MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OXY Oswald

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 27, 2006, 09:28:10 AM
I can think of more than a few campuses where it is considered neither normal nor acceptable. I've seen it chanted with no repercussions suffered by the students who were doing it -- but I've also seen students thrown out of the gym for chanting it.

And I've seen a 70+ year old man thrown out, tomato... tomatao
Go TIGERS!!!

Tough days for Tiger Football.

OXY Oswald

I'm of the mind that most anything should go at basketball games, I understand the idea of family atmosphere... but if the guys on the team (any team) wanted a nice quiet gym to play some ball in while their mom watched they'd play at the YMCA. 

Fan support, especially from the student body is important to any sport, good luck censoring them.
Go TIGERS!!!

WestCoastWhiner

Kerr incident will go down as the worst display of fan behavior outside of European futbol in recent memory.   Az St. will never live that down.

Fan involvement has to be supported, even with some kids pushing the boundaries.  Personally, I'm just glad folks at SCIAC schools care outside of the Claremont-PP battle & Saturday nights at CLU/Redlands.   

DJ, Lloyd is a pimp and deserved the MVP last year.  WB will take it from him this year, ala Bush-Leinhart.  Knowles wants it too.  Betty is the better athlete but he hasn't proved in the conference that he is in Lloyd's league as a player.   Betty was an outstanding football player for Oxy prior to joining the hoops team and has already registered at least 2 of the top 10 greatest dunks ever by a SCIAC player.  Stepping away from football has clearly opened up his game.  Having said that, Betty's performance against CMS prevents me from jumping on his bandwagon yet.  We'll see whether he has the mental fortitude and poise to put himself on Lloyd's level. 

But speaking of Lloyd, with all of that talent and ability, he may go down as the most disappointing out-of-conference performer ever.  Puget Sound, Trinity, Amherst.  Dang.     

"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

OXY Oswald

Quote from: OxyBob on January 27, 2006, 03:55:30 PM
>>I'm of the mind that most anything should go at basketball games<<

I most respectfully disagree with my esteemed Oxy colleague. Arizona State vs. Steve Kerr comes to mind as an example of "anything goes" gone ugly. Home fans should be encouraged to enthusiastically support their team, to respect their opponents, who are their guests, and always exhibit good sportsmanship in their words and actions.

OxyBob

I looked up the Kerr incident, I'd never heard that story before, maybe some of you have a few years on me... that's absolutely atrocious, no fan with any respect for the game, players, or themselves could ever sink to that level.  So consider my previous statement ammended to include the terrible things said by ASU
Go TIGERS!!!

dj_hyphen

Quote from: tigersports on January 27, 2006, 01:31:20 PM
Is this really what the majority of college kids listen to?  Man, what happened to going to some dive club on Sunset and checking out some obscure band from Austin or Phoenix or something.  (I guess that officially makes me a 40 year-old white guy).   Bottom line, though I don't offend easily, I really don't want to hear n----r or m----th---r while I'm getting ready for the game.

Well the players don't mind, and the students don't, but obviously the other people in the building don't want to hear the dirty edits of the tracks...so I was always surprised that nobody said anything when they used the non-radio version.  I think the strangest pre game music I heard was at Biola, who apparently can't play rap music...so they just play the instrumentals.  Weird, to say the least

But anyway, yes, the majority of college kids, and likewise the majority of young people in the country, listen to rap music, at least partially.  Rap comprises most of the Top 40 these days, and pop radio plays a ton of rap...more than ever before.  If you want to get into the reasons behind that, you could write books...but basically, old rich white men market the 'taboo' stereotypical image of young black youth, making millions off suburban kids everywhere and ****ing up the future of the black community at the same time.  It's pretty effective for them

dj_hyphen

Quote from: WestCoastWhiner on January 27, 2006, 04:41:59 PM
DJ, Lloyd is a pimp and deserved the MVP last year.  WB will take it from him this year, ala Bush-Leinhart.  Knowles wants it too.  Betty is the better athlete but he hasn't proved in the conference that he is in Lloyd's league as a player.   Betty was an outstanding football player for Oxy prior to joining the hoops team and has already registered at least 2 of the top 10 greatest dunks ever by a SCIAC player.  Stepping away from football has clearly opened up his game.  Having said that, Betty's performance against CMS prevents me from jumping on his bandwagon yet.  We'll see whether he has the mental fortitude and poise to put himself on Lloyd's level. 

But speaking of Lloyd, with all of that talent and ability, he may go down as the most disappointing out-of-conference performer ever.  Puget Sound, Trinity, Amherst.  Dang.       

hmm...i'd be willing to say Lloyd has a few of the greatest dunks in SCIAC history too, along with some of the more incredible blocks I've ever seen.  A bunch of sportscenter top 10 worthy plays if they had happened at the D1 level.  As for that second statement, sure he hasn't had the greatest games in those 3 match ups...but with such a small sample set, you really can't make any definitive statement like that.  Especially to say "ever"...come on now

sciacguru

Betty is far and away the best player in SCIAC now, regardless of athleticism.  He is the best player on the best team.  This result of the game this weekend will determine that....if PP ever comes out of their zone.  Yes, Lloyd was voted the MVP of the SCIAC last year....but he was no where near the best player LAST YEAR.  Hodges, Jolly, Taylor should have been strong considerations.  But to say that a guy who averaged 10-12 pts in a season was the best player....come on.  But he sure is making a run at it this year.  He was a stud in the CLU game, but I still dont think he is better than Betty.

