MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestCoastWhiner

Guru, your missing the system aspect run by Kats.  No player is ever featured.  I would guarantee that Kats wouldn't trade Lloyd for anyone else in the conference AND that Lloyd would get 18 ppg for Oxy.  It boils down to shots.   Difficult for a player in that system to consistently put up lots of shots.  Can't argue with the results, Kats dominates the conference.  They should have put a picture of him on the front page and not Betty.   Performance against Amherst by Betty brought him a lot of attention and until CMS he has backed it up.  It didn't seem to me that he did enough in that game to influence the game in other areas.  Thankfully for Oxy, Phillips brought it as did the Euro and Oxy's perimeter D.  PP has 3 guys tonight who all could be MVP but will play for the W and not to put up numbers.  Should be a great game.  Heck, you have to love that we got a photo on the cover of the Site.  X factors are Oxy's Euro and WB.       

DJ, I stick with my statement about Lloyd out of conference.  Kid has had opportunities but fades away.  He should have one more chance this year to either lose the title as the worst big-game out of conference SCIAC stud or solidify it. 

That squeaky sound you hear may be the tightening of cheeks at the Rock.   

"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

sciacguru

Quote from: WestCoastWhiner on January 28, 2006, 03:16:44 PM
Guru, your missing the system aspect run by Kats.  No player is ever featured.  I would guarantee that Kats wouldn't trade Lloyd for anyone else in the conference AND that Lloyd would get 18 ppg for Oxy.  It boils down to shots.   Difficult for a player in that system to consistently put up lots of shots.  Can't argue with the results, Kats dominates the conference.  They should have put a picture of him on the front page and not Betty.   Performance against Amherst by Betty brought him a lot of attention and until CMS he has backed it up.  It didn't seem to me that he did enough in that game to influence the game in other areas. 

If no players are ever featured....then why has Knowles taken 175 shots, Beron at 220 and the next highest is Porter with 68....nah...they dont feature their players.  I guess Evan Flagg....who starts....is handcuffed by Kats.

http://www.physical-education.pomona.edu/mens/basketball/stats/2006/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

sciacguru

All things considered....tonight's game should be good.  I hope to make it as the CLU/Redlands track meet is too far.

David Collinge

Quote from: OxyBob on January 28, 2006, 05:41:20 PM
I just checked out The Daily Hen Sports Update, and found these disturbing entries, among others:

"Alex Lloyd scored 19 points and Ed Wexler-Beron added 16 points as the Sagehen's held on for a 65-62 win over Cal Lutheran."

"David Knowles led all scorers with 24 points and six assists as the Sagehen's defeated the Leopards of Le Verne 77-66."

Attention: Editor! Sagehens. La Verne. Geez, did someone from Redlands write that copy?

OxyBob

Don't you mean someone from Redland's?   :D

I might be at Oxy for the game tonight (I still haven't decided); if I come, I'll be wearing a "Wooster" sweatshirt.  Look me up if you like; I'd like to meet you.

Eye of da TIGER

Well its time to put the women and children to bed ......... cuz we are ready for Oxy vs Pomona!!!!! My boys and I are pregaming right now and I'll tell you what the student body is coming out to support its #16 team in the nation.  Tonights crowd is going to be loud, crazy and extremely CLASSY!!!!!!  Good luck to Pomona cuz they are stepping into the Tiger den.
4 is the smallest composite number, its proper divisors being 1 and 2. 4 is the smallest squared prime. 4 is the only number in the English language for which the number of letters in its name is equal to the number itself. 4 is also the number of titles in a row the tigers will have in '07!! Go Oxy

David Collinge

The Pomona fans evidently chanted "Safe-ty Schoo-ool" at the Oxy fans tonight.  :D That's a much more clever cheer than "Bullsh--."   

Oxy hangs on to win, 53-52.  Maybe Whiner will agree that the Tigers are the current favorites now.

OXY Oswald

The few PP fans in attendence were clever but I felt like the OXY fans got it going right back against them!  Great win for the Tigers, both CMS and PP will be tough games on the road.

Good luck next week OXY!

Go Tigers!
Go TIGERS!!!

Tough days for Tiger Football.

pomonaalum

"Safety School" was usually reserved for CMC...
What's up with the 'Hens offense this year, is Lloyd still not 100%?  And what's with the report of no working game clock?

mr_rayburn

I was lucky enough to take in the Pomona/Oxy game tonight and as the score indicated (53-52 Oxy) it was a very close game.  I'll go ahead and actually say that Pomona played a better game overall than did Oxy. Without the GREAT game of Connor Whitman, Oxy would have lost by 5-10 points.  In addition to the clock being out and a very old substitute put in play, the referees were not at the top of their game tonight. 

I'd say for the most part the calls were bad on both ends, but there was one play specifically that was atrocious and unfortunately it came to play a very important part in the game.  About halfway through the second half, Kostic caught the ball straight away above the 3-point line with 2 seconds remaining on the shot clock.  He then shot an airball, but one of the other Oxy players caught the ball and completed a reverse layup.  Sadly the clock read "0" while Kostic's shot was in midflight, but because of the clock situation the buzzer was being controlled manually by an Oxy student.  The refs, obvoiusly paying little attention to the game at this point, credited Oxy with the bucket, which I believe put them up by 5 at the time. 

