WBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 14, 2005, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Barnhart (kid)

I think fairmont1113's failure is in not mentioning Mathews (EMU) and Phillips (VWC).

Yikes, how can you not give props to the third- and fourth-seeded team's best players?
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

fairmont1113

Quote from: eh ... just call me 'kid' on February 22, 2006, 10:07:02 AM
I think fairmont1113's failure is in not mentioning Mathews (EMU) and Phillips (VWC).

Yikes, how can you not give props to the third- and fourth-seeded team's best players?

It is actually very easy to not give props to the third and fourth seeded team's best player. You see, I was making guesses for first and second teams, an honor awarded for individual performance, not an award based on how well the team that you played for did, although I do believe that does factor in.

So, why do I say it is easy to not give props to Matthews (EMU) or Phillips (VWC), even if they play for good teams? Because their personal performances are not as outstanding as some of the other players in this league, or at least that is what I believe.

Last year Bridgewater, who finished second in the ODAC by several games over Roanoke, had not one single player placed on first or second team. Let me break down the stats of their two best girls from last year and compare them to Matthews and Phillips stats from this year.....

Player          Scoring Avg.        Reb. Avg.        AST        STL        BLK
2004-05
Herr, Katy               9.4                    5.7              95          70            6
Scales, Shannon    11.6                   5.3              48          59           28

2005-06
Matthews, Steph.   9.2                    7.1              41          64             8
Phillips, Heather     12.5                  7.1              32          25             16

Now, those stats have Bridgewater playing in two more games then VWC or EMU have played in thus far. However, I think you see my point. VWC is a very even team from top to bottom. They have a lot of girls who contribute, unlike some teams from the ODAC. So, that will result in a good team (3rd place regular season), but few individual honors. Now, Phillips might find a spot on second team, who knows? However, I think Matthews and Phillips best bets are to be named to the honorable mention team. This is just my opinion, but keep in mind that I believe Matthews and Phillips are outstanding players, I am not saying anything against their talent.

RMCAlum30

I like fairmont1113's 1st team combination of players... even though I haven't seen all of them play THIS year, my basis for comment is how well they have played in years past as well as their statistics this season. But... I'd at least add Salem Shaffer of R-MC as one more player to the possibility of at least Honorable Mention if not 2nd Team. She is right up there with everyone else in many statistical categories, and is a great player all around and a great contributor to the team.
"You have to perform at a consistently higher level than others. That's the mark of a true professional."
~ Joe Paterno

RMCAlum30

And as for the BC upset of R-MC in the finals... I hope you don't have money riding on that game!!! R-MC will take the tourney - not saying it's going to be easy, but I know those girls will not let an upset happen.
"You have to perform at a consistently higher level than others. That's the mark of a true professional."
~ Joe Paterno

emufan

Somtimes you have to just throw numbers out the door and use common sense.

Stephanie Mathews deserves to be on one of the three teams.  Are you really going to leave a 1000 pt scorer and a great rebounder off the team.  I don't know her final reb., but it is extremely impressive for her position and height.

valleybballfan

Quote from: valleybballfan on February 13, 2006, 08:23:26 AM
Well...there is only one week of the regular season left...any guesses to the ODAC first team???

I had no problem choosing my first three....these first three girls are without a doubt first teamers to me....the last two I had some trouble deciding on?

Katy Herr
Megan Silva
Jennifer King

Jessica Hunsinger
Meghan Stensrud

I wrote that over a week and a half ago...and I am sticking with that team..the same as your latest pick, fairmont. Your last pick had Amanda Reynolds on 1st team instead of Stensrud, any reason you changed your mind?

I think Herr, King, and Silva have pretty much appeared on everyone's prediction for first team. It will be interesting to see how everything works out. Tonight is the banquet, so we will soon find out.

Now...for my tournament predictions..........

February 23rd
ODAC Quarterfinals
No. 1 RMC vs. No. 8 W&L (12:30)
No. 4. EMU vs. No. 5 GC (2:30)
No. 2 BC vs. No, 7 E&H (6:00)
No. 3. VWC vs. No 6. RC (8:00)

No.1 RMC vs. No. 4 EMU
No.2 BC vs. No.3 VWC

No.2 BC vs. No.4 EMU

mybleedinghands

Quote from: valleybballfan on February 22, 2006, 05:52:57 PM
Quote from: valleybballfan on February 13, 2006, 08:23:26 AM
Well...there is only one week of the regular season left...any guesses to the ODAC first team???

I had no problem choosing my first three....these first three girls are without a doubt first teamers to me....the last two I had some trouble deciding on?

Katy Herr
Megan Silva
Jennifer King

Jessica Hunsinger
Meghan Stensrud

I wrote that over a week and a half ago...and I am sticking with that team..the same as your latest pick, fairmont. Your last pick had Amanda Reynolds on 1st team instead of Stensrud, any reason you changed your mind?

