MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj_hyphen

Quote from: artestes on January 25, 2006, 10:49:08 PM
Turner should just transfer to Cal Tech so he can get the number of shots up that he deserves.

It's a good thing coach kats played Turner as a freshman above me as a senior. That seems to have  paid big dividends for everyone... i'm not bitter or anything

:D ahahhaha...word.

PP beat CLU in a close one last night, so i think they're one game back behind Oxy

scandihoovian

Hyphen-
Can you (or anyone who was there) give a quick rundown on last night's CLU-PP game?  Was it close the whole way?  The young Kingsmen continue to play tough - historically Cal Lu has a tough time at PP.  I'm looking forward to the Hens' final visit to their favorite gym in the SCIAC. ;D

Tigersports-
I caught the last part of your broadcast last night - you guys do a nice job.  Sounds like a good game with a great atmosphere.  I agree with OxyBob, Oxy will have a challenge on their hands at CMS.  Is it too early to start the "will we get two teams in if they are both 13-1" discussion?

WestCoastWhiner

Artestes, ROTFLMAO.

SCIAC has another interesting race.  CMS wasn't giving up their place on the mantle easily.  Oxy grinding out a close win is testimony to their evolution.  Historically the Big 3 win those games.  Kudos to the Tigers for trying to be poor students of history and for getting the SCIAC national recognition in both football & hoops.  Newhall and his staff have done a great job this year.  Thanks guys. 

Having said that, my prediction stands.  PP will come out on top.  Kats and his boys will come in hungry this weekend.  They will be even better prepared for Oxy than CMS.  Listening to the last 4 minutes last night Oxy played NOT to lose.  If CMS can glove Betty, PP certainly can.   Remember, PP still has the best guard, my prediction for MVP Wex-Bar, the second most talented athlete after Betty in Lloyd, a shooter and a solid big guy down low.  Plus, PP will expect to win.   

My guess is that Oxy's tentativeness displayed at the end of the CMS game carries over into Saturday and we have a 3 way tie for first heading into next week.  Crowd & defense will make it close but Knowles & WB will get 35 points between them.  Would certainly make for an interesting second half.

"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

dj_hyphen

^^you really think Betty is a better athlete than Lloyd?  I'm gonna have to disagree on that one man

Scandihoovian, I didn't see the PP/CLU game, but apparently it was a hard fought, physical game throughout...and PP just made the plays down the stretch to win it.  CLU made their living from 3, hitting like 12 of them to stay in the game

old_hooper

The CLU-PP game was a close one all the way through.  CLU had the lead most of the game but the Sagehens had a nice little run with about 5 minutes left on some CLU TOs that put them up by 5.  Knowles got a steal and could have easily laid it up but pulled and nailed a 3.  That seem to be the momentum turner in the game and CLU played catchup the rest of the way.  A questionable call on another TO by CLU at the end that looked like it should have been a jump ball with about 12 seconds left and PP was awarded a timeout and the ball.  Good game by CLU that had PP on the edge of their seat all night.

sciacguru

Actually there were 3 questionable calls down the stretch.  With a loose ball under CLU's basket being awarded to Pomona when it was clearly off Beron......LLoyd getting away with a push on a missed Hollo FT and putting it back.....then the jump ball/time out (where 2 of the 3 refs called it a jump).

Granted immediately after the Lloyd push....I think the ref gave CLU a makeup call when Beron blocked a shot, but called it a foul and they made 2 FTs after it.  But going back to the fan issue....after the block all 20 PP fans...yelled B***S****!!!! And the CLU fans were called crass?!?!?!

But I do believe that the CLU youth was served as they couldnt get that key stop down the stretch.  But they will be good.  Their 6'7 freshman center is big and athletic, and their guard play with the 2 sophs (Iniss/Arciboni) is very solid.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: scandihoovian on January 26, 2006, 11:41:19 AM
Is it too early to start the "will we get two teams in if they are both 13-1" discussion?

Always too early to start that discussion, considering the conference schedule is only part of the season.

