MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spwood

I see Plattsburgh received a vote in this week's D3hoops.com Top 25!  I assume that's their first mention of this year...

magicman

Quote from: spwood on January 23, 2018, 11:40:29 AM
I see Plattsburgh received a vote in this week's D3hoops.com Top 25!  I assume that's their first mention of this year...

They were listed in the preseason poll on November 1st  and received 7 points in the others receiving votes category. Then they promptly lost their first two games and never got another vote until this week.

What the voters didn't know and may now be finding out is that the best player on Plattsburgh's team, (2nd team All Conference last year as a sophmore) Jon Patron (20 ppg and 10 rpg last year) only had 1 and 1/2 years of eligibility left in his final two years of college. He sat out the first semester this year, his junior year, so he could have a full season next year, his senior season. Since he has returned on December 30th the Cardinals have won all seven games he played in and 8 straight overall. He won back to back SUNYAC Player of the Week awards his first 4 games back and is now the leading scorer and rebounder in the conference with 22.3 ppg and 10.5 rpg. He is a difference maker and makes everyone around him better as well, when the other team has to focus on him so much.     

magicman

Congratulations to Nicky Bonura from Cortland who was selected as the SUNYAC PLayer of the Week for the week ending January 21st.  I inadvertently had omitted Nicky from my list of weekly contenders the other day but he clearly should have been on it. 8 threes over the two games he played in, is good stuff.  Here is the writeup from the SUNYAC website.

"Nicky Bonura, MBB, Cortland, AOTW
Jan 22, 2018
Bonura averaged 17.5 points per game and shot 59 percent from the floor (13-for-22) in two Cortland victories. He was 8-of-16 from 3-point range and also averaged four rebounds per contest. The junior guard scored 14 points, including 4-of-9 3-point shooting, in an 80-64 win versus Oneonta Tuesday. He scored 21 points, 18 in the first half, and was 4-of-7 from the 3-point arc in a 68-59 win at Oswego Saturday. Bonura helped lead the Red Dragons to an overall record of 14-3."

amh63

Lots of chatter and post of SUNY Purchase win over Wesleyan Un. Of the Nescac yesterday by a last sec three point shot.  Purchase's team ran into the stands as seen in a video.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: amh63 on January 23, 2018, 03:55:42 PM
Lots of chatter and post of SUNY Purchase win over Wesleyan Un. Of the Nescac yesterday by a last sec three point shot.  Purchase's team ran into the stands as seen in a video.

It is a cool sequence and cool video, but SUNY Purchase is in the Skyline Conference. (However, you probably would get more discussion here than there.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AllStar

Standings update going into this weekend's conference games.

magicman

Thanks for the update AllStar.  Real happy to see that color of Cardinal Red at the top. Hope it stays that way through the end of February. Could you talk to the guys at Keene State and see if we can have a rematch...we'd even play it in their house. ;D

magicman

Off to take a trip to New Paltz and Oneonta to see the Cardinals play their final 2 road games of the season. Will get a chance to see a college fraternity brother I haven't seen in 48 years as well. Should be an exciting weekend.

Here are some quick picks for this weekend's games.

Friday Jan. 26th   Four games on tap all at 7:30 PM

Potsdam State  at  Oneonta State        7:30 PM

These Red Dragons should handle the young Bears and are favored b y 11 points. Oneonta 84 Potsdam 75

Oswego State  at  Geneseo State        7:30 PM

The Knights are favored by 4 points and after seeing them play last weekend I think they should prevail in this one. Geneseo 77 Oswego 72

Cortland State  at  Brockport State        7:30 PM  Featured Game of the Day

Would love to see the Golden Eagles knock off these Red Dragons and with the game in Brockport this is their best chance. I think Cortland has the edge in experience and will be a slim winner over Port. Cortland won both matchups last year and returns most of that talent. Cortland is favored by 2 points and I think they win it by an 82-77 final score.

Plattsburgh State  at  New Paltz State        7:30 PM

The Cardinals are hot and are favored by 11 points. I think they win by 20. Plattsburgh 88 New Paltz 68

Saturday Jan. 27th    All ten teams in action in 5 conference games.    

