MBB: Skyline Conference

Started by Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker, July 28, 2004, 10:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

john jacob smith

Whats good w/ the skyline this year?? MSMC got a good squad comin back this year..... any word on the new recruits????

Rob Grey

'Sup everybody...

Serious question for you guys: could SUNY Maritime be the new Bronx Bombers? The team that finished DEAD LAST in the Skyline in '03-'04 seems (I only said SEEMS, so calm down) to have gotten its act together. Word on the street is their brand new coaching staff went nuts in the off-season and recruited some pretty sick kids from Alabama Southern. There's also a rumor about 2 ex-members of the championship Kings Point squad from a couple years ago suiting up. Now, y'all know I don't know nothin' about nothin', I just tell you what I hear. So somebody get @ me! What's good with SUNY Maritime!!!

HoopsterMan

Let hear it for the winner of the 2003/2004 Skyline "Donkey of the Year" award.  It goes to President Berman from Manhattanville College.  Last year he sold out the Valiants Mens Basketball Team by going with a "name" coach instead of a real coach.  Dean the Dream turned out to be quite the nightmare!  From missing practices, sleeping in the gym, making the team bus drive him home after games, spitting on the court, cursing at opposing players (college kids), throwing chairs, threatening his players with his next years recruiting...he was a real disaster.  The team was able to overcome this "jerk" by coming together under the leadership of the assistant coaches led by Pat Scanlon.  Pat did a miracle job keeping the team focused while "The Nightmare" ranted and raved in incoherent verbiage.  

The team complained to the President but the publicity was worth it according to our 2003/2004 Donkey Award Winner.  Even when the "Dream" fired a few long time assistant M'Ville coaches the President did nothing (except smile for the cameras). Now thats loyalty!

In 2005 the M'Ville President ignored all advice and decided to honor Deans contract for another year (publicity & politics).  Did anyone see the alumni magazine for this year with multiple pictures of "Dean" and President Berman?  Were the alumni aware of the horrible situation taking place?  The alumni basketball players were.  This went over so well that several key players from the 2004 team transferred to other schools this year!

Why come forward now?  Well the rumor is that Dean "The Nightmare" has finally resigned and Pat Scanlon is the new head coach.  This move should of been made last year....Its not that us M'Ville fans don't feel bad for the former coaches past problems but he was hired for the wrong reasons and in the end it wasn't fair for the young men of the team nor was it fair for him.  He was used for his name by a man more interested in publicity and politics then in the student athletes.  Good Luck Pat!  Nice Job Berman!

L.A. Baller

This post by HoopsterMan is quite intriguing.  First of all it seems as if it came from somebody very close to the situation and might of even come from Pat Scanlon himself.  I say this because this post was posted on November 2 yet the official announcement from Manhattanville did not come until November 4 according to the website.  Scanlon might have been trying to politic for the job and felt this was the best way to get quick publicity.  Calling your boss a "Donkey" is not the way to go.  Neither is implying the athletic department or administration is inept in the hiring process because then what can be said of Scanlon's hire?  The writer of that post makes it seem as if Scanlon was interviewed initially for the position last summer when the job was available.  This was not the case as wasn't he hired as an assistant by Meminger?  Also as much bad things was said about Meminger's antics and actions and his relationship with the President it is not good to spill now old milk for everybody in this country to read.  It makes Manhattanville, President Berman, the Athletic Department, Coach Scanlon, and Meminger look all inept and awfully bad. Good luck to Manhattanville and Coach Scanlon.  Remember this is D3 basketball and the love and passion for the game comes first and that's what makes the basketball as incredible as it is.

HoopsterMan

My response: No I am not a "coach" from Manhattanvile, I am a parent of one of the players who transferred after the season. You weren't there, I was.  I saw first hand how President Berman was willing to ignore Deans antics simply so the school could continue to receive attention from ESPN, FOX and the others. I watched him spit on the gym floor, curse at the opposing players and throw chairs against the wall.  I heard him insult the players and the referees and I watched how the President turned his back on all of it.  I guess I am naive, I forgot that even at the D-3 college level, its all about the money.

Pat Coleman

L.A. Baller, how cynical of you. I think even a 23-year-old coach knows where to draw the line. Besides, politicing on the Skyline board is like campaigning for a Democrat in Wyoming. There's nobody there to listen, and if there were, they wouldn't care.

Coll. Insider

A long-time and first-rate college basketball web site http://www.collegeinsider.com" target=_top>www.collegeinsider.com will be covering Division II & Division III basketball this season.  The site will profile Division II & III coaches and programs.  The DII and DIII report will also provide news and notes and will be updated each week. The first article was written about Jack Bennett, head coach at UW-Stevens Point and will continue to promote some of the great work and people that make up Division II and III college basketball.  I hope the great fans of D3hoops.com will become fans of this terrific college basketball web site.

Privateer SID

Any life out there, I guess I'm spoiled being a former njac guy, I know there's got to be some people out there who want to talk about Skyline basketball. I'm sad I didn't get on here earlier, it's nice to see a post back in October about Maritime. We have lucked out with a legit coaching staff that's dedicated to making this program what is was back when they played. Although we have yet to win a game, we have played some of the best in the area including Army who were overwhelmed with the talent we had. Then we had the CUNY and Skyline Conference champs and almost beat Westbury in their home opener, then we should have beaten Farmingdale in OT, but we'll be sure to finish the job next time.  

Maritime has talent, they have dedication, and they finally have leadership from the bench that will take this team to new heights in the coming years.  

I think the Dolphins might still be the Bronx Bombers, as they love to go bombs away from downtown, sorry James. The Privateers are playing more athletic ball, and we're hungry, you can only keep someone in the basement for so long, it's time for our rebirth.

Pat Coleman

Good to see there's some acknowledgement that Maritime exists. Send some of your basketball fans our way so we can have more of a real conversation here. http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Privateer SID

Yea, once school starts up, I'm going to try and promote the site a bit, I might even put the logo on my game programs. Hopefully our site will be up again soon, so I can link up this site there.

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

Privateer SID, did you graduate from NJCU and when?  Send me an email, I might know you and you probably know me or recognize me.

Ira Thor, NJCU SID

Mike, not only is he an NJCU alum, he's a graduate of the NJCU Office of Sports Information.

Privateer SID

For all those intersted, Maritime won its first game today 89-78 against Centenary. I missed the game, but seems like it was a good one.

heatlee

Can anyone win at Centenary, this guy is 0-20 and will probably lose his next 3 and its not his fault that the college is in the middle of no place and costs an arm and a leg. Someone in athletics needs to do a better job of scheduling.