MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_rayburn

Quote from: El Tigre on January 29, 2006, 01:22:28 PM
Having sat in the student section for the tigers and assisted in starting most of the chants ... we never began chanting "You Are Ugly."  It was actually the PP fans who began chanting when our cheerleaders game out to perform.  Then later the cheerleaders came back out and they began chanting "Your Still Ugly."  The oxy section has tried to be more classy and thus far has done a good job of it. 

I didn't want to really say anything further on this subject, but couldn't let this just pass.  You are flat out wrong about the "you are ugly" chant. I was sitting on the Oxy side and heard it clearly directed at a specific Pomona-Pitzer player.  Let's end it at that.

I did not hear the Pomona fans chanting that the Oxy cheerleaders are ugly, though I wouldn't put it past them.  I think it's funny that any schools in the SCIAC have cheerleaders at all.  I know Pomona doesn't and that is not necessarily a bad thing.  It's pretty sad when everyone in the crowd has to hold their breath when the cheerleaders do a routine and hope that no one crashes to the floor.

WestCoastWhiner

Guru, you were right about Betty.  I'm on the bandwagon.  He obviously influenced the game in other areas last night and that is what the great ones do.  If he shows up on the road in the 2nd half of league (something he didn't do last year), as promised, I'll change my name to Betty for All-American.  Little things make the difference.  Whether Oxy can win it and then avoid the whipping at UPS all depends on Betty's ability to continue to do the things outside of scoring that help his team win.  

OxyBob, the Hens always reflect Kats, tough kids who play right and always represent the school well.  Having said that, I am sure that losing never sits well with them, considering their conference dominance under Kats.

I'm going to lob a gentle criticism at my boy Kats.  Nobody is better at defense & defensive adjustments.  His achilles heel is a slight unwillingness at the offensive end to make adjustments.   Maybe that is what kills him the most in the post-season.  Give him Oxy's assistants and PP might be going to Salem this year.   Oxy scores consistently against everyone (UNLV, CS Domingues, Azuza P, Amerst).  Lloyd would have been posted up against smaller men in the Oxy system and Oxy's cheery assistant would have yelled some friendly suggestions to Knowles to stop jacking up so many treys.

Sabertooth, Oxy's football & hoops programs are getting it done in spite of apathy up and down the chain in the Administration - starting with the AD and running to the President.  If the Admin is so friendly to athletics why is the gym falling down and amongst the worst in the SCIAC; why do the coaches run around before the game setting up the facilities - do you make them wash practice gear there too?  I've already spoken about your horrible marketing & SID work.  Friendly in what way?  Be thankful Oxy has great staffs in their hoops & football programs because without them, Oxy wouldn't be much different than Cal tech.  

Folks need to understand that getting to Salem requires turning some of this apathetic, just try to be competitive in conference crap on its head.    
"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

scandihoovian

I don't know much about CLU's loss at Redlands, but my best guess comes down to the fact that the Kingsmen are so young this year and made too many mistakes of the variety that "the system" depends on.  I expect a very different outcome when the Bulldogs come to Thousand Oaks.

I also agree with the notion that winning at Cal Lu may be the key for Oxy/PP/CMS as they try to win the conference.  It has not been unusual in recent years for CLU teams to beat at least two of the three at home.  The Kingsmen strike me as the kind of team that would love to make a difference in the conference race, these games provide the perfect opportunity.

For the record, I once had some very insensitive PP fans infer that the only thing a CLU degree is good for is flipping burgers.  The nerve  ;D  I'm enjoying watching the Oxy-Pomona rivalry ratchet up - from my perspective they're both great schools.  I was thrilled when CLU got the chance to join a conference with the likes of Oxy & Pomona and leave behind the GSAC (Cal Baptist, Vanguard, Point Loma, APU; standard GSAC pre-game prayer: "Dear Lord, help us smite the heathen Lutherans upon the hardwood without incurring any injuries...")   Oh well, enough said and back to work...

Hey, buddy, you want fries with that?

OxyFan21

The refs for Saturday night SCIAC games are consistently average, at best.  Listen to TigerSports on his broadcasts and he will give you his two cents about the Wednesday night refs vs. the Saturday night refs.