I think Herr, King, and Silva have pretty much appeared on everyone's prediction for first team. It will be interesting to see how everything works out. Tonight is the banquet, so we will soon find out.

Now...for my tournament predictions..........

February 23rd
ODAC Quarterfinals
No. 1 RMC vs. No. 8 W&L (12:30)
No. 4. EMU vs. No. 5 GC (2:30)
No. 2 BC vs. No, 7 E&H (6:00)
No. 3. VWC vs. No 6. RC (8:00)

No.1 RMC vs. No. 4 EMU
No.2 BC vs. No.3 VWC

No.2 BC vs. No.4 EMU

a bit biased in those pick 'ems are you?  ;)

Matt Barnhart (kid)

fairmont1113,

The only statistic that Mathews isn't impressive at is scoring, but she only averaged around nine shots a game this year.

And how can you not have a Marlin represented on the All-ODAC team when VWC had the best turnaround of any ODAC school from a year ago?  I'm sorry, but all conference honors aren't just statistics.

We'll see what the coaches and SIDs think.  I'm guessing they won't put a RMWC player on the first team, they'll have Mathews at least on the second team, and at least one VWC player will be recognized (most likely Phillips).

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Nice to see Bridgewater No. 6 in the latest NCAA Regional rankings at 20-5 in the region.

Question for Pat;

Clearly I want and think the Eagles could win the ODAC tournament, but let's say they lose in the final, finishing 22-6.  What are their chances of making the tournament field?

valleybballfan

I have to be honest...I agree with fairmont on this one.

Quote from: eh ... just call me 'kid' on February 22, 2006, 06:58:08 PM
fairmont1113,

The only statistic that Mathews isn't impressive at is scoring, but she only averaged around nine shots a game this year.

And how can you not have a Marlin represented on the All-ODAC team when VWC had the best turnaround of any ODAC school from a year ago? I'm sorry, but all conference honors aren't just statistics.

We'll see what the coaches and SIDs think. I'm guessing they won't put a RMWC player on the first team, they'll have Mathews at least on the second team, and at least one VWC player will be recognized (most likely Phillips).

Statistics are obviously a huge part of all-conference honors. I wish they were not, but they are. For example...you think Matthews or Phillips should be honored on first or second team because their respective teams had good seasons, and that RMWC will not place someone on a team even though Stensrud and Prewitt both have better stats then Matthews and Phillips. That might be so...but why did Brandi Cochran from Hollins receive two first team selections when her team was a combined 13-37 for those two years? Why did Scales and Herr not receive any first or second team selections from last year? Fairmont proved that statistically they were equal if not higher to the two players you think should be on a team this year, and their team finished in second place last year!

In my opinion I think Amanda Reynolds and Matthews both deserve to be on a team, whether its first, second, or honorable mention. I also believe that Phillips should be on a team. However, I agree with Fairmont that it is not realistic to have those two girls on either a first or second team because even though their teams did well, their  stats are not as high as some of the other girls. Conference honors do weigh heavily on a players statistics. I do believe that both of these players could potentially be on 
second team, but I guess we will just have t5 wait and see.

valleybballfan

a bit biased in those pick 'ems are you?  Wink

Yes, I do seem to be a little biased ;D
If I were a betting man I might not put my money on those picks, but since I am no betting man and this board and these pick'ems have no money attached, I am going to go for some big upsets and two valley teams in the championship!

If I am right, I will look like a genious and am almost certain guaranteed some karma ;)

However, if I am wrong I will look like the board idiot and might just go into the negatives on my karm :-\

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: valleybballfan on February 22, 2006, 07:20:15 PM
I have to be honest...I agree with fairmont on this one.

Statistics are obviously a huge part of all-conference honors. I wish they were not, but they are. For example...you think Matthews or Phillips should be honored on first or second team because their respective teams had good seasons, and that RMWC will not place someone on a team even though Stensrud and Prewitt both have better stats then Matthews and Phillips. [...]

Umm, no, I don't think Mathews and Phillips should get all conference just because their teams did well.  I saw them both play, and thought they were two of the top 15 players I saw this year.

I have a feeling the ODAC will agree with me on this one when the All-ODAC honors are released.

Mom#15

Congratulations to Coach Dunmyer for Coach of the Year.  VWC has come a long way in 3 short years.  All the girls have played hard and it shows.

Congratulations to Heather Phillips of VWC for being named on the First Team. 

Good luck to all the teams at ODAC. 

GAVA

Quote from: valleybballfan on February 22, 2006, 07:24:05 PM

If I am right, I will look like a genious and am almost certain guaranteed some karma ;)

However, if I am wrong I will look like the board idiot and might just go into the negatives on my karm :-\

A "genious" with no " karm" !!! Now that would be very bad . ;D

GAVA

Silva 3rd straight year as POY and 4th straight year as first team all conference ( since freshman, that must be an ODAC record ).