MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: OxyBob on March 07, 2006, 10:43:10 AM
Gregory Sager:

>>Browneagle, you might want to acquaint yourself with a little geographic concept that those of us here in Flyover U.S.A. like to call "the midwest."<<

Tell it to the University of Michigan, which has been confused for years about its location:

"Hail! Hail! to Michigan, the champions of the West!"

OxyBob

When 'Hail to the Victors' was written (which, incidentally, no less than John Phillips Sousa dubbed "the greatest fight song of all time") the Big Ten (unofficial motto: so we can't count - you got a problem with that?) was known as the Western Conference.

A bit of Rose Bowl trivia: first fball game (1902?) - Michigan 49, Stanford 0 (Stanford forfeited during the 3rd quarter!).  The Tournament of Roses parade decided to go with other 'sidelights' for several years thereafter, then resumed fball games but NOT with the Western Conference/Big Ten.  First rematch between teams now in the Pac 10 and Big Ten, 1949(?).  Result: Michigan 49, Stanford 0!  (But at least they played the whole game!) ;D

Mr. Ypsi

BTW, before anyone starts knocking my karma even lower, I'm well aware that the Big Ten has lately been taking it on the chin in the Rose Bowl! ;D

Mr. Ypsi

LOL!

Bo did have a VERY disastrous stint as GM/President of the Tigers (not that anyone since has been much better!); I'd forgotten that he even knew baseball existed!  But football - that he knew (despite his Rose Bowl record)!

Since Fielding Yost and Fritz Crisler are long since deceased, lay off our 'Living Legend'!  Sorry, UM nerves are a bit tender with the two BIG sports a bit in the dumps - but our softball team sure did kick everyone's butts! ;D :o

steveflegel

Mr. Yipsi,

Sorry to be a stickler for the facts, but your information about the Rose Bowl is inaccurate.  The Big Ten vs. Pac 10 (or Pacific Coast as it was known) resumed in 1947.  Illinois beat UCLA 45-14.  The 1949 game was Northwestern 20, Cal 14.  Michigan did play in 1948, but beat USC, not Stanford, 49-0.

The Pac-10's first win did not come until 1953 when USC beat Wisconsin 7-0.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: steveflegel on March 08, 2006, 03:44:50 PM
Mr. Yipsi,

Sorry to be a stickler for the facts, but your information about the Rose Bowl is inaccurate.  The Big Ten vs. Pac 10 (or Pacific Coast as it was known) resumed in 1947.  Illinois beat UCLA 45-14.  The 1949 game was Northwestern 20, Cal 14.  Michigan did play in 1948, but beat USC, not Stanford, 49-0.

The Pac-10's first win did not come until 1953 when USC beat Wisconsin 7-0.

I stand corrected on both the year and the team - but I DID remember those strangely identical scores after a nearly half-century gap!

OxyFan21

I was just looking around on Lincoln University's basketball site.   First off, very impressive (compared to what we're used to here) site with detailed player Bios...

They certainly attract some good players there.  They seem to get a lot of good talent from Philadelphia and Baltimore/Washington, which is natural given its proximity to both cities. 

On another note, are they the only HBCU in D3?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: OxyFan21 on March 09, 2006, 02:07:49 AM
I was just looking around on Lincoln University's basketball site.   First off, very impressive (compared to what we're used to here) site with detailed player Bios...

They certainly attract some good players there.  They seem to get a lot of good talent from Philadelphia and Baltimore/Washington, which is natural given its proximity to both cities. 

On another note, are they the only HBCU in D3?

Rust College (Holly Springs, MS) and Fisk University (Nashville, TN) are also D3 HBCUs.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Liger Hoops

tigersports

Logger, thanks for the kind words and the insight on the colors.  I just found it odd and curious that a banner and someone's old "Go UPS" (I'm paraphrasing) shirt would be in different colors than what I was seeing.  Had never seen something like that before.  Thanks for clearing it up. 

OAN, we need a bracketbuster weekend of NWC/SCIAC games during Christmas break.

diehardfan

From the Front Page:

All-Region
Voting deadline
11 p.m. ET!

You just gotta hope that SOME SCIAC SID reads that, and nominates SOMEone...  :-\

(cough) ...Miles Taylor...  :)
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Pat Coleman

Nominations closed last week. This is the voting period.

Miles Taylor was nominated. Not sure how many SCIAC SIDs voted in support of their conference members.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sciacguru

Once again another travesty in the all-region voting!!!

Mazarei -1st Team (6th place team)
Betty and Taylor - 2nd Team (2 best players in SCIAC)
Curtiss and McVey (UPS) - 3rd team (2 leading scorers on an elite 8 team)

Are you kidding me with this.  How does the MVP and the 2nd best player in the SCIAC get 2nd team when Mazarei was on a 6th place team.  If you want to go with your "traditional team" of 2 guards/2 forwards/center....1 forward/2 centers.....then how does Mazarei get ahead of Curtiss, the leading scorer for an ELITE 8 team at the guard position??

I am having flashbacks of the other shooter a few years ago from Redlands (a 6th place team that year) that got 1st team over Avedian (3rd team), the MVP of SCIAC.  Ok so you go with pts/game.  If you take Mazarei off Redlands team......Redlands is still a 6th place team in the SCIAC.  If you take Taylor, Betty, Curtiss or McVey off their respected teams......well, I think you get the idea.  Doesnt coming from a winning team carry any weight in the voter's mind?  Congrats to all, I think the players that made the All-Region team are all deserving, except Mazarei.  I just think they are in the wrong order. 

And one last note.....Taylor could be listed as PG or G or F or C....he was that good and that versatile.....so throw that "traditional team" garbage statement out.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sciacguru on March 14, 2006, 08:56:05 PM
Doesnt coming from a winning team carry any weight in the voter's mind? 

I don't think so. I believe it takes five people to play basketball. One person does not a team make.

Do I think he's a little high on the list? Umm, yeah. Did a lot of SCIAC schools cast their votes? I think you know that answer without me having to say it. Three did, which I think is one more than usual.

Remember, too, since you seem to not realize this: Mazarei and Taylor/Betty were never in competition with each other. Frontcourt and backcourt are voted on separately. Where one is in relation to the others is not a reflection of their comparative value. There are more good frontcourt players in the West Region this year than backcourt players.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman