The Big Dance

Started by Falconer, November 06, 2017, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ejay

Quote from: franklyspeaking on November 15, 2017, 10:18:52 AM
Yes they do play with a chip on their shoulder.

As they should. They're undefeated and haven't received any respect all-year.  Yes, their schedule was not the strongest, but still... THEY NEVER LOST.  They beat Haverford, and 3 other teams who made the tournament last year. 

From the games I've seen, they're not dirty. That's not to say they won't bang bodies though. The 20 fouls against Lycoming (to their 23) was an above average number.

Against F&M it was 15-12 (Drew)
Against E-Town it was 15-13 (Drew)
Against Haverford it was 14-11 (Fords)
Against Muhlenberg it was 19-15 (Muhles)
Against Moravian it was 17-13 (Moravian)
Against NYU it was 11-10 (Drew)
Against TCNJ it was 10-7 (Drew)

If I had to guess, the majority of their fouls are by Imoh. He's a punk, but not representative of the entire team.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 15, 2017, 08:35:19 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 14, 2017, 08:30:18 PM
Shooter,

Seems like you were at the Lycoming v Drew game this past weekend....Give us some goods on Drew...Formation? How did they play Lycoming? Was Lycoming pressing them and how they deal with that? Who am I lookin at for their top players?

I watched the game online and was tuned in for its entirety. Lycoming had the better run of play for a majority of the game and the shots were 10-3 in the first half to Lycoming but they couldn't find the back of the net. Shots clearly favored Drew in the second half but many of those came from counter attacks after they scored when Lycoming was flying numbers forward to equalize. 12-4 advantage to Drew in shots in the second half but I would say 6 or 7 of those came in the final 15 minutes after the goal so that number is certainly deceiving.

It's hard to say they were ever dangerous unless they had a free kick or a corner kick. Lycoming had the ball for most of the game and Drew never got too dangerous in the run of play. They have 2 massive forwards but neither of them did much in this game and from what I can tell they didn't do anything in the previous game vs F&M either, according to the box score. They are both skillful no doubt but lack any kind of pace so they won't get in behind a defense and that was evident vs Lycoming. As for formation they play 3 in the back. At times it looked like a 3-5-2 and at times it looked like a 3-4-3 but always only 3 in the back. The 2 forwards never track defensively and they seemed to rely on the 3 CB's for all defensive purposes. This is why I think they can become exposed vs a good Brandeis team and allow multiple goals. Lycoming easily could have had 4 or 5 goals and that isn't counting the non-PK calls throughout. As for the GK he was small but not sure on an exact height but 5'9" seems accurate as mentioned in a different post. He wasn't impressive but wasn't poor by any means. He made a couple quality saves when called upon.

Drew seemed frustrated throughout since they couldn't get going offensively but survived every attack Lycoming managed. Lycoming was able to turn them over and attack down the flanks successfully. As for top players no one really stood out. The 2 forwards will make you take notice with their size and skill but like I said neither of them ever got dangerous in the run of play. Although they do try and connect 1 touch through the middle but weren't successful with it. The one forward seemed to be the hot head on the team. I was impressed with whatever kid had the cast on his arm defensively. He seemed to be a ball winner despite his lack of size.

EB gives a more detailed description which seems fair although I was not as impressed with the 2 forwards as others have been I guess. Brandeis should be able to pick them apart but if they go down at any point it will be difficult to mount a comeback as seen in the last game.     

It is a straight up 3-5-2 from what I watched.

Mr.Right

Quote from: EB2319 on November 14, 2017, 09:37:36 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 14, 2017, 08:30:18 PM
Shooter,

Seems like you were at the Lycoming v Drew game this past weekend....Give us some goods on Drew...Formation? How did they play Lycoming? Was Lycoming pressing them and how they deal with that? Who am I lookin at for their top players?

I posted this after their Landmark Championship...

Made the 45 minute drive to Madison to watch Drew vs. E-Town in the Landmark Championship.  I've seen them a few times via stream and wasn't super impressed, but seeing them in person today I get the feeling they are legit. At 19-0-1, they are certainly capable of making a very deep run in the tournament.  Yes I know their SOS isn't as impressive as others, but until someone demonstrates they can beat Drew, they are an elite 8, if not final 4, contender in my eyes.

While the stats may indicate today was a fairly close game, honestly there was never a doubt that Drew was going to win. Obviously they benefited from playing an only slightly-above-average E-Town team, but they have some serious talent. What's scary is they are loaded with underclassman having started only 2 seniors!

