WBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 14, 2005, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2122rspc

I agree, EMUfan....unclassiness is shown when a game is clearly out of hand and the team with the lead is still pressing or trapping to get easy layups.  We've all had games where teams have done this to us and no one likes it.  However, we've also all been the team who had a sizeable lead and coaches often use this time to run new plays in game situations, change lineup combinations, work on new defenses and such.  There is nothing wrong with that.  

JMill, I also agree with you about the fact that it is also a time when you are taking a risk of your starters being injured.  And in those times, it comes down to what the coach wants to do.

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: 78rmc on January 18, 2006, 09:18:24 PM
Odacbballfan, gosh, you have a bad case of Silva-envy.  Just take your meds, you'll be okay.

Investing in a punching bag might do the trick.
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

odacbballfan

Last time on this subject... you guys are not reading what actually happened... It wasn't about running new plays, new d's and working on things to get better. Macon specifically ran plays to get Silva the ball so that she could score. No offense, no working on things just make sure Silva gets some shots up.....It has nothing to do with leaving people iin or running up scores but it really doesn't matter, it was just a point of view, one wich is not a popular one but i am big enough to take the heat......

valleybballfan

jmill.....

I made the post about VWC and their sportsmanship. I have seen them play three times, and each time have thought to myself that sportsmanship is an area they could improve in. I coach basketball, played basketball, and am just a fan of the game. I love the ODAC. I have seen every team but Guilford and Hollins play this year. I have no favorite team, so I am not very biased. I tend to cheer for players from my area....Augusta and Rockingham Counties. Since I have no favorite team, I can look at the VWC squad and give an honest opinion about their sportsmanship, or lack of it.

jmill

Yes, valley, you can give your own opinion.  But you see what you want to see and interpret things your own way.  Everyone does.  You're making a huge judgement on three games.  Since you've seen all but two ODAC teams play, are all of the other ODAC teams innocent of the same charge?  You're fooling yourself if you say "yes."   

Heinball, there is no comparison between RMC and what goes on at Duke.  But you are right, people should enjoy what RMC is doing, at least RMC fans should enjoy it, while it lasts.  After seeing them play four times now, with little improvement, I don't foresee them getting a spot in Springfield.

Matt Barnhart (kid)

odacbballfan,

Wow ... I sure hope you're just playing around and trying to stir stuff up on here, because you clearly don't know what you're talking about.  Let me help by informing you on the facts:

With 10:05 left in the game, R-MC was up 60-42.  You state, and I quote;

Quote from: odacbballfan on January 18, 2006, 10:16:41 PM
Macon specifically ran plays to get Silva the ball so that she could score. No offense, no working on things just make sure Silva gets some shots up.

I sure hope you weren't at the game, because this is what happened in those last 10 minutes...

R-MC attempted 19 shots (two of which were non-Silva shots that sent a Yellow Jacket to the line for two).  So that leaves us with 17 shots.  Orton took five of them.  That leaves 12 shots.  Hiltunen took three, leaving nine shots.  Thompson attempted two, which leaves us with seven shots.  Senske, Morgan and Shaffer all attempted one shot apiece, leaving us with four shots.

So yeah, Silva had a whopping four shot attempts during the last 10 minutes of play.  So you're saying that Silva taking four of her team's 19 shot attempts is, and I quote;

Macon specifically ran plays to get Silva the ball so that she could score. No offense, no working on things just make sure Silva gets some shots up.

I'm just trying to make sure I'm clear on this.  So what you're trying to say is that Silva taking 21% of her team's shots in the game's last 10 minutes means that, and I quote;

I know, I know ... my post is loaded with sarcasm.  I just hope this is the way to get across to you, because the other (more educational) ways didn't.

emoryfan

I haven't posted in a while....but I will comment on this subject.  I've seen Silva play quite a few times in her 4 years, and there is no doubt that she is great.  I think she can score at will, on any given night, and against any given team.  Thats all qualities of a Great player, and in my opinion, you want those players on the floor for the majority of the game. 

odacbballfan

It has become very evident that I am the only one on this board that feels that an all-American, jacking up a three pointer with 1:50 left in a 30 point game, or scoring her last bucket with 29 seconds left when you could just run out the clock is not good basketball. Therefore, I will do what any good politician would do and flip-flop my view on the subject. I no longer care what the score is or how much time is left.
FIRE AWAY!!!!

hasanova

Congratulations to the Quakers for a 96-92 road win at E&H last night.  I saw a few posters had Jennifer King on their 1st Team All-ODAC list.  She didn't hurt that recognition by dropping 36 on the Wasps last night. 

