MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawks4

Recapping:

This game started out with Whitman shooters having great looking 3 point attempts go half way down and come out (Jack Stewart in particular had 3-4). Shots Whitman is happy with him taking all day everyday. It was like the rim have a lid over it. What should have been a tie game turned into a quick 15 pt deficit.

Then you had Nebraska Wesleyan just go nuts. Give them credit though. They were throwing darts over the smaller whitman players in the press. And then  they took advantage of the opportunities that they had. They got a layup or a wide-open three all night. Yes they were completely on fire, but you're also going to shoot a pretty high percentage when you're shooting a layup from 1 foot away from the rim or a wide-open three.   

I think the length of this Nebraska Wesleyan team had a lot to do with tonight's game.  Whitman missed a ton of early steals by an inch. I kept thinking they were just getting unlucky. Then it happened 10 more times. It was their length. Nebraska Weslyan didn't turn the ball over very much, Whitman really relies on this.

Isn't it crazy how Nebraska Wesleyan beat Platteville at the buzzer to get into the elite 8. Whitman beat Stevens Point by 10 and 13 this year, but it wasn't close at all. Platteville and Stevens point duked it out in the same conference.  And Nebraska Weslyan just puts a 30 point whipping on Whitman.

I honestly don't know what would happen if these two teams played 10 times. I would be curious

wildcat11

Congrats to Whitman on the great season.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: blackhawks4 on March 11, 2018, 12:30:20 AM
Recapping:

This game started out with Whitman shooters having great looking 3 point attempts go half way down and come out (Jack Stewart in particular had 3-4). Shots Whitman is happy with him taking all day everyday. It was like the rim have a lid over it. What should have been a tie game turned into a quick 15 pt deficit.

Then you had Nebraska Wesleyan just go nuts. Give them credit though. They were throwing darts over the smaller whitman players in the press. And then  they took advantage of the opportunities that they had. They got a layup or a wide-open three all night. Yes they were completely on fire, but you're also going to shoot a pretty high percentage when you're shooting a layup from 1 foot away from the rim or a wide-open three.   

I think the length of this Nebraska Wesleyan team had a lot to do with tonight's game.  Whitman missed a ton of early steals by an inch. I kept thinking they were just getting unlucky. Then it happened 10 more times. It was their length. Nebraska Weslyan didn't turn the ball over very much, Whitman really relies on this.

Isn't it crazy how Nebraska Wesleyan beat Platteville at the buzzer to get into the elite 8. Whitman beat Stevens Point by 10 and 13 this year, but it wasn't close at all. Platteville and Stevens point duked it out in the same conference.  And Nebraska Weslyan just puts a 30 point whipping on Whitman.

I honestly don't know what would happen if these two teams played 10 times. I would be curious

It is amazing how matchups can change games in ways hard to see on paper. That is one of the biggest reasons I am actually not a fan of point-spreads as an indication of a team's strength (or lack of strength). One game with different matchups throws everything out the window. Seen it far too many times.

I will say I would love to see them play a series, because I am not sure NWU could shoot that well every game. Not a knock on them, but not many teams can consistently shoot 68% from the floor. LOL

Good season by Whitman. They and several others next year come back fully loaded. May actually create an upper tier we haven't had in quite some time.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

D O.C.

QuoteThis game started out with Whitman shooters having great looking 3 point attempts go half way down and come out

So they missed a lot of threes.

QuoteWhitman missed a ton of early steals by an inch.

A miss is as good as a mile. So they weren't getting steals.

I did not watch the game.
Thanks for the follow-up,

(509)Rat

Probably Whitworth's best team had a game against Wooster in the elite 8 (on Wooster's home court) where they had shots like that. I know A Buc remembers. It was like Wooster had a string above the rim that a student in the rafters could pull on and yank the ball back up out of the net. Very frustrating, especially since 1-2 of those falling could have meant a trip to the final 4. Not sure if its any less painful when it happens in a 30 point loss.

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

Gregory Sager

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 12, 2018, 10:37:23 AM
Probably Whitworth's best team had a game against Wooster in the elite 8 (on Wooster's home court) where they had shots like that. I know A Buc remembers. It was like Wooster had a string above the rim that a student in the rafters could pull on and yank the ball back up out of the net. Very frustrating, especially since 1-2 of those falling could have meant a trip to the final 4. Not sure if its any less painful when it happens in a 30 point loss.

Perhaps it's no less painful, but it's a lot less relevant.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

I haven't been over here in awhile, so I'm sure it's been discussed...are Wiggins and Harrison returning next season for Whitman?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 13, 2018, 01:53:00 PM
I haven't been over here in awhile, so I'm sure it's been discussed...are Wiggins and Harrison returning next season for Whitman?

We haven't been told otherwise.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 13, 2018, 05:52:50 PM

That is what we have been told is the hope/plan.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 14, 2018, 02:05:06 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 13, 2018, 05:52:50 PM

That is what we have been told is the hope/plan.

They've been on the bench and with the team every time I've watch Whitman games this year.  I don't believe they were part of senior day (although I could be wrong).  I think they're planning to be back.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

AndOne

It seems that in the locker room at Platteville before the Whitman game, NWU Coach Dale Wellman wrote a message on the board;

To be the best, we have to beat the best.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

I always thought UPS played an up-tempo style, but apparently the coach just implemented the new system this past year.

http://www.loggerathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20180404rg28b0

It will be interesting if Coach Lunt will take that to Pacific and if UPS will continue with this new style.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

(509)Rat

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 19, 2018, 07:41:24 AM
I always thought UPS played an up-tempo style, but apparently the coach just implemented the new system this past year.

http://www.loggerathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20180404rg28b0

It will be interesting if Coach Lunt will take that to Pacific and if UPS will continue with this new style.

My guess is he does. He can't keep up with Whitworth and Whitman in terms of recruiting, so he found a gimmick to try and beat em with inferior talent. It had about the same effect in Tacoma as it does in Iowa, you give some teams trouble with worse players and beat some people you shouldn't but ultimately can't beat the big boys with any sort of consistency. He won't necessarily get better basketball players at Pacific so I don't see why he abandons it.