WBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 14, 2005, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valleybballfan

I was able to see Lynchburg vs. Bridgewater yesterday, and man, what a tough Lynchburg squad. I do not think their 2-7 record is very representative of their talent. However, at the beginning of the season I had talked to some Lynchburg fans who were very excited about this recruiting class and had said that the Hornets' had several freshmen who had been given D-1 looks. I don't really see that, and I don't understand why you would go from getting looked at by D-1 to Lynchburg?

I think Lynchburg will be tough this year, but I don't think they'll do much, if anything, in the post season.

I was also impressed with Coach Tobey, it seemed like she kept her players enthusiastic and motivated the whole game, even when they were down by over 20 points.

It'll be interesting to see what this group does in a couple of years.

GAVA

4 of them came out of Richmond, and I think they were all on the same AAU team, but I think only one would have gotten any DI looks.

fairmont1113

Quote from: valleybballfan on January 07, 2007, 01:44:36 PM
I was able to see Lynchburg vs. Bridgewater yesterday, and man, what a tough Lynchburg squad. I do not think their 2-7 record is very representative of their talent. However, at the beginning of the season I had talked to some Lynchburg fans who were very excited about this recruiting class and had said that the Hornets' had several freshmen who had been given D-1 looks. I don't really see that, and I don't understand why you would go from getting looked at by D-1 to Lynchburg?

I think Lynchburg will be tough this year, but I don't think they'll do much, if anything, in the post season.

I was also impressed with Coach Tobey, it seemed like she kept her players enthusiastic and motivated the whole game, even when they were down by over 20 points.

It'll be interesting to see what this group does in a couple of years.

Katy Herr Lovell got some D1 looks as well when she was a senior in highschool, but decided instead to go to Bridgewater which had just finished their season in the 02-03 campaign at 11-16. She made an immediate impact at BC as she led the Eagles in her freshmen season to a 22-6 record and a regular season first place finish.

The recruits at Lynchburg, whether they were given D1 looks or not, came to a team that had finished the previous year at 10-15.

So, you ask if they were recruited D1 why go somewhere like Lynchburg? Well Katy could have been asked the same question, but look at the results of her decision. She stayed close to home and has her parents at every game, she gets to play lots of minutes, and she has turned Bridgewater around.

There are a lot of positives of going D3 instead of D1, and I'm sure these Lynchburg freshmen were coming in here hoping to also turn Lynchburg's program around, which they just might some day.

mybleedinghands

As far as Possible D1 kids going D3, it's happened with the men's team at LC. Steven Echols received several D1 scholarship offers, now he's at LC, has established himself as one of the best, if not the best, freshman in the ODAC, an will surely get well over 1,000 points in his carrer. Oh and he has helped turn a 3-22 team into a team that is 6-6. Now if he had gone D1, he probably wouldn't have even gotten into a game yet.

waterlucy

Fairmont1113:  Getting some "D1 looks" does not mean you could have gone D1.  As amazing a player as Katie Herr is - she could not go D1 because of her height.  That does not diminish her talent, but many different factors go into the D1 formula.  Besides, some players like to be big fish in little ponds - i.e. Megan Silva.

odacbballfan

I haven't been on in a while, just enjoying the holidays. I get back excited to see the talk on the board and all I see is blah, blah, blah Bridgewater, blah,blah, Katie herr.  I know, I know there just isn't that much to do around BC so you guys just sit at home on your computers and talk back and fourth to each other but lets try incorporate some other teams in the conversation. How about VWC!  In case you haven't noticed and judging by the conversation you haven't The Mighty Marlins are 10-3 overall and 7-1 in the conference. Having beaten Macon, Noke, E&H, Guilford, W&L X2 and well the women's college. No the Marlins don't have any 1,000 point scorers and I don't know about any DI players, although with 327 D1 schools and AAU ball I am sure just about anyone can get a "D1 look".  So lets just say with 15 players who got D1 looks the Marlins are looking good. The stats from Guilford have not been added in to the team stats at this time but after the E&H game the marlins had 3 players averaging 10 ppg followed by 5 others averaging 5 or more points. And that's just the thing, while none of the Marlins get the bug head lines you can't beat VWC by shutting down just 1 player because they have figured out how to play as a team. So you probably won't see too many Marlins on the all conference team at the end of the year, there is a good chance that none of these Marlins will score 1,000 points, and none of you narrow sighted people will write about any of them on these posts but they have it figured out here at the beach. Are the Marlins going to win the rest of their games? I don't know, I am guessing that someone will get them again along the way, the conference is pretty tough, but come tournament time I think this TEAM will be ready to knock off all of your super star players.

emufan

Quote from: vwcbeachbum on January 07, 2007, 09:08:03 PM
, while none of the Marlins get the bug head lines

LOL, here is to no ODAC players getting the 'bug' headlines! 