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Well, before you got sarcastic with the statement;

Quote from: odacbballfan on January 19, 2006, 08:50:26 AM
I no longer care what the score is or how much time is left.  FIRE AWAY!!!!

You changed your position on the matter from;

Macon specifically ran plays to get Silva the ball so that she could score.

to;

Quote from: odacbballfan on January 19, 2006, 08:50:26 AM
It has become very evident that I am the only one on this board that feels that an all-American, jacking up a three pointer with 1:50 left in a 30 point game, or scoring her last bucket with 29 seconds left when you could just run out the clock is not good basketball.

Fact #1: Silva's three-point attempt with 1:50 left was one of three the Jackets attempted in the second half (and Silva's only attempt).  Fact #2: Silva's jumper with 29 seconds left came with only seven seconds left on the shot clock.

I don't think you know what you are arguing about/for anymore.  Therefore, I need to shut up and let you be.  So go ahead and get in a good last word on the subject.

Maybe this time you'll be fuming at the fact Silva made a steal with 5:49 left in the game.  How could she!!!   >:(

whitecaylxx

Okay odacbballfan - I'll help you out.  It does seem pretty evident that Macon tries to pad Silva's stats.  Which is sad, because she's and Excellent player and doesn't need the help.  As for starters staying in, Bridgewater did keep their starters in until the two minute mark against W & L.  However, they weren't trying to up Kinder's or Herr's stats.  Just another opinion.

rip08

whitecaylxx,

Evident how? Can you give me some stats that back up your claim, or are you just talking out the side of your mouth like odacbballfan?

fairmont1113

The Daily News Record out of Harrisonburg, Virginia ran a nice article on Katy Herr in today's print. Here is the link if you would like to read it.....

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=2580&CHID=3

valleybballfan

Here is my opinion on what the first team in the ODAC would look like if the season were to end today.

1st Team:

Megan Silva-RMC (22.8 ppg-1st, 5.4 rpg-20th, 6.77 apg-1st, 3.15 spg-2nd
                             and she is second in assist-to-turnover ratio)

Katy Herr-BC (11.5 ppg-18th, 5.9 rpg-18th, 4.07 def.rpg-14th, 4.80 apg-2nd,
                       3.60 spg-1st, fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio)

Jennifer King-GU (21.4 ppg-2nd, 7.3 rpg-10th, 3.29 apg-9th, 2.57 spg-5th,
                            14th in assist-to-turnover ratio)

Meghan Stensrud-RMWC (17.5 ppg-4th, 8.2 rpg-5th, 0.83 bpg-11th)

Jessica Hunsinger- W&L (16.2 ppg-5th, 10.4 rpg-2nd, 3.00 bpg-1st)

King, Silva, and Herr do absolutely everything for their teams. Herr does not average as many points as Kinder (BC, 19.1-3rd), but she does so much for the Eagles in every other statistical category, that I thought she would deserve 1st team over Kinder. The one thing that all three of these players do is lead their team in minutes. The reason I feel like they should be first team selections is the fact that they are so vital to their team's success.

Stensrud and Hunsinger, in my mind, are two of the best posts in the league right now. Both players might not come from the strongest teams, but their performances speak for themselves.

mybleedinghands

No "love" for LC's Caroline Wesley? Shes cureently averaging 14.9 points a game on .537 shooting overall and .788 from FT. She is also averaging 8.5 rebounds, .73 blocks, and 1.1 steals a game. And to think she's even been playing better the past few games! Against hollins she had 18 points, 13 boards, 2 assists, and 3 steals. Against Roanoke she had 23 points, 13 boards, 3 blocks, and 6 steals (and the last time I checked roanoke was a solid squad). Against W&L she had 12 points in only 17 minues because of foul troubule, and Hunsinger had to take 18 shots to score 13 points (5 of the points came from the FT stripe where she was only 5 for 10). Against Ferrum she had 15 points, 10 boards, 2 blocks, and 1 steal. Against EMU she was the best player on the court scoring 22 points along with 12 boards. Against VWC she had 9 points and 11 boards. Against Averett she had 24 points and 11 boards. I won't go on with the stats anymore. She's obviously proven herself as one of the best post players in the ODAC and outperformed Hunsinger in their one matchup to date. Caroline Wesley should most definitely get consideration for at least 2nd team all-odac, if not first team! And she's doing all of this on a team that has has to make hte transition to a new coach, on a team that was projected to only finish 9th in the ODAC, and i'm sure the scouting reports absolutely stress that they make her really work for her points!