And for Betty being an outstanding FOOTBALL PLAYER, I would have to disagree.  He was the Jerome Bettis of Oxy football.  Put him in on the goal line and throw it up.  Because the guy has 3 TD's on 3 catches doesnt make him a great FB player.  It makes him a great situational player.

WestCoastWhiner

Outstanding in the sense that he wasn't there just to have a uni on.  The kid added value.  Lloyd would get hit and take a while to get up.

Doesn't matter how many Lloyd averaged last season.  12 ppg in PP's system equates to about 20 in everyone else's. 

But you may be right about Betty.  Until the CMS game he has been playing as if he is one of the best players in the country.  His game from the pinch and the wing has seemed unstopable at times.  But to get gloved in a big game raises a big question mark in my mind.  Everyone is entitled to a less than spectacular game, even MVPS - but against the 2 time defending champs, Betty has to bring it to be considered in that camp. 

DJ, I'll put money down that Betty has had 3x Lloyd's dunks this year. 

I have no doubt that Lloyd has had some monsterous plays but I'll stick with Betty.  The guys has the size to dunk on 2 at a time. 
"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

dj_hyphen

word, the dunking argument is pretty pointless, cause last i checked, we don't have a SCIAC tv package.  So the incredible plays that both Lloyd and Betty have made have only been seen by a handful, and rarely has one person seen both.  Tough to compare the almost 'urban legend' of some of these plays, that will surely grow over years from "a monster windmill fast break dunk" to lefty 360's in traffic.

Hopefully they'll both be able to put on a show this weekend....with my Hens pulling out the big win

OXY Oswald

Quote from: sciacguru on January 27, 2006, 07:58:49 PM
And for Betty being an outstanding FOOTBALL PLAYER, I would have to disagree.  He was the Jerome Bettis of Oxy football.  Put him in on the goal line and throw it up.  Because the guy has 3 TD's on 3 catches doesnt make him a great FB player.  It makes him a great situational player.

Which is what the Tigers needed him for.  As a matter of fact, Sam actually would make his own playcard to go in his wrist band prior to game time with one word written on it... FADE.
Go TIGERS!!!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: OXY Oswald on January 27, 2006, 03:15:17 PMAnd I've seen a 70+ year old man thrown out, tomato... tomatao

Wow, a septuagenarian chanting the barnyard epithet at a basketball game? That would almost be worth the price of admission, just for the man-bites-dog spectacle of it all.

Quote from: OXY Oswald on January 27, 2006, 03:17:42 PM
I'm of the mind that most anything should go at basketball games, I understand the idea of family atmosphere... but if the guys on the team (any team) wanted a nice quiet gym to play some ball in while their mom watched they'd play at the YMCA. 

Fan support, especially from the student body is important to any sport, good luck censoring them.

Huh? How do you equate disallowing the BS chant with a "nice, quiet gym"? I could show you lots of gyms here in the midwest where nobody chants that, either by choice or by edict -- and yet the crowd is as loud as all get-out and the student section is intense and in-your-face.

In fact, the common rule of thumb for a lot of student sections is that the BS chant simply demonstrates a lack of wit on the part of those who use it.

Don't equate the family-atmosphere thing and the lack of vulgarity by the students with a lack of noise, intensity, or ire directed at opposing players and/or refs.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Howlinwolf

I've already posted pointedly on this subject. Any yahoo can chant an expletive. It's unnecessary, unbecoming, and unoriginal. Equating bursts of "BS" with  fan enthusiasm is just plain faulty logic.
Those fans who stand out from the rest are full-throated and clever. If they're college fans, esp. at SCIAC schools, then act like it, and distinguish your college from the supposed masses that can't find other words to express their support (or displeasure).

Nice shot of Betty on front page of D3 Hoops.

sciacguru

Quote from: pomonaalum on January 27, 2006, 12:02:47 PM
With few exceptions, SCIAC games are not "family affairs" - there is little to no support from the communities.  The reasons for this are varied and numerous...What fans are there are made up of students, faculty/staff, and some parents of players.  That's about it.  Few small kids, etc.

Not a value judgment, just a statement of fact.

If the SCIAC games are not "family affairs," then why does Redlands have games titled "Bring a kid to a game night," or why does CLU have youth basketball games at halftime???  If you were ever to go to another conference game other than PP vs CMS, you would see that the communities are in attendance at SCIAC games.  Regardless....the BS chant is unwarranted....always.

And for once....I agree 100% with Sager.....excellent posts/opinions.

tigersports

We'll have the game tonight at 7.30 at oxybroadcast.com.  Both teams better bring it.

sciacguru

"Doesn't matter how many Lloyd averaged last season.  12 ppg in PP's system equates to about 20 in everyone else's. "

Then Jeremiah Martin would have averaged 45 ppg in 2000/2001 somewhere else?  Didnt he avg 18-20 ppg for 2 years???  What about Eric Lund in 1997 (MVP) who averaged 8 ppg...guess he was the best player in SCIAC that year too.  Or what about FoSheezie...he was MVP that averaged 9 ppg???  You are right....the MVP in SCIAC does designate the BEST player in SCIAC.

I am not knocking Lloyd's importance to that PP team, his versatility take so much pressure  off Beron and Knowles and gives them that 3rd scorer which they desperately needed for SCIAC, but in regards to last year.....he was not the BEST player in SCIAC regardless of his MVP award.

I think Coach Kats is a good enough coach, that if he has a guy that has the capability of averaging 20+ pts, he finds a way to make it happen.