FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

nescac1

Regarding recruiting, I'm sure there are around twice as many ED recruits total, but here is what I've seen confirmed in terms of Williams recruits who have publicly committed:

Colin Schofield, QB
Will Sheskey, TB
Jack Murphy, DB
Tim Landolfi, TB / LB
Austin Dehmel, DB
Ryan Levrault, DE / LB

All from New England.  Seems like a strong group to start off the class.   

lumbercat

Williams has developed a nice connection with the Duxbury program where Dave Maimaron is the Head Coach. The Ephs get another very good Duxbury player this year in Landolfi.

nescac1

Indeed re: Duxbury.  The Ephs have one more year of Bobby Maimaron to look forward to, Eli Peters started at nose tackle as a sophomore, and Michael McCutcheon was a highly-regarded LB recruit who was injured his frosh year, but will hopefully make an impact in future seasons.  Hopefully Murphy and Landolfi make a similar impact. 

The coaching staff will have some interesting decisions to make at the TB spot next year, as the depth chart is ridiculously loaded already, and Sheskey and Landolfi seem like two more high-caliber recruits.  Nicholas and Vaughn are two of the top three returning TBs in the league, and they have three / two more years left, respectively.  Former starters TJ Dozier and Carter Begel are still around.  And two other frosh TBs got carries in late game action last year.  I imagine several of those guys will be moved to other positions where there may be more opportunity (WR in particular, H-back, safety, LB), because it does seem like Nicholas and Vaughn, if healthy, have TB locked down for awhile. 

lumbercat

Duxbury has a fantastic talent in Will Prouty. All state WR as a junior has been playing QB this year. Took one look at his arm in a recent game and couldn't believe he was 'filling in" at QB. As good a high school arm as you will see to go with his great athleticism.
Prouty is a big time talent who will land at a higher level but I bet the Ephs have given it a run.

SpringSt7

Prouty, I believe, is headed to BC as a preferred walk-on. Not only is his arm good, he's rushed for over 1000 yard and 23 TDs on 130 carries. Also all-state as a junior in lacrosse. Quite the athlete.

Would be nice to finally see some continuity at RB and all the skill positions for the Ephs. Begel and Dozier showed great flashes and numbers and didn't even seem to have a chance coming into this season. Closest thing they had to keeping the same running back for two years in a row was Connor Harris and even then they started Dozier over him. I would stick with Vaughn and Nicholas, obviously, but this coaching staff has shown they have no problem moving guys. Hopefully they can find the same depth at WR--Nelson looked great to end the season to pair with Stola for their senior year. Loffredo and DeGasperis should return after a year away from the program, but I wouldn't count on those guys being part of the bigger picture. Sheskey and Landolfi seem like good enough athletes for them to find somewhere for them offensively ideally, in certain packages at least. Stola/Nelson/Spiezio should get most of the catches, but can never have too many options.

Nescacman

Questions for the Ephs going into 2020:

1. How will the o-line be (Zapf and Watson are back next year but they lose MacArthur and other senior o-linemen)?
2. Will HCOF Raymond be back for another year?
3. Will they ever beat Wesleyan again?

SpringSt7

Despite the sarcasm, the Ephs should have 4 of their 5 starting OL ready to go--JR C John Rooney and FY RT John Freeman both suffered injuries in training camp that led to starting opportunities for Terry Zapf and Ryan Pruss. JR Neema Zarrabian also filled in at times and looked formidable, the line will not be an issue.

Williams vs. Wesleyan Week 8 next year could very well decide the NESCAC, however.

monjmafb

Quote from: Nescacman on November 29, 2019, 12:18:31 PM
Questions for the Ephs going into 2020:

Will HCOF Raymond be back for another year?

Why would Raymond leave?   Yes, he has turned the program around, but 3rd place is not exactly optimal.  And where would he go?   

Nescacman

Ephs resurgence=trouble in Blanketville

We think the early over/under line on the Eberth-less Lord Mammoths is 5 wins...we'll take the under...

nescac1

OL definitely suffers some big losses for Williams, but a projected line of Zapf-Watson-Rooney-Zarrabian-Freeman sounds rock-solid to me (and I note that Wesleyan, Midd, Amherst, and Trinity all suffer some big losses on the offensive line, as well).  Two all-league guys are returning, and as noted Freeman was slated to start at tackle, rather than Zapf, until his pre-season injury.  I like having three VERY experienced seniors (two of them multiple-year starters) in the middle of the line, since runs up the middle are the focus of the Williams offense, which has three very capable between-the-tackle runners (counting Maimaron).   Durability is a big question mark, however, as 3/5 guys have been very banged up, and also the depth is a question mark, although there were four other frosh OL this year who perhaps will be ready to make an impact with a year of experience.  Three of those frosh were a bit undersized and may be able to pack on some muscle in the off-season. 

The position of most concern to me on offense is actually H-Back.  Horihan was a unique player, he did so much for the offense as both a lead blocker, key pocket protector, and occasional sneaky receiver.  He seemed to basically take his man out on nearly every offensive play.  I have no idea who might be in line to replace him, or if Williams will switch to a different personnel look, perhaps with two traditional tight ends, or even one of the bigger TBs moving to a FB role, which could be interesting ...

As for Raymond, I have no reason to believe he'd leave anytime soon.  If he does have a higher-level opportunity in a few years, and it's just as likely to be someone like Civetti in all events, I think he's established a strong enough infrastructure and staff (and Williams has hopefully learned some hiring lessons) that it would be more like a Farley-Whalen transition, than a Whalen-Kelton one. 

Hawk196

Just to keep the off season discussion going (like other threads) here is an observation

Tufts Oline should be much better. They graduated 6 senior lineman in '18 and '19 had an all underclassmen playing Oline.

What are some observations with other NESCAC teams?

Nescacman

Quote from: Hawk196 on December 06, 2019, 12:55:01 PM
Just to keep the off season discussion going (like other threads) here is an observation

Tufts Oline should be much better. They graduated 6 senior lineman in '18 and '19 had an all underclassmen playing Oline.

What are some observations with other NESCAC teams?

Yes, but the Lord Jumbo's will have a new QB (for the second straight year)...and maybe a new HCOF?!?

SpringSt7

https://d3football.prestosports.com/awards/all-region/2019/d3football-all-east-region-2019

Bob Ritter has been named the East-Region Coach of the Year by d3football.com

Full list of NESCAC honorees:

First-Team:

T Austin Baiardi, Trinity

Second-Team:

CB Ben Thaw, Wesleyan
P Kenny Gray, Hamilton

Third-Team:

WR Frank Roche, Tufts
TE Frank Cosolito, Middlebury
G Bryce Jenkins, Wesleyan
LB Jack Pistorius, Middlebury
S Ben Anthony, Williams

Interesting group of selections to say the least--can't speak for the rest of the region, but definitely not how I would have ranked the NESCAC honorees.

nescac1

Like NESCAC coaches, I'd say the all-region awards tend to favor a combo of veteran (ideally senior) players combined with team success.  Given that, the selections are not terribly surprising ...