out.

The other challenge as well... not all schools put their exhibition games on their own schedules. :)

As for including regular season exhibition games... I don't believe we can be that detailed in the on/off switch. It might be possible, but as you point out it would cause confusion. That said, preseason exhibition games have caused confusion as well because not every regular day fan understands the start date(s) of the NCAA basketball season. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

Greek Tragedy

Not a good start for the Mac Train as they go down 75-57, Monmouth led by 6 at the break. Davis had 19, but had no rebounds, assists, steals or blocks. Brent Long came to play with 19 and 11.  Cameron had 14, so 52 of the 57 points scored by 3 players.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

y_jack_lok

Looks like Eureka was the only SLIAC winner last night.

hopefan

To Eureka Coach Chip Wilde... GREAT JOB... of scheduling... It pays to schedule a season opener  against a school that didn't  win a game last year..

To the other 6 coaches whose SLIAC teams played, and got crushed last night... Don't worry about it, you didn't do any worse than any your cohorts..

Yikes, what a horrible night... even my "could end up 2-5" was surpassed, to 1-6.

Let's take a brief look at the boxscores, as painful as it might be...

Eureka beats Robert Morris Springfield, 117-52... how has RMS already won 2 games?   Shea Feehan goes for 34, Hank Thomas 25, both likely shooting lots of wide open jumpers from the arc...

then... where to start

Greenville loses to Transylvania, 130-98...  now stats from system games always are mind boggling, so check this out.. All the new guys at Greenville evidently 'get it'... they create an incredible 45 turnovers by Transy.. but still lose by 32.. and were down 25 at half... how? why?  because they couldn't throw a rock in the ocean once they had the ball.. 18% from 3's,  11 for 61, 50 missed 3's.. gag, sputter... and when Transy wasn't turning it over, they were likely getting layups, shooting 65% from the field.  The margin approached 50 points at one time...

MacMurray loses to Monmouth  75-57... down 6 at half, never close in 2nd hald.. big 3 do their job (Cameron, Long, Davis) scoring, looks like everyone else just watched.. and Davis.. did he simply stand around the 3 point line firing? no rebounding?  no assists?   is this the same moody, play when I want to, kid I saw at Eureka last year?  Much more needed....  back to the drawing board for Coach Creal.. I expected a close game here, an OPPORTUNITY to show what we got... and Mac gets blown out...

Iowa Wesleyan falls to Coe, 99-66.... the good news, Elijah Johnson appears on the roster and plays... the bad news, Mitch Drey appears on the roster and doesn't play.  Brock Butler goes for 26 and 7 assists, but a one man show is not gonna win...down 12 at half, it just keeps getting worse in the 2nd half... outrebounded 45-24, give up 60% FG shooting from Coe..

Spalding loses to Berea, 68-53... this one was a little closer than the final score indicates... Spalding was within 7 with 4 and a half left... Rylan Rowe doesn't start? But he finishes as high scorer with 13 points...  Starter Brandon Williams gets 12 points, other 4 starters combine for 8 points... What????
Spalding outebounded 51-27, shoot 32% from the field 50% from foul line.. almost wonder how they lost by only 15....one positive takeaway, 3 frosh get significant minutes, show potential.

Fontbonne loses to Illinois Wesleyan, 90-68... Fontbonne down 16 at half, plays IWU relatively close in the 2nd half....Tom Ritter has nice game 7 for 10 from field, 18 points...the griffs seem to get a little from a number of players, this might be viewed as an encouraging experience....

Westminster loses to Simpson  83-61... Westmin gives up 53% from the field by Simpson, shoots 34% themselves... outrebounded 38-29... that was enough to do it...No Jimmy Villabalos, but no one is telling us why...new face Kobe Wands goes for 22...

hopefan

Well, the debacle of opening night really popped a hole in my enthusiasm balloon for the SLIAC, but I quickly patched it up, and am now looking forward to the weekend of SLIAC basketball.  Unfortunately, I fear things will stay ugly, very ugly, with the distinct possibility of no wins on Friday.
6 SLIAC teams take the floor on Friday, each in a 2 night tournament...

Greenville travels to the Case Western Reserve Tourney where they open with Montclair State... the other two teams are Case Western and Frostburg State..  winners and losers play on Saturday.  Montclair was picked 7th out of 10 teams in the NJAC.. this is their season opener.. but don't be fooled.. I view the NJAC as vastly superior to the SLIAC.. Montclair graduated their leading scorer from last year and one other part time starter, but has 4 regulars returning... How will these guys react to the system, something they've never seen before?  Interesting... On returning talent alone, I go with Montclair in this one.

Webster goes down the street to Wash U and the Lopata Tourney... opening with Tufts.... Wash U plays Wabash.  Winners and losers play Saturday... Tufts was ranked No 6 in the nation in the D3Hoops preseason poll... Apples and oranges, a learning experience for the Gorlocks.

Principia plays home team Illinois college in the Illinois College Tourney... Dominican and U of the Ozarks is the other game...Winners and losers play Saturday... Illinois College was picked 8th in the Midwest Conference... IC loses 2 starters from last year, but 6 regulars return... Can the Prin ironman 5 go hard for 40 minutes in a game that looks pretty even?   With home court advantage, I give the nod to IC, but this is one to keep your eye on...

Blackburn plays home team North Park... Gustavus Adolphus and Illinois Tech are the other two teams in a classic format.. Blackburn plays Gustavus on Saturday...North Park lost a lot from last season, but their leftovers will likely be much better than Blackburn's...

Spalding plays at the Roanoke Tournament opening with North Carolina Wesleyan...  Roanoke and Bluffton are in the other game... NC Wesleyan was picked 2nd in their division of the USAC... after seeing the messy boxscore from Spalding vs Berea, that's good enough for me sight unseen with NC Wes...

Iowa Wesleyan plays Aurora in the Wartburg Tourney... Wartburg and Crown in the other game... Iowa Wez can look forward to playing Crown in the consolation game on Saturday.. don't think they can compete with Aurora, who was picked to win the Nathcon....

So, can any of the 6 SLIAC teams get the conference's first win against a fellow D3 team... Iowa Wez, Webster won't make it happen, Greenville, Spalding and Blackburn could pull off a tremendous upset.. but Prin has a real chance....  BUT likely, 0-6 for the evening...

Greek Tragedy

I pay attention to this board mostly because of you...and for fantasy leagues purposes. It's too bad the league can't give you a better product that equals it's most dedicated poster. I'm really not sure if there are too many other conferences that can "compete" with the SLIAC in terms of futility.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 17, 2017, 07:37:48 AM
I pay attention to this board mostly because of you...and for fantasy leagues purposes. It's too bad the league can't give you a better product that equals it's most dedicated poster. I'm really not sure if there are too many other conferences that can "compete" with the SLIAC in terms of futility.

If Westminster was able to retain the two Division II transfers and one (and possibly two) freshman that were part of the Class of 2018, this might have been a special season.

Incidentally, former Webster freshman Evan Milligan scored 17 points in 23 minutes against a Division I Western Kentucky team that should be good this year.  Averaging 25 points per game at Kentucky Wesleyan.

WUPHF

I wish I had stayed on campus to watch Webster run with No. 6 Tufts. The Gorlocks trail by 3 with four minutes left in the first half.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: WUH on November 17, 2017, 06:32:47 PM
I wish I had stayed on campus to watch Webster run with No. 6 Tufts. The Gorlocks trail by 3 with four minutes left in the first half.

You better have a good reason for leaving.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Unfortunately I do not...

Gorlocks may have lost their momentum after a dunk and technical. Trail by 8.

Tufts starting to pull away...