WBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 14, 2005, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valleybballfan

I agree with Fairmont1113. I am not agreeing because I am a diehard BC fan, I am just agreeing because I was there and I saw the game. Bridgewater dominated the first several minutes of the game and never looked back. Coach Dunmyer of VWC was forced to call a timeout just a minute and a half into the game because BC scored on its first three possessions to go up 6-0. Bridgewater did not shoot that ball as well as they usually do, Katy Herr was sick, and they still won by 14! VWC played a pretty good game to me, jmill. That was the third time I have seen them play, and they played well. When they played at EMU and had to rely on the last second heroics of Taylor Lowe with 1 second left to win the game, shot the ball poorly, and turned the ball over 24 times, that was a bad game by the Marlins. So, to me, and this is just an opinion, VWC played well...they were never really in the game, and they lost.

I coach basketball, and let me just make a point....when a team gets a big lead, it is a pretty normal thing for them to let their guard down, for the coach to give the reserves some valuable minutes, and for the other team to take some unorthodox measures to get back in the game. Such was the case in the BC game. BC backed off the pressure, and VWC proceeded to throw up some wild shots, and they went in! Yes, VWC got back into the game, and they should be commended for that, but the only point fairmont1113 was making was that BC was not fortunate to win that game, they are a very good ball team and did what they had to do to win the ball game. They outscored the bigger Marlins in the paint, were even with them in the rebounding category, and they had several reserves get valuable playing time and take advantage of it.

I do disagree with fairmont1113 on one thing, I do think VWC is ready for the "prime time", so to speak. To me, they are the third best team in the ODAC. They are a very good team and are on the up and up. However, jmill, I could tell you were just trying to take some cheap shots about fairmont1113's comments, and that was not needed because he meant no disrespect, or at least it did not seem so by his post. I think BC is a "prime time" team. They have played much better teams then VWC and has been competitive. They have three top 25 teams, two of those are top 10 teams, and one of those teams has received votes to be number one in the nation....MARY WASHINGTON! Yes, BC lost to a very good MW team. I have seen MW play (not BC) and they are a very talented team. BC went right from playing #7 and beating them in double overtime, to playing #9 two nights later. They did not lose that badly to MW, they lost by 18, but they hung in there for a while. They only lost by 11 to #24, and played them very even. They were able to pull within four several times in the second half against #24 Oglethorpe.

Their only other loss comes to Emory. Emory is 10-3, and two of their losses were also to top 25 teams, one of them was the #2 team in the country. Bridgewater has consistently had a good team. They play good competition and get quality wins. For the second straight year their point guard (Herr) has been named to the National Team of the Week at least once. VWC has not yet played a ranked team.

One more thing, jmill....I do believe an upset to a team with a 30-game ODAC winning streak, ranked #7 in the nation, and finished runner-up in the nation the previous year does mean they should be recognized as "prime time." Also, when they played RMC the first time BC held a lead for much of the game, it was tied 64-64 with just 2:28 left in the game, and RMC managed to get some big shots from Silva and they hit their free throws. I apologize for being so long winded, but BC has played quality teams and played well. I follow a lot of the ODAC teams and know a lot. So, if you are going to make allegations about a team, know something about them and do not generalize on one game (Mary Washington). Good effort thus far to both BC and VWC, they are both playing great!

I just got a phone call that BC picked up two more wins this weekend on the road at Emory and Henry and Guilford. Also, I was able to see the Roanoke v. RMWC game on Saturday and Roanoke is playing much better then they were when I first saw them play in early December. They have now won six in a row! Does anybody have any idea why they are starting to play so well? I have not seem them enough to know. Erin Hanson has really impressed me also. She had 21 points and 13 rebounds in only 23 minutes! Can't wait to see the VWC V RMC game this week! Should be a good week of basketball in the ODAC!

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: jmill on January 15, 2006, 05:40:55 PM
Cutting a 22-point deficit down to 8 with time still to win the game is no "small run." It may not have been one of BC's best efforts, but it wasn't one of VWC's best either. If BC was in "control the entire game" the margin of victory would not have slipped so much.

Here are some facts (not opinions) about the VWC-BC game:

The Marlins came in making good on 39% of their field goals, 61% of their free throws and 30% of their three-pointers.  Versus the Eagles, VWC made 38% of their field goals, 60% of their free throws and 32% of their three-pointers.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but the Marlins' performance was par for the course.

VWC never had the lead, and was only "in the game" (score-wise) for four minutes during the beginning of the first half.  BC went out to a 6-0 lead two minutes into the game ... with the Marlins staying within six or less over the next four minutes.  I suppose you can call that a small victory?!

As for the 22-point lead (52-30 w/ 12:36 remaining in the game) that you "chipped away at" ... the Marlins had the game under a 10-point lead (and never any closer than eight points) for exactly 29 seconds of the second half.  Another small victory, I'm assuming.

Quote from: jmill on January 15, 2006, 05:40:55 PM
What was that score at Mary Washington?

Hmm, perhaps you don't follow Division III women's basketball that much, not your fault.  I'll attempt to educate...