Fredonia State  at    Buffalo State        3:00 PM

The Bengals have been struggling and the Blue Devils are still seeking their first conference win. Something has to give and I'm guessing the Bengals break their losing streak here. They are favored by 8 points and I think they cover the spread. Buffalo State 81 Fredonia 72.

Plattsburgh State  at  Oneonta State        3:00 PM

These two coaches are quite familiar with each other and the Red Dragons' Coach Conover is still looking for his first win over his former mentor.  The Cardinals won both games last year and are slim 2 point favorites in this game. I think they win by a few more.  Plattsburgh 90 Oneonta 80.

Oswego State  at  Brockport State        3:00 PM

The Lakers can't afford an 0-2 weekend but neither can Brockport. I think the Golden Eagles, favored by 7 points will prevail in this one. Brockport 78 Oswego 68

Potsdam State  at  New Paltz State        3:00 PM

The Bears are hoping to make a playoff run this weekend but I think they come up a little short. They needed to win both games and could be hard pressed to win 1. New Paltz is favored by 5 points but I'm picking the Bears to pull off a mild upset here. Potsdam State 77 New Paltz 73

Cortland State  at  Geneseo State         3:00 PM Featured Game of the Day

The Knights would love to climb into a higher playoff position so they could host a first round game. A 2-0 weekend would go a long way in helping that happen but I don't think the Cortland squad will let that happen. The Red Dragons are favored by 6 points. I think they win by a few more....Cortland 80 Geneseo 72

AllStar

Quote from: magicman on January 25, 2018, 07:34:25 PM
Thanks for the update AllStar.  Real happy to see that color of Cardinal Red at the top. Hope it stays that way through the end of February. Could you talk to the guys at Keene State and see if we can have a rematch...we'd even play it in their house. ;D

Ha.  Do I have that kind of pull?  Well, hopefully the theoretical rematch would be a good game  ;D

Your Cardinals seem to be playing very good basketball right now!  And as we've mentioned, they have a good stretch of home games coming up, too!  I'd love to see Keene red at the top of the Little East too...but that's not the case right now. Maybe it will change, we'll see.  The first East Conn game was disappointing...they started great but just did not sustain it at all.  KSC has some pretty good wins so far this year, but needs to continue winning ones they should and maybe even one or two others.  They have big games looming against Middlebury and at East Conn...but can't look past anyone else.  Hopefully they show well and can add to their resume.  I think their SOS is pretty good.  Hopefully we can see both of our red teams playing in March!   :)

magicman

Friday's final scores posted from a motel in Poughkeepsie at  6:20 AM Saturday morning:

Plattsburgh State 100   New Paltz State 71

Cortland State  85       Brockport State 84

Oneonta State  77   Potsdam State 67

Oswego State  72     Geneseo State  70 

magicman

Jan. 30  Six teams in action tonight with two games against non-conference teams and two games in the YAC.

Only time for some quick picks

SUNY-Canton at  Plattsburgh State        7:00 PM

The Cardinals are big favorites over the Kangaroos as the oddsmakers have them listed as 27 point favorites. I think the Cardinals will empty their bench early in this one and may not cover that spread. Then again....Cardinals 94 Canton 64.

Williams  at  Oneonta State        7:00 PM

The Ephs are ranked at #13 in the D3hoops Top 25. They are listed as 9 point favorites in this one and they are one of the top teams in the NESCAC conference this year. I think the Red Dragons are up against it, in this one, but would love to see an upset.  Williams 82 Oneonta 70.

Brockport State at  Fredonia State     7:30 PM

The Golden Eagles should take care of business here but could run into a problem. Listed as 13 point favorites they struggled against the Blue Devils last time and only won by a slim 71-69 margin and had to stage a big comeback to do so after being down 24 at the half. I think they focus a bit more this time out. Brockport 79 Fredonia 65.