As far as our lack of admin support, I can only hope that that has changed since when I was there (Slaughter Era).  If you didn't know this about Slaughter...who can blame him, he came to Oxy from the University of Maryland and the Len Bias tragedy...would you be supporting athletics if a scandal had just blown up in your face?

Now that I am here in STL, and I have said this before, the SID at Wash U does an amazing job preparing pre and post game notes.  They have full PDF versions available on their website prior to the game and links to post game reviews a few minutes after the final buzzer.  I can only speak for Wash U, but I'm sure most other top notch D3 schools/conferences are just as competent.  Maybe Mr. Holmes needs some help in Eagle Rock. 

Visit STL and see all the NCAA banners hanging from the Wash U rafters...mostly for women's sports, but the entire operation is wonderful.  They even have cheerleaders whom the crowd holds their breath for, not for their looks but also for their lack of skill. 

I can only say this so many times, it's time for our conference to step it up.   I'll admit, the gym at Oxy is a sad excuse for the #16 (and hopefully moving up) team.

It's late, forgive me.  I still love Oxy, I just wouldn't get married there  ;)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: OxyBob on January 30, 2006, 01:35:23 AM
>>OxyBob, the Hens always reflect Kats, tough kids who play right and always represent the school well.  Having said that, I am sure that losing never sits well with them, considering their conference dominance under Kats.<<

You're the one who brought up the clock, the referees and the scorekeeper as reasons for Pomona's loss, not me. None of those excuses kept Pomona from winning the game last night.

OxyBob

You should use the quote function. All you have to do is hit the quote button on someone's post. Then you need to make sure you don't type your own post inside the two {quote} tags.{/quote}
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Sagecock

Quote from: OxyBob on January 30, 2006, 01:35:23 AM
You're the one who brought up the clock, the referees and the scorekeeper as reasons for Pomona's loss, not me. None of those excuses kept Pomona from winning the game last night.

OxyBob

I'm going to have to call you on that one.  No one is denying that Oxy played a hell of a game, but to deny that the officiating had nothing to do with it is a cop-out.  In a 1-point game, a blown call does in fact change the game.  The lack of a call on the shot-clock violation was terrible.  2-points right there that go the other way, PP walks away with the victory.

Pat Coleman

Shouldn't have let it come down to that.

If either school had bothered to post a box score of this game I might be able to point to other things that could have contributed to the final result. But alas, neither school has a box up. Oh well.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

OxyFan21

I'm going to have to call you on that one.  No one is denying that Oxy played a hell of a game, but to deny that the officiating had nothing to do with it is a cop-out.  In a 1-point game, a blown call does in fact change the game.  The lack of a call on the shot-clock violation was terrible.  2-points right there that go the other way, PP walks away with the victory.

Though I was not at the game, I am sure there were a few blown calls which hurt both teams.  In a one point game, a lot of variables come into play.  If Oxy made a few more 1+1 foul shots, the game would have turned even more in our favor.  If, that's the operative word.

As far as the scorekeeping and clock, nobody is denying that it is horrible for something as important as the clock to go out in a game of that magnitude.  The clock doesn't even go out in the high school games I coach, and believe me, I am talking about low-level high school basketball.

Maybe Chan or other administrators were at the game and were embarrased by the failures.  From the looks of it, we had a full house on Saturday night...hopefully someone was paying attention, maybe Jon Wooden?  ;D, and will realize that the entire gym needs to be remodeled...

We shall see what happens in Round 2...@CMS and @ PP.

For now, be weary of Caltech next.

OxyFan21

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 30, 2006, 04:08:45 AM
Shouldn't have let it come down to that.

If either school had bothered to post a box score of this game I might be able to point to other things that could have contributed to the final result. But alas, neither school has a box up. Oh well.

I don't know what it takes for Oxy to do this.  I say, hire a work-study student who loves sports and have them do this for them.  I'm sure Oxy spends a lot of money on glossy promotional brochures highliting the beatuiful campus, etc directed at it's prospectives...This, right here is free exposure!  You would think after you guys put Betty on the front page they'd show you some love (and respect) and call/fax/email a box to you.