Mary Washington kicked our butt.  No question about it.  But maybe you haven't checked out the D3hoops.com Top 25 lately ... they are now No. 7 in the country and only one of two undefeated teams left (currently 14-0).

It's not your fault you haven't seen your Marlins play anyone.  Like I mentioned earlier in the week, VWC has played opponents with a combined win percentage of 45% ... while the Eagles have faced much tougher competition at 64%.  And if you think starting out 8-0 in the ODAC having played everyone but R-MC and BC is impressive, consider that six of those eight teams (not counting EMU and RC) have a combined 6-18 record (25%) outside the conference.  If you all are as good as you think you are, then you are suppose to win those games.

Play the Yellow Jackets tough on Tuesday, then get back to us.
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

former rmcsid

Again, just curious -- not giving my opinion, a bad idea for an SID.

Anyone have thoughts on all-ODAC for this year?  Almost the midway point this season.

heinbball

What is everyones take on the outcome of tonights RMC/VWC matchup at VWC? Id take RMC BY 18. Anyone else?

bcsportswriter

Quote from: rmcsid on January 16, 2006, 12:29:43 PM

Anyone have thoughts on all-ODAC for this year?  Almost the midway point this season.

My picks are somewhat uninformed because i havent seen each team play (though I have seen most of them), but here is my shot at first team all-odac.

Megan Silva- RMC
Marsha Kinder- BC
Jennifer King- GC
Katie Herr- BC
Amanda Renalds- EMU

The top 3 seem like a lock because of their stats.  Katie does EVERYTHING. And Renalds is a toss up with some other players like Jessica Hunsinger (W&L) or Megan Stensrud (RMWC).  But like I said, that is a party uninformed opinion.

Matt Barnhart (kid)

For anyone interested, VWC has live stats for the game tonight.

R-MC was up 41-31 at the half ... it remains a 10-point advantage two minutes into the second half.

Olinemom

Quote from: bcsportswriter on January 17, 2006, 01:09:01 PM
Quote from: rmcsid on January 16, 2006, 12:29:43 PM

My picks are somewhat uninformed because i havent seen each team play (though I have seen most of them), but here is my shot at first team all-odac.

Megan Silva- RMC
Marsha Kinder- BC
Jennifer King- GC
Katie Herr- BC
Amanda Renalds- EMU

The top 3 seem like a lock because of their stats.  Katie does EVERYTHING. And Renalds is a toss up with some other players like Jessica Hunsinger (W&L) or Megan Stensrud (RMWC).  But like I said, that is a party uninformed opinion.

Megan Silva and Katie Herr for sure.  Too early to tell for the others as yet.  Haven't seen EMU or GC yet.
Brownies for Film Day--Now there's a Slogan I can live with!!!:)  Go EAGLES!

fairmont1113

RMC 83  VWC 58

The Marlins lost by 25 tonight to RMC. Michelle Orton played a terrific game, scoring a game-high 28 points and pulling down a game-high 13 rebounds. Megan Silva, of course, played another gem of a game. She recorded 22 points, 7 assists, and 8 rebounds. Heather Phillips for the Marlins scored 7 points below her season average as she contributed just six points on 2-of-8 shooting.

Everyone wanted to see how #11 Chelsey Barrett would match up against Silva after her impressive 15 point performance against BC, and she did not match up that well at all. She only averages 6 points a game, and though she is a good player with potential to do some big things, she is no where at the level that Silva is. She scored just 5 points on 1-of-12 shooting.

Matt Barnhart (kid)

ew ... you're right.  #11 didn't do too well ... 1-for-12 from the floor (six misses from three-land).  Silva did have seven turnovers ... who knows how many were because of #11.

One interesting thing I did notice was versus Bridgewater, the Marlins played 10 players who all played at least 11 minutes (and no one with more than 31).  Against R-MC, the Marlins played their starters 32, 34, 36, 36 and 36 minutes.  Only one other player in double-digit minutes (10).

Again, horrid shooting by the Marlins doomed them.  Hit only 21-of-75 (28%) from the field and 17% from behind the arc ... and were outrebounded by nine.

odacbballfan

While Randolph Macon may have proved they were still head of the class tonight they also showed glimpse of what little class they have. Yes Silva ended with 22 points but if you read a little deeper into the stats you will see she scored most of them late in the game when the game was completely out of hand. She had six points at half time with just three shots, Orton had 16 at the half and I guess just over powered the smaller VWC posts. With the game out of reach in the 2nd half Coach LaHaye left  Silva in until 21 seconds left in the game (according to the VWC web page) .  Now that is a classy move. Guess Silva couldn't score on the Marlins #11 so she waited until the game was out of hand and the Marlins had pulled the plug to run up her totals. Not to take anything away from Megan Silva she is a great player and a true competitor but why leave her in the game at that point other than to just pad her stats. I am sure that this isn't the first time that this is happened and I am sure that the Marlins aren't the only victims. I think it goes without saying that I am not a VWC fan so I could care less about how bad Macon beat them but I hope coach LaHaye will remember the old saying "WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND" Silva and Orton will be gone VERY soon, and the rest of the ODAC is getting better and better. I hope that ALL the Coaches in the ODAC will "Do unto others as they have had done unto them"... Hats off to the Orton for a monster game, and getting her points when they really counted,  and a sorry no offense to you Silva I think you are a great player, just question your coaches thought process.......

