MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: WestCoastWhiner on January 06, 2006, 06:06:38 PM
I will GS, good points.  But can you get Oxy some love in the next votes for Top 20?  They were #4 and although there is probably merit to what you said about their region, Amherst is a very good team capable of going on another deep tourney run.  Can't the One L to the NAIA D1 runner up and current #2 team and the Whitworth/Amherst wins get us back on the list?  Folks are voting Hanover in there with 4 losses and 2 other teams have 3 losses.  We understand that we don't play many games against other D3 teams so it is hard for the rest of the country to gauge us.  But how about some love? 

How about you wait for the poll to come out before you complain about it? I would say it's likely Occidental will be in the Top 25, which is pretty good for a team that basically only played Pacific Union (twice), La Sierra (twice) and West Coast Baptist up until the day after the last vote.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

David Collinge

I guess that means Pomona-Pitzer and CMS have to be ranked too, since they're as good or better than Oxy, per WCW.  Gonna be a historic week for the SCIAC!  :)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: David Collinge on January 06, 2006, 10:39:28 PM
I guess that means Pomona-Pitzer and CMS have to be ranked too, since they're as good or better than Oxy, per WCW.  Gonna be a historic week for the SCIAC!  :)

Now, now, David - remember that you are not living in Ohio anymore!

Your weather may be warmer, but your new 'cohorts' may be colder! ;D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 06, 2006, 10:30:48 PMHow about you wait for the poll to come out before you complain about it? I would say it's likely Occidental will be in the Top 25, which is pretty good for a team that basically only played Pacific Union (twice), La Sierra (twice) and West Coast Baptist up until the day after the last vote.

You really think that Oxy is going to crack the Top 25, Pat? That means leapfrogging a lot of teams. More importantly, it means that there has to be a certain number of spaces opening up at the bottom of the Top 25, and it's hard to see many possibilities for that. First of all, North Central gets first dibs on a Top 25 space ahead of Oxy, because the Cards are undefeated and just beat #1 Illinois Wesleyan on the Titans' home floor (this assumes that the Cards win at Aurora tonight, of course). Second, what teams are going to fall out of the Top 25? Ohio Northern and tonight's Hanover/Bluffton loser are the only two certainties that I can see, with St. John Fisher the only team in the bottom five playing tonight that has a real chance at an upset loss (@ Hartwick), although I can see Elmhurst plummeting out of the Top 25 from the #16 spot if they lose their second game this week at Augie tonight.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

I gotta believe #16 Elmhurst is out, Greg.  The voters have been appropriately patient with the 'jays after the losses @ #6 Hope, @ UW-Platteville, and  @ #5 Albion, but with a home loss to unranked Millikin Wednesday, I just can't see many voters sticking with them.  Of course, EC does play @ #13 Augustana tonight...if they win that one, they'd have to weigh "great win" vs "bad loss."

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on January 07, 2006, 10:04:40 AM
I gotta believe #16 Elmhurst is out, Greg.  The voters have been appropriately patient with the 'jays after the losses @ #6 Hope, @ UW-Platteville, and  @ #5 Albion, but with a home loss to unranked Millikin Wednesday, I just can't see many voters sticking with them.  Of course, EC does play @ #13 Augustana tonight...if they win that one, they'd have to weigh "great win" vs "bad loss."

I agree, on the condition that Elmhurst loses tonight. If they beat Augie on the road tonight, I think that that cancels out the home loss to Millikin in the minds of the voters.

Any way you look at it, though, it's hard to envision more than three teams dropping out of the Top 25. North Central is a shoo-in for one of those three spots. Not that I'm entirely disagreeing with him at this point, but I'd like to read Pat's explanation as to why he thinks Occidental is going to get one of those two (at most) other spots.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

It's a long day today, I think other things can happen that would affect Top 25 spaces. For example, Lincoln just lost to Lebanon Valley on a neutral floor, which could yo-yo them out. Rochester's loss last night will drop them off some people's ballots, though not necessarily out of the Top 25 entirely. Catholic lost this week, as did Ramapo, which will cost them some of their votes.

The key facet will be whether the voters see this as more a function of Occidental being underrated or Amherst being overrated. There are facets of both, in my opinion, of course.

One other team that needs to be made room for, potentially, is Wilmington. There might be enough upheaval this week to prompt some voters to re-evaluate their ballot entirely.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Pat,

I gotta type faster - you beat me to the punch!

#21 Lincoln's loss will presumably open up another slot in the top 25.

Gregory Sager

Yup ... but as Pat mentioned, 12-1 Wilmington has knocked off two ranked teams in the past week, Ohio Northern and Baldwin-Wallace. Given the strength of the OAC, I gotta think that the voters are going to take a serious look at giving the Quakers some love in the next poll. And 11-0 NYU may duplicate that feat tomorrow with a home win over #19 Carnegie-Mellon, following on the heels of their victory over #18 Rochester last night.

In other words, Oxy's not the only team under the radar that's been burnishing their credentials this week.

dewcrew88

In this week's Sports Illustrated, there is a great column by Rick Reilly about Caltech... they haven't won a SCIAC game in 21 years? Wow. :o

OXY Oswald

Quote from: budcrew08 on January 07, 2006, 09:15:48 PM
In this week's Sports Illustrated, there is a great column by Rick Reilly about Caltech... they haven't won a SCIAC game in 21 years? Wow. :o
Wow is right, I had no idea their streak of mediocrity was that impressive.  Seems like their due, perhaps I'll reconsider my affiliation and root for Cal Tech this year  ???

Looks like I'm in for a long season...  :-\
Go TIGERS!!!

Tough days for Tiger Football.

Pat Coleman

OXY Oswald

Oh no Pat, it's the right term.

Mediocrity

n 1: ordinariness as a consequence of being average and not outstanding [syn: averageness] 2: a person of second-rate ability or value
3: Cal Tech Athletics
Go TIGERS!!!

Pat Coleman

There is hardly anything ordinary about that performance.

OXY Oswald

Go TIGERS!!!