FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 10, 2019, 03:05:31 PM
Interesting group of selections to say the least--can't speak for the rest of the region, but definitely not how I would have ranked the NESCAC honorees.

How the NESCAC honorees rank is not the issue. The real question: How do the NESCAC honorees rank among other people in the region who play the same position?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Trin9-0

ESPN published a list of the top 150 college football coaches of all time and two NESCAC legends made the cut:

126. Jeff Devanney, 96-19
Trinity (2006-present)
Devanney has been nothing short of dominant since taking over as Trinity's head coach in December 2005, taking home NESCAC Coach of the Year honors four times in 14 seasons. His teams have gone undefeated three times, and they've won five conference titles.

138. Dick Farley, 114-19-3
Williams (1987-2003)
You want consistency? How about a 128-game streak without losing back-to-back games? What about sheer greatness? Can we interest you in six unbeaten seasons and four conference titles?
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

SpringSt7

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 10, 2019, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 10, 2019, 03:05:31 PM
Interesting group of selections to say the least--can't speak for the rest of the region, but definitely not how I would have ranked the NESCAC honorees.

How the NESCAC honorees rank is not the issue. The real question: How do the NESCAC honorees rank among other people in the region who play the same position?

A good point for sure, but interesting for the reason being how heavily team success tends to be weighted when it comes to postseason recognition. Ritter wins COY but only has 2 players from the 3rd team, Trinity comes in 4th and has the lone first-teamer, for example. But then again, we have talked all year about how the lack of eye-popping numbers on the top teams in the league made this an interesting season for awards.

maineman

Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 10, 2019, 04:35:06 PM
A good point for sure, but interesting for the reason being how heavily team success tends to be weighted when it comes to postseason recognition. Ritter wins COY but only has 2 players from the 3rd team, Trinity comes in 4th and has the lone first-teamer, for example. But then again, we have talked all year about how the lack of eye-popping numbers on the top teams in the league made this an interesting season for awards.
The eye popping number was 9-0.

lumbercat

Looking back on the year it was a different scenario this year in terms of dominant players. The RB position was not brimming with talent. Kudos to Richam at Bowdoin and the FY at Middlebury but not a lot in terms dominant RBs compared to past years.

At QB my vote who is for one Joe Willie Jernigan who once again furthered the dominance of the Middlebury aerial attack. Rumor had Joe Willie sitting alongside the Middlebury indoor pool a few days before the Tufts game guaranteeing a definite Panther win and NESCAC title in the season finale.
Houdini Ritter is on the phone as I type securing the next Panther rifle.

The best receiver in the league and most dominant offensive force was O'Reagan from Amherst. As good as I've seen in many years in the NESACAC. As good as the kid performed I thought EJ should have got more out of him but with his constant working of the refs maybe EJ lost some focus on the Jeffs offense. An off year for the mighty Jeffs.

Stop all the nonsense about Bowdoin padding stats and having no one else on Defense who could make a tackle. Gowetski was a dominant LB.

On the OL line I'll take the Trinity guy Bairadi.

Stola at Williams has to be the best pure playmaker in the league.

It was a very entertaining  year as the league gets just a little closer to parity but overall the talent level as a whole was down a bit this year.

footballluv

My son's college football career is over and he will be competing in a very different game come next season. This 4 year athletic experience (parent and student) with NESCAC Football ranks high for my son who played 3 sports over 19 years. Thanks for the great commentary, conflict, criticism and community. My enjoyment of this board was unexpected.
My older daughter and son played small college soccer, lacrosse, and baseball in other parts of the country in more traditionally organized leagues without this kind of informed dedicated interaction. This unique experience and the associated educational and professional opportunities have made me a one man NESCAC sports recruiting agency for the league.

Nescacman

Quote from: footballluv on December 12, 2019, 01:49:28 PM
My son's college football career is over and he will be competing in a very different game come next season. This 4 year athletic experience (parent and student) with NESCAC Football ranks high for my son who played 3 sports over 19 years. Thanks for the great commentary, conflict, criticism and community. My enjoyment of this board was unexpected.
My older daughter and son played small college soccer, lacrosse, and baseball in other parts of the country in more traditionally organized leagues without this kind of informed dedicated interaction. This unique experience and the associated educational and professional opportunities have made me a one man NESCAC sports recruiting agency for the league.

Can we buy you dinner? Luger's (Brooklyn) on us...

footballluv

Can we buy you dinner? Luger's (Brooklyn) on us...
[/quote]

Yes you can. Say when.

Dice Mafia

Devanney ranked higher than Dick Farley? Too bad ESPN doesn't take into account the low academic standards of Trinity

Hawk196

Quote from: Dice Mafia on December 13, 2019, 01:49:38 PM
Devanney ranked higher than Dick Farley? Too bad ESPN doesn't take into account the low academic standards of Trinity

Uh-Oh....

lumbercat

IslandTime

Dice Mafia coming in HOT!  ;D
Love it!

GOWES !!!

JEFFFAN

Absent the issue noted above, which I have commented on previously because it is factual, why wouldn't Farley be ranked higher to begin with since with the same number of losses (19) he has 18 more wins?  Farley should be ranked higher on just that standard.  Coming from a Jeffs fan ...

lumbercat

With those comments from the Wesleyan syndicate it can't be too much longer before we see a measured response from The Coop. Expect another launching of the GIF from Trin 8-0 unless he escalates things to include all time Trin- Wes stats etc.

I do know I don't want to be team that faces the Bants in the opener next year coming off a 5-4 year.

In the meantime the Bantams are signing recruits left and right while Houdini remains up in the Green Mountain State patiently stalking his next passing QB - he's got about 6 different guys on the hook and a couple of rangy receivers to boot. The rest of the conference prays they don't see the second coming of Mccallum Foote and that 6'5" TE who still linger in the nightmares of NESCAC DC's.

Everybody raves about coaches Mills, DiCenzo, Devanney and now Raymond at Williams. At the same time the coronation of Murray at Hamilton as the latest coaching mastermind is premature. I'll take Houdini all day long.

IslandTime

How has no one scooped up the Board name "Midd 9-0" yet?

IMO, would be worth starting your board legacy from scratch to be able to have that moniker.