upper90

ODACBBALLFAN

what to say, If you've been watching Macon this year you would see that they are still trying to find that "thing" to make it all come together.  A defense that they are confident in, a go-to combination, something to light a spark in them to get them playing the basketball that their talents will allow them to play.  No offense (a statement made often on this forum) but playing against teams at the bottom of the ODAC are not going to be teams that Macon will be able to FIND this thing.  They need competition, and when they are playing a team tied for first in the league why wouldnt they try to get the most out of playing them.  They are not out their trying to prove they deserve their national ranking, if you ask them they dont even know WHAT they are ranked, they are trying to prove to themselves that they a different team then last year and a damn good one at that.  Give the coaching staff a break and have faith that they are not trying to disrespect the other teams or the other coaches but trying to make their team the best that they can.  (side note, macon is playing another nationally ranked team in February, they gotta prepare somehow)     

odacbballfan

From the VWC Web Site:
"Virginia Wesleyan hit on only 1-of-6 shots and turned the ball over three times in that span to the Jackets, who were just hitting enough to steadily pull away. R-MC connected on 5-of-12 shots, including two by Michelle Orton, to pull out to a 62-42 lead with 9:20 to play.... R-MC's All-American Megan Silva finished with her game-average 22 points, tallying 10 in the final 7:12 of the contest. She exited the competition with 21 seconds to play."
Read that carefully, with a 20 point lead the yellow jackets made it a point to make sure that Silva, who had been limited to just 12 points in the game, got off enough shots in the final 7 minuets to reach her average. That has nothing to do with a team looking for any "thing" that is a selfish, individualist approach, that should disgust not only their opponents but the kids on the bench who work just as hard at practice and can't even get into a blow out. Yeah that is the kind of "TEAM" I would want to play for.  They should just call them the Megan Silva Yellow Jackets........See now you have gotten me upset. And again I want to apologize to Silva because this is not an attack on her or her abilities at all, she can't help it if her coach has no concept of team. Maybe if they would have had a little more team approach last year they wouldn't be the defending national "runner up" yellow jackets.....

Matt Barnhart (kid)

I'm sure Macon saw that the Marlins turned a 22-point deficit (52-30) against Bridgewater into an eight-point game (65-57) 11 minutes later.

I see nothing wrong with keeping starters in a game that is already won, especially less than six weeks from the NCAA tournament and players needing to be in shape enough to play 30+ minutes a game.

That's why I assumed R-MC played their starters so long in this game ... the speed of VWC (and BC) is as close to what the NCAA tournament teams will be like, so I see it as good preparation.

To prove my point, I looked up how many minutes per game the starters from last year's Final Four Macon team played in the tournament (five games) ... and it proves it:

Silva averaged 39.2
Shaffer averaged 32.2
Morgan averaged 31.6
Crider averaged 27.4
Orton averaged 25.0

In the VWC/R-MC game yesterday, the starters played:

Silva, 39
Orton, 33
Morgan, 29
Senske, 27
Hiltunen, 23

That's almost identical to the average minutes per game by the starters last year in the NCAA tournament.

So be frustrated the Marlins lost by 25 points, but don't say Macon was unclassy.

valleybballfan

I do not see anything wrong with the way RMC played that game. When you are blowing teams away almost every game, its hard to keep benching your All-American so the bench can see minutes. That would become an every game affair if RMC played that way. I do think that the yellow jackets rely too heavily on Silva, and that next year will be quite a task for Coach LaHaye to devise a game plan where the Jackets will play as more of a team then a one-woman wrecking crew.

Talking about sportsmanship, I have been dissapointed with VWC and their sportsmanship. At the three games I have seen them play, I have noticed more and more that they are great athletes, but not the best of sports. The players complain on most every call the ref calls against them, and at both the BC game and the EMU game, there were several times that a VWC player would cause someone on the opposite team to hit the ground hard, and rather then helping them up, the VWC player would just walk away. That is not classy!

This is my vote for first team on not only skills, but on their class.....

Megan Silva
Katy Herr

Both of these girls are outstanding basketball players, and I always see them go out of their way to help an opposing player off the floor. Hats off to them!

fairmont1113

I was at the BC v. VWC game, and I agree. There were several times that one of Bridgewater's girls would hit the ground hard, and a VWC player would just walk right by them. I was sitting around BC fans and there were several times that the crowd yelled at the VWC team to help their opponents up. That is just the right thing to do. That does not exemplify class or good sportsmanship.

I also am impressed with Herr and Silva. Everytime I have seen them play, they both have had excellent games and have always congratulated one another after the game. They help other players off the floor, and the few minutes that they might see on the bench, they are their teams biggest cheerleader. I wish Silva would not talk to the refs so much on free throws, but Michael Jordan used to do the same thing, so I guess she is just acting her part as a super star.