Geneseo State vs  Buffalo State        7:30 PM

Two teams headed in different directions. Geneseo fighting for a home playoff game...the Bengals fighting to stay out of the cellar. Losers of 6 straight conference games, it's hard for me to pick the Bengals in this one. Oddsmakers have the Knights favored by 8 points. I think it might be a little closer but still a Geneeo win.  Geneseo 81 Buff State 76. 

magicman

So much to catch up on and so little time to do it. Maybe after this weekend's games.

Just a few points to make that should be mentioned.

Jon Patron scored his 1000th career point last weekend at New Paltz and I was there to watch it happen. Jon has an outside chance to break the all time Plattsburgh State scoring record currently held by Anthony Williams of 1734 points. The Cardinals will need to make the SUNYAC playoffs this year and next year and play at least 2 games in the tournament  in one of those years. They also need to make the NCAA tournament each season or at least 1 season and play 2 NCAA games. The bottom line is Jon needs to average 20 points a game and play in at least 35 games between now and the end of his senior year and he could have the record. It's a tall order but it's entirely possible he could do it.

Got to see the above mentioned Anthony Williams over the weekend as he, Danny Tangney and RJ Ponesse,  three guys from the great team of 2007-08, that ran the conference regular season, playoffs and made the Sweet 16 took the trip up to Oneonta to see the Cardinals in action. Anthony made sure to remind me that his 1734 points were scored in only 3 years, otherwise he might have set a record that would never be broken. ;D  Always good to see some of my guys from past Cardinal teams. Hope to see them again if the Cardinals get to host some tournament games.

Eli Bryant is also on pace to score his 1000th career point in the near future. The Cardinal's clutch sharpshooter has 942 points in his 3 year career and will undoubtedly crack the 1000 point barrier in the next 3 to 5 games.       

magicman

For the third time in the past 4 weeks Jon Patron has been selected as the SUNYAC Player of the Week. Once again the Cardinals had a perfect 3-0 week with Jon leading the way. The Cardinals have yet to lose a game with Jon in the lineup.   Congratulations once again to Jon for his outstanding play. Here is the writeup from the SUNYAC website:

"Jonathan Patron, MBB, AOW, Plattsburgh
Jan 29, 2018 
Patron assisted Plattsburgh to a tri-SUNYAC sweep, including their fourth weekend in a row of sweeping conference teams. On Tuesday the junior double-doubled with 17 points and 11 rebounds to help the Cardinals to a 99-55 win over SUNY Potsdam. The Cardinal forward double-doubled in Plattsburgh States 100-71 victory over New Paltz on Friday with 24 points and 11 rebounds and also scored his 1000th point of his collegiate career. On Saturday, Patron put up 19 points and picked up seven rebounds in the Cardinals 97-60 win over Oneonta. The Cardinals are on an 11 game win streak and Patron has had a large part in every game."

magicman

Plattsburgh State has moved into sole possession of first place in the conference by virtue of their 12 game overall winning streak, currently the third longest streak in the nation. They have won 11 straight conference games and with the Geneso upset of Cortland last Saturday, Plattsburgh holds a one and a half game edge on those Red Dragons. The big game of the week will be in Memorial Hall this Saturday at 3:00 PM when Cortland invades the Plattsburgh campus and seeks a bit of revenge on the loss the Cardinals gave them on January 12th in Cortland. Lots of basketball to be played yet and nothing really has been decided as to who will wear the regular season crown and get to host the Final Four of the YAC tournament. I'm sure the Bropckport players still have hopes of attaining that prize as well.

It does look like the threesome of Plattsburgh, Cortland and Brockport will be the teams in the mix to host the Conference championship. Just about everyone else has too many losses to contend.

I also think the current  teams that are in the top 6 places at the present time, the three teams mentioned above along with Geneseo, Oneonta and Oswego  will be the teams in the playoffs. Fredonia and Buffalo State are virtually eliminated. Potsdam and New Paltz would need to win out and have some things go their way to make the top 6 and I just don't see that happening. The only questions other than who will host the championship, is who will get the other first round bye and who will host the first round of the playoff games.