13-1 is irrelevant. Regional record is.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

dj_hyphen

Quote from: sciacguru on January 27, 2006, 12:02:34 AM
But going back to the fan issue....after the block all 20 PP fans...yelled B***S****!!!! And the CLU fans were called crass?!?!?!

eh, this chant is completely normal and accepted these days.  I hear it bleed through the mics every game that's broadcast on ESPN or FSN.  I'm not saying it's "classy," but it's so standard now that it's not a big deal to me

besides, who ever claimed PP fans were classy?  The best atmosphere in SCIAC is unquestionably the CMC/PP games at Ducey...which includes non-classy behavior from fans (and parents) on both sides.  To quote Stephen A...Quite frankly, it's a beautiful thing.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: dj_hyphen on January 27, 2006, 04:51:26 AMeh, this chant is completely normal and accepted these days. 

I can think of more than a few campuses where it is considered neither normal nor acceptable. I've seen it chanted with no repercussions suffered by the students who were doing it -- but I've also seen students thrown out of the gym for chanting it.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

dj_hyphen

well, at the D1 level, it's completely standard.  At the D3 level, I expect officials would have a tough time if more than say 15 people were doing it...if it's a handful, I can see them being asked to leave if they don't stop after a warning or two.  You'd have to be pretty belligerent to get tossed from a SCIAC game...at worst, some school official might come over and try to get the crowd to stop...but again, that's only if it's a handful of people.  If you have 15+, I doubt anyone would do anything for the BS chant...maybe the SCIAC's more liberal than some of the leagues you're more familiar with

Gregory Sager

Quote from: dj_hyphen on January 27, 2006, 09:33:25 AM
well, at the D1 level, it's completely standard.  At the D3 level, I expect officials would have a tough time if more than say 15 people were doing it...if it's a handful, I can see them being asked to leave if they don't stop after a warning or two.  You'd have to be pretty belligerent to get tossed from a SCIAC game...at worst, some school official might come over and try to get the crowd to stop...but again, that's only if it's a handful of people.  If you have 15+, I doubt anyone would do anything for the BS chant...maybe the SCIAC's more liberal than some of the leagues you're more familiar with

Yeah, it could be a cultural thing. Most of the midwestern D3 schools are small-town institutions, and a lot of the games promote a family atmosphere. Lots of impressionable small kids everywhere, lots of older people, and lots of administrators nervously standing in the doorways wondering if the students are going to get out of hand. Plus, the more religiously-oriented schools would never stand for the barnyard epithet chant even if a hundred visiting students were doing it. Even the schools whose religious affiliations are nominal take great pains to present themselves as models of institutional decorum. In the gyms of several midwestern leagues (in particular the league with which I'm most familiar, the CCIW), the league and/or NCAA code of fan conduct is either read aloud before a game or printed in the game program.

D1 schools are irrelevant to this issue. Theirs is a completely different culture.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

pomonaalum

With few exceptions, SCIAC games are not "family affairs" - there is little to no support from the communities.  The reasons for this are varied and numerous...What fans are there are made up of students, faculty/staff, and some parents of players.  That's about it.  Few small kids, etc.

Not a value judgment, just a statement of fact.

dj_hyphen

Quote from: OxyBob on January 27, 2006, 12:08:00 PM
(and I believe at all SCIAC gyms)

nope, not at all

also, being a dj, i always paid attention to the music the schools played during the games (hip-hop obviously...aside from the painfully out of place rock at CMC)...and I definitely remember numerous times Oxy didn't use clean edits.  Personally, i couldn't care less...but if they're so concerned about promoting a family atmosphere, someone might want to remember to grab the radio edits

although generally speaking, officials, staff, parents, etc. (aka old white people) struggle to hear anything but the most obvious explicit lyrics...so it's fairly moot

tigersports

Thanks for the compliment, Scandi.  We enjoy doing the games.    As for the comments from DJ Hyphen, as a guy that listened to indie rock and psychedelia back in my college days (and still do, though the indies I listen to were indies back then and crust old white guys now), I must say I just don't get the hip-hop thing.  Is this really what the majority of college kids listen to?  Man, what happened to going to some dive club on Sunset and checking out some obscure band from Austin or Phoenix or something.  (I guess that officially makes me a 40 year-old white guy).   Bottom line, though I don't offend easily, I really don't want to hear n----r or m----th---r while I'm getting ready for the game.

scandihoovian

Thanks for all the insight on the CLU-PP game everyone.  Like I said, I'm already looking forward to the rematch.

I know this is unrelated to basketball, but might be of interest to some of the people on this board who are fans of Sparky Anderson and  Ernie Harwell.  CLU's dedicating it's new baseball field tomorrow, here's a link to the article:

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/co_valley/article/0,1375,VCS_166_4420308,00.html