Maybe someone important trolls these boards...then again, I could be dreaming/screaming about the same things year after year.

dj_hyphen

http://www.physical-education.pomona.edu/mens/basketball/stats/2006/P-P-OXYY.HTM

here's the box

I suppose the thing that made the difference, and only Rayburn has brought up, is that Connor Whitman looks like he absolutely dominated from outside.  In a game where both teams struggle to score 50, he drops 25.  That's domination...and I don't care how on fire he was, it's pretty inexcusable for someone to hit 6 three's in a game that low scoring.  You might want to put a body on him in the zone and tell your guards that he's a shooter.  Even if he hits 2 deep ones with a hand up, you can't give up 6...come on now.

He drops 25, Betty drops 17, and that's it...that's all the scoring they could muster...but yet, it's enough since PP continues its horrible offensive production this year.  If there's only 2 scoring threats, and one's a shooter, how do you not force the ball out of his hands or force tougher shots?  Maybe someone who was there can tell me if he was Kobe-like, cause I just don't see how that can happen. 

The next thing that jumped out at me from the box (aside from horrible free throw shooting from both sides) is that Hollo took only one shot (and missed) in 27 minutes.  That's just not going to cut it, regardless of the reasons why it happened.  It seems like Hollo's struggling a little bit this year, after being one of the better big men in the league the past few years.  At 6'8" and the D3 level, he can be a valuable asset, just like he has been in the past.  Wasn't he a 2nd teamer last year?  Definitely need to get more shots and production out of him in 27 minutes...especially in a game that close

Anyway, congrats to the Tigers for defending home court.  PP will have to take things one game at a time and hope for some help, but Oxy has some tough games coming up so the race is far from over.  Also, despite the board being dominated by Oxy/PP talk, CMS is quietly looking very strong...with only their own close call loss to Oxy.  Plus they host the next match up...but of course, there's the PP rivalry game before that.  Regardless, a great race right now with Oxy, CMS, and PP leading the way, and CLU looking to play spoiler

scandihoovian

Thanks for posting the link to the box, hyphen.  I'm amazed that the two teams were a combined 12 of 28 from the line - and without Knowles 4 for 4 effort they would have been 8 for 24 (an amazing 33%). :o

I haven't looked at any other Oxy box scores - are they always in a pretty strict 7 man rotation like the one Newhall used Saturday?

mr_rayburn

Of course one play does not make or break a game.  There are 50 other plays in a game that could have gone one way or the other to affect the flow and outcome at the end.  That being said it is unfortunate in a game of this magnitude when there are certain plays that are clearly blown and in retrospect might have caused the game to flow a bit differently.  Pomona has been shooting free-throws TERRIBLY this season.  Had they been able to hit a respectable 70% during this game they would have pulled it out. 

It looks like Pomona has about 3.5 consistent scorers.  David Knowles and Ed Wexler Beron are always going to be threats on the offensive end.  Alex Lloyd has been the third most consistent threat since coming back from early season knee surgery. The other scorer I saw on Saturday was David Brown.  He too is coming back from an early season injury (broken ankle I think) and made some clutch shots during the game.  If all 4 are clicking Pomona should win if only 2 of 4 are on then it'll be a very tough game.

mr_rayburn

New Question:

I'm curious how many of the posters on this board actually played college basketball and if so at what level (and school). 

I played D3 for Pomona (if you didnt already know that).

David Collinge

The officiating NEVER decides the outcome of a game.  The game's outcome is decided by the two teams, and how they play given the environment in which they play.  Officiating is part of that environment.  If it's raining, you run more and pass less.  If the wind is blowing out, your rely more on your sinker to induce ground balls.  If the refs are not calling fouls underneath, you play more aggressively in the paint.  How you deal with the conditions presented goes a long way towards determining whether you win or lose.

castle

Quote from: mr_rayburn on January 30, 2006, 01:41:00 PM
New Question:

I'm curious how many of the posters on this board actually played college basketball and if so at what level (and school).

I played at CLU...
"Dive for loose balls"