Just messing with you since you are tired of the BC jibjab

odacbballfan

Thanks for the help EMUFAN, you guys had a big win at lynchburg this weekend.  Maybe the Royals need some more posts on the board!

odac fan 4 life

I am very excited about VWC's success thus far this year, and its good to see some other posts other then BC. It does seem like there are a lot of BC posts (I have posted some about BC because I now live up this way and make it to those games) but just because BC fans are enthusiastic and post up doesn't mean people need to degrade that fact. Katy Herr just hit a big mile stone so people are mentioning that and giving her some praise. I have to say, vwcbeachbum, you do VWC shame for being as immature as your posts imply that you are.

It would be nice for some other schools to start posting up a little bit. Last year this board was still dominated by BC fans, but there were also a ton of RMC fans. I am not sure where everyone has gone, but who cares that BC fans are using this board to talk about their school. Is that not one of the reasons for this board??

valleybballfan

I haven't been on in a while, just enjoying the holidays. I get back excited to see the talk on the board and all I see is blah, blah, blah Bridgewater, blah,blah, Katie herr. 

What is funny is that your posts are the ones that sound like "blah blah blah."

None of your posts have been positive, you always have to bicker about something.  I guess that brings you amusement or something. There is a word for people like you.....you can figure that out yourself.

valleybballfan

Quote from: waterlucy on January 07, 2007, 07:49:14 PM
Fairmont1113:  Getting some "D1 looks" does not mean you could have gone D1.  As amazing a player as Katie Herr is - she could not go D1 because of her height.  That does not diminish her talent, but many different factors go into the D1 formula.  Besides, some players like to be big fish in little ponds - i.e. Megan Silva.

You say that Katy Herr could not have gone D1 because of her height, and you say that with such confidence. How do you have the "know how" in college basketball recruiting to make that call? Despite her height Katy has led BC in rebounding the past two years!

Katy was given more then D1 looks, she was offered the chance to play at several small D1 schools but turned them down to be close to home and family, and also so she could have the chance to see playing time. At a D1 program Katy might not have seen very much of the floor, but we will never know?

Every division of basketball needs big fish, even D3. Megan Silva was an amazing player who was very good for our conference. She, also, could have gone D1, but chose to play in a venue where she would be able to play alot of minutes. Its called making that decision so you have a chance to play the game you love, not solely making that decision so you can dominate.

GAVA

Are the Marlins going to win the rest of their games? I don't know, I am guessing that someone will get them again along the way, the conference is pretty tough, but come tournament time I think this TEAM will be ready to knock off all of your super star players.

OHHHHH please ...lets don't start that up again this year.  We heard that all season long last year and the Marlins didn't win the season, and didn't win the tourney... and aren't going to win either this year either. PERIOD. >:(

GAVA

Katy was given more then D1 looks, she was offered the chance to play at several small D1 schools but turned them down to be close to home and family, and also so she could have the chance to see playing time. At a D1 program Katy might not have seen very much of the floor, but we will never know?

[/quote]

Shorter than 5'8" and you are rarely going to get any meaningful playing time at any significant DI programs. Since you aren't shooting for proball there is much wisdom staying close to family, getting a great education, and playing lots more ball for four more years. ;)   

odacbballfan

[/quote]
None of your posts have been positive, you always have to bicker about something.  I guess that brings you amusement or something. There is a word for people like you.....you can figure that out yourself.
[/quote]

At least my posts get a reaction and get people talking. Isn't that what this board is all about. Talking about the ODAC. If you guys want to have a board just for BC I am sure that can be done. But until then at least I am getting a rise out of people  ;D

How many D1 Players does EMU have EMUFAN? Because they sure smacked the D1 Lynchburg kids pretty hard.

Llamaguy

Quote from: Scottie Too Hottie on January 07, 2007, 05:10:35 PM
As far as Possible D1 kids going D3, it's happened with the men's team at LC. Steven Echols received several D1 scholarship offers, now he's at LC, has established himself as one of the best, if not the best, freshman in the ODAC, an will surely get well over 1,000 points in his carrer. Oh and he has helped turn a 3-22 team into a team that is 6-6. Now if he had gone D1, he probably wouldn't have even gotten into a game yet.

Hottie,
I would agree with one of the best and maybe the best in the ODAC by seasons end. Dominic Trawick is currently the third leading scorer in the ODAC at 19.8pts/gm. Echols has more assists and a better FT % & 3pt % by mere percentage points. I would have to say Trawick is in the lead now, but the season is still young. ;)
"The Dali Llama"

Bridgewater Football 1980,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 ODAC Champions!