Forwards: Imoh and Cserhat, both sophomores, are extremely dangerous. Cserhat has an incredibly soft touch for someone that's 6'5.  He's not just a big body, but has skill and finesse. Simply put, he's hard to defend. He scored two today to bring his season total to 20. Imoh showed today why we was conference ROY last season and a Regional All-American.  He had two assists to bring his season numbers to 10g, 9a.  At 6'2, 200lbs, he's a beast who you cannot knock off the ball.  Although not overly speedy, he's still deceptively fast and has very good foot skills. He's as good, if not better, than Wasso from E-Town.   My only knock on Cserhat and Imoh is they are both lazy on D, don't track back, and are content to take their time getting back onside, thereby negating Drew's ability to play quickly forward after a MF turnover.

Midfielder: Martinez pulls the strings.  He too is a big body at 6'2, 195.  He plays as a holding MF, rarely taking more than 2 touches. He has great vision and is capable of making a crisp 40 yard pass.  Defensively he keeps it simple, tackling when necessary but usually just clogging the passing/dribbling lanes.  Audi, Kwak and Correra were extremely effective and have good motors - definitely the workhorses on the team. 

Defense: 3 in the back.  The elder Cserhat, at 6'3 is a fine CB.  Thought he took some unnecessary chances, but overall was pretty solid. Rodriguez at 6'1, 195 uses his size to his advantage and didn't really get beat. Goncalves is smaller but obviously quicker.  Both he and Rodriguez play simple and smart - rarely taking chances and are happy to play through Martinez or up top to Imoh and Cserhat. 

Keeper: Adamo wasn't really tested so it's hard to say what he's got.  Listed at 5'9" so that can certainly be a challenge. 

Subs: Drew went about 6 deep with any significant playing time - again mostly fresh/soph. In fact, their starting unit in the second half featured 4-5 bench players and they scored within the first 45 seconds.

Drew was incredibly impressive in the first half, less so in the second, but that could be because they were up 3-0 and had the bench getting a lot of minutes. In my opinion, this is not a team you want to play.  They have the size to play physically, and the skill to play pretty.  Imoh/Cserhat have to be one of the best 1-2 forward combinations in the country and either of them can beat you so you can't just focus on shutting down one of them.  I'd love to see a better work rate from them but maybe that's just me.

Now don't get me wrong, they are beatable, but I don't see it being 0-1. I can see losing 2-3 in OT, or perhaps PK's, but they will certainly be an interesting team to follow through the tournament.   

Thank you EB2319 / Mid-Atlantic / Shooter...All Very Well Done..+k...Like I said in the few highlights I have seen they look dangerous.

Mr.Right

Another Interesting Stat....

UR was 4-2-1 in the UAA but they had 4 Shutouts in those wins. When they did concede in those 3 other games they were giving up goals at an impressive rate..3 to Emory, 4 to Chicago and 1 to CMU.

Falconer

Quote from: rudy on November 15, 2017, 12:21:13 PM
For Messiah's quadrant this weekend.  Previews of the teams will be up soon I expect..

http://gomessiah.com/sports/2017/11/13/MS111316-20161st2nd.aspx?id=311

Are you planning to be there, Rudy? I will probably spend the whole day in the stands, soaking in the magnificent cloud cover and drizzle, unless it just pours. I might have seen you at the Lyco game--were you perhaps sitting with another son who looks a lot like Shay?

rudy

Quote from: Falconer on November 17, 2017, 12:44:17 PM
For Messiah's quadrant this weekend.  Previews of the teams will be up soon I expect..

Are you planning to be there, Rudy? I will probably spend the whole day in the stands, soaking in the magnificent cloud cover and drizzle, unless it just pours. I might have seen you at the Lyco game--were you perhaps sitting with another son who looks a lot like Shay?