Pomona as usual had a pretty evenly spread offense with Ed Wexler-Beron playing a good game and leading the Hens.  Betty was held in check most of the game, though he did come through with a few big baskets down the stretch.  Gyan Alexander, the lone freshman on the Oxy squad, got significant minutes and though he didn't do much on offence, he was a game changer on defense putting significant pressure on many of the Sagehen guards.

The chants were pretty standard.  The "Safety School" chant was pretty good because the Oxy fans had nothing to return with.  There were a few lower class chants from the Oxy students, such as "You are ugly." Not very clever, but not all that unexpected at a game like this either.

The turnout was great though.  This was a great atmosphere for a basketball game for both teams and really made me want to get back out there on the court with my Sagehens. The away games at Claremont and at Pomona are going to be very tough for Oxy.  I'm starting to feel that this Oxy squad is getting the same breaks that the 2002 team did when they went 14-0.  Something special could be going on in Eagle Rock.

mr_rayburn

Oh yeah I wanted to add to one of the other debates on this board...the most athletic in SCIAC.

Lloyd has been playing for less than a month and is bound to have ups and downs during his acclimation.  Its pretty sad to see people bash him after he's had 2 significant knee injuries (and surgeries) during his career.  He can still get up. He can still block shots and dunk. He's still a game changer. 

Alex Lloyd as a freshman was one fo the most athletic guys the SCIAC has likely ever seen.  So I'm turning back the clock and giving him the title as most athletic due to what he was and what he still is!

OxyFan21

I'm not going to dispute the fact that Pomona may be a "safety" school for some Oxy students...I have a slightly different take on it...read on.

For me, Pomona wasn't even an option as my grades weren't even close to what they required out there off the 210.

For what it's worth, Oxy challenged me academically beyond my wildest expectations and I think I turned out okay.  I have heard a rumor that once you are admitted to Pomona, maybe the workload isn't as difficult as they want you to graduate and keep their #'s high?  I could be wrong, you would have to ask my brother, PomonaAlum. 

I think Pomona and Oxy offer its students (at least when I was in college) two vastly different experiences academically and socially. 

The one thing I do know is that there is no such thing as Leo's Taco Truck anywhere but in Eagle Rock!

A one point win is a one point win.  Apparently, we are so inept at Oxy that we can't even operate a clock.... ;D

OxyFan21

Maybe its time for a rich Oxy alum to donate some ca$h to the athletic department for some much needed facility upgrades. 

I would do it, but since I didn't go to Pomona, I don't know what having $ is like...I only know that having "The Drum" and a one point win feels pretty damn good.

Pat Coleman

A safety school is what you apply to to make sure you get into some college somewhere. In case you think you aren't going to be admitted to the places you really want to go.

Mine was St. John's. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: OxyBob on January 29, 2006, 02:46:29 AMDon't send my boy to Harvard, the dying mother said.
Don't send my boy to USC, I'd rather see him dead!
But send him to ol' Oxy, 'tis better than Cornell
And rather than Pomona, I'd see my boy in ... Scripps!

We have our own version at NPU:

Don't make my boy a Buckeye, the dying mother said,
Don't send my boy to OSU, I'd rather see him dead,
But send my boy to old North Park ... far better than Purdue,
A fighter for the blue and gold, a Viking through and through.

Every year the male contingent of the NPU Choir sings it as a kickline in the spring concert held at the CSO's Orchestra Hall in downtown Chicago.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WestCoastWhiner

Good insight from the attendees.  I tried to log on for the first 15 minutes of the game and experienced technical difficulties so ran out for a medium-rare filet order.  Thanks for the input those of you who attended.   Haven't seen the stat sheet so I'm going to assume that this win goes to Oxy's coaches & student body.  Getting that kind of big production out of a sophomore (who played some good games last year ), and has been a solid contributor this year but by no means a dominant force, implies that Oxy may have more weapons than folks think.  This clearly isn't just the Betty show.  

Oxy proved me wrong, barely, but nonetheless proved something to this confessed Kats-fan (at least within the confines of SoCal).  I'll also give Betty the nod for MVP (50% of the award anyway).  Home games against CLU (interesting loss against Redlands tonight), Redlands & LV give them an opportunity to continue to improve as a relatively young team (especially at guard).   Snooze on any given night and this thing can shift back to Kats in a hurry.  Still, with PP facing Whittier, Redlands & LV on the road, they too have to avoid the snooze factor.  CMS is looking strong, except for the little payback game for the Hens.  

The thing to remember is that this thing isn't over yet.  It still can get interesting.  Glad to see that the cheeks stayed loose enough at the Rock for the better team to win.  Again, credit to the staff & the student body.  PP brought something and they responded.  

Good creativity by the Hen fans in attendance.  Fear not Tiger faithful, Duke doesn't always win the ACC either and I'm pretty sure most of their students can get into UNC.  Maybe the Oxy football team will bring a big drum and bang on it the entire game to remind the Hen faithful of their football failings.  It would be a nice way of tying the two sports together (winner banging the drum all game long on the hardwood). 

"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."