MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I don't know if he's hurt, but his numbers have been down for a few games, for sure.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

duckfan41

Quote from: AndOne on January 06, 2019, 11:42:54 PM
I sense Loras strongly felt they were capable of taking down #1 Nebraska Wesleyan yesterday.
However, you have to be impressed with NWU's 18 point win, especially when you consider 2 Wesleyan starters were out and didn't play a minute.
Loras' Josh Ruggles—20 minutes, 1 for 6, 3 points. Was he hurt?

He had been throwing up the night before. And then game day he was throwing up before, during, and after the game. Not fun stuff but the competitor in him did his best to be out there for his team.

AndOne

Quote from: duckfan41 on January 07, 2019, 10:17:55 AM
Quote from: AndOne on January 06, 2019, 11:42:54 PM
I sense Loras strongly felt they were capable of taking down #1 Nebraska Wesleyan yesterday.
However, you have to be impressed with NWU's 18 point win, especially when you consider 2 Wesleyan starters were out and didn't play a minute.
Loras' Josh Ruggles—20 minutes, 1 for 6, 3 points. Was he hurt?

He had been throwing up the night before. And then game day he was throwing up before, during, and after the game. Not fun stuff but the competitor in him did his best to be out there for his team.

Well, you have to admire his competitive nature. However, given the status of his health before, during, and after the game, the logical question that arises is whether his participation actually did the team more harm than good.  ???
Also, should Loras Coach Martin have pushed back when Ruggles expressed his desire to play. 🤔
This is a kid who has had a history of catastrophic health issues and multiple heart surgeries as I understand it. That he was throwing up the night before is one thing, but the fact that he was still doing it 24 hours later seems like it should have sent a cautionary signal in the coach's direction, especially considering his player's serious health history. Think about it—A heart related issue is not something you want to stress with athletic competition under less than optimum health. 💛
Lastly, for his teammates' sake, hopefully whatever he had is not communicable. 😷
I wouldn't want to have been the guy(s) sitting next to Ruggles during his prolonged period of up-chucking. 🤮

Maybe I'm being a little cautious here. But I'm thinking as a former medical investigator. 👨‍⚕️

dunkin3117

Was able to do a little digging yesterday and found out that Ruggles was definitely under the weather, but from what I had been told, there was no vomitting during or following the game.  He hasn't looked himself for a few weeks, I really hope he starts to find his swagger again soon.  He can be a fun player to watch. 

Schipper Strong

Central finally gets an ugly win at home against BV 77-73.  They have been seriously short handed with injuries and played a few minutes with 4 guards on the floor tonight. It was a struggle all night and there is a lot of room for improvement, but at least they finally got a win.

doolittledog

Dubuque takes down BVU 55-52

Neither team could buy a basket in the 2nd half.  BV lead 39-35 at the half, UD outscores the Beavers 20-13 in the 2nd. 

Dubuque now 4-3 in conference play. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

doolittledog

Standings...

Neb Wes 6-0  15-0
Loras  ....4-2  12-3
Dubuque 4-3  11-5
Simpson  3-3   9-5
Coe Col.  3-3   9-6
Wartburg 3-3  9-6
Central ...3-3  6-9
BVU .......2-5  8-8
Luther ....0-6  6-8

Looks like NWU and everyone else playing for the 2 seed.  Also of note, 2nd through 8th separated by 2 games.  Could see a decent team not make the conference tourney. 

Wednesday games...
Loras @ Luther 8pm
Wartburg @ BVU 8pm
Simpson @ Central 8pm
NWU @ Coe 8pm

Saturday games...
Luther @ NWU 4pm
Central @ Loras 4pm
Dubuque @ Wartburg 7pm
Coe @ Simpson 7pm
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

dunkin3117

Been quite the year so far.  I'd say now is the time we might start seeing some separation, but I just don't know if that will happen.  Going to another one of those years where 3-4 teams are fighting for the last couple of spots.

Schipper Strong

Central gets the win over Simpson tonight by 3. I think it was 87-84 but don't quote me on that. Central still playing with a number of players injured. Seth Wood did not play at all in the second half. I didn't see an injury, but we could have used him, so I don't know what the status is. Central and Simpson both had bursts that swung momentum through both halves. Everyone that played for the Dutch gave a solid effort. I have to give credit to Mason Walter helping out on a tough defensive assignment and getting a couple of huge 3s. Nice job for a senior who, until the injuries piled up, rarely played. A win over Simpson is always fun. Nice to see the Dutch keep battling tonight. It paid off.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

NWU shot 24% from three and got outrebounded and still won by 8 - a little drama in the last minute, but probably not enough for them to really worry.  It really seems like there's a few teams in conference who just can't beat the Prairie Wolves, even on a good night.  That says much more about the defending champs than about anyone else, though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

doolittledog

Half way through the conference season. 

Neb Wes  .8-0
Loras  ......6-2
Wartburg  5-3
Dubuque  4-4
Coe Col  ..4-4
Central  ...4-4
Simpson  .3-5
BVU  .......2-6
Luther  ....0-8

AndOne

Wartburg takes down Loras by an 88-83 score. In doing so they tie Loras for 2nd place in the conference. The loss should knock Loras out of the Top 25. Josh Ruggles 1 for 9 from three for Loras.

dunkin3117

It would certainly knock them out should they lose to Nebraska Wesleyan on Saturday.  With a win, I could see them dropping a bit, but not out of top 25.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: dunkin3117 on January 24, 2019, 10:36:30 AM
It would certainly knock them out should they lose to Nebraska Wesleyan on Saturday.  With a win, I could see them dropping a bit, but not out of top 25.

A win over the #1 team in the country who is undefeated would save them... but I expect Loras to drop out otherwise unfortunately.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

duckfan41

Down goes #1! Loras defeats Nebraska Wesleyan 84-76!

Ruggles led the charge with 27 for the Duhawks. Multiple guys in double figures for the Prairie Wolves. This win almost certainly will keep Loras in the top 25.