Hi falconer. I was not at Lyco game. Only went to one game to this year in September..cant even remember the  team. I was going to go down this weekend but not sure we'll make it Saturday. If they win Saturday may head there for Sunday game....no rain Sunday! Hope the rain is minimal for Saturday games or the field will be mud by Sunday.  Are you an alumni, former player, or parent of former player? My other son is at college in Florida..not playing sports..guess he had his thrill in HS and couldn't match the team he played for in his junior year. Hope to meet up with you if you are there Sunday

Dave B

Quote from: rudy on November 17, 2017, 01:16:11 PM
Quote from: Falconer on November 17, 2017, 12:44:17 PM

Hi falconer. I was not at Lyco game. Only went to one game to this year in September..cant even remember the  team. I was going to go down this weekend but not sure we'll make it Saturday. If they win Saturday may head there for Sunday game....no rain Sunday! Hope the rain is minimal for Saturday games or the field will be mud by Sunday.  Are you an alumni, former player, or parent of former player? My other son is at college in Florida..not playing sports..guess he had his thrill in HS and couldn't match the team he played for in his junior year. Hope to meet up with you if you are there Sunday

I'll be there on both days (should Messiah take care of business on Sat.).  It would be great to meet up with both of you (and any other forum members who might be there).

Falconer, it's possible that I'm the one you saw at the Lyco game.  I was by there by myself (wife was working and BIL didn't go due to the rain).  Midway through the first half, a young man came up and sat beside me.  When the rain picked back up, I offered to share my umbrella.  It turns out that he is a 2nd semester H.S. senior (Carlisle) and will be coming to Messiah in the spring and joining the team as a GK.  His name is Jared Pavlovich and could definitely pass as Shay Quinton's brother.  He seemed like a really nice kid and it was fun to hear his perspective on the game.  Here's a video I found of him and some teammates taken before their season started.   http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/-4779733317751309297/carlisle-boys-soccer-has-a-great-group-in-2017/

Falconer

Are you an alumni, former player, or parent of former player?

None of the above, actually. Just a longtime Falcon fan, who was drawn into soccer by the beautiful way they play it. I go to as many games as I can, but I am often out of town on business or to visit family so I miss more than my share. I'm glad this particular weekend actually works out favorably.   :)

Falconer

Quote from: Dave B on November 17, 2017, 01:44:48 PM

I'll be there on both days (should Messiah take care of business on Sat.).  It would be great to meet up with both of you (and any other forum members who might be there).

Falconer, it's possible that I'm the one you saw at the Lyco game.  I was by there by myself (wife was working and BIL didn't go due to the rain).  Midway through the first half, a young man came up and sat beside me.  When the rain picked back up, I offered to share my umbrella.  It turns out that he is a 2nd semester H.S. senior (Carlisle) and will be coming to Messiah in the spring and joining the team as a GK.  His name is Jared Pavlovich and could definitely pass as Shay Quinton's brother. 

That might be right, Dave B. I noticed that young man somewhere after halftime, I think, when I stood up to rearrange my wet stuff and had a look around the stands. Thanks for the tip about an incoming player. I like to track that sort of information, but since I'm not close to the team it's not easy to obtain. The best source is usually parents of current players, and sometimes I'll talk to them at games--many of them attend regularly, but they don't often know many specifics about the incoming group. Now, I can put a name on just two of next year's class. I did hear that one was a GK, and you've confirmed it for me.

rudy

Quote from: Falconer on November 17, 2017, 01:56:46 PM
Are you an alumni, former player, or parent of former player?

None of the above, actually. Just a longtime Falcon fan, who was drawn into soccer by the beautiful way they play it. I go to as many games as I can, but I am often out of town on business or to visit family so I miss more than my share. I'm glad this particular weekend actually works out favorably.   :)

If I were local I'd do the same. Enjoy the games! It's great how they fill the place with thousands of fans... classmates, local community, alumni. The atmosphere is amazing.

Saint of Old

Yes indeed.
Played the crusaders in the dance once, and they have a great environment to get the best out of their team, really the atmosphere all soccer players love to be in whether home or away.

Flying Weasel

Settling in to watch the Men's Finalerrr, I mean, the Central Sectional semifinal.

blooter442

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I get home at 6:09 and it's 2-0. I figured this one would be a slow burner. >:(

And now a lightning delay, 10 seconds after I tune in! Wow. Rotten luck or... #BlootsConspiracy

Dave B

Quote from: blooter442 on November 17, 2017, 06:11:32 PM
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I get home at 6:09 and it's 2-0. I figured this one would be a slow burner. >:(

And now a lightning delay, 10 seconds after I tune in! Wow. Rotten luck or... #BlootsConspiracy

Same here.  I tuned in just as the 2nd goal was being scored.  Wow! 

blooter442

Just saw the goals. Props to Adeyosun for having the chutzpah to try that near-post power shot, it would have been predictable for him to go low far corner but well done to him. Lopez's goal, couldn't tell if it was deflected or the 'keeper misjudged but Calvin won't like to watch that one (either of them, actually) again.