MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMR

Josh recruited the outgoing Senior class.  That's good for transition, the current Seniors can reassure the current players and the recruits that the future is bright.  If he can even closely recruit students like the senior class, this will be special.  Home Run by Coach Burns!

2RMCFans

We are so pleased about Josh Merkel's return to R-MC men's basketball.  Apart from his strong connection to the program he also has other ties to the college-- a sister (Marta Merkel played for Coach LeHaye on the 2005 NCAA D-III runner-up team & was outstanding in the semi-final win over Scranton) and a brother are R-MC alums. 

Congrats to both Coach Merkel & to Coach Postiglione on their advancement.  Both have earned their spots.

The Davis family will be missed-- but congrats to them on their return to Bucknell.

GO JACKETS!!!!

hasanova

Good luck and welcome to both new HC's in the ODAC family.  I had breakfast with Coach Palombo this week and he talked about how you can be a very good team from a national perspective and still be 3rd in the ODAC.  Strong programs at the top force us all to be better!

givengo

FYI, and not that it makes any difference but Seretti had withdrawn from consideration.

CMR

Agreed, don't think it mattered, RMC got who they wanted.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: hasanova on May 01, 2015, 09:56:00 AM
Good luck and welcome to both new HC's in the ODAC family.  I had breakfast with Coach Palombo this week and he talked about how you can be a very good team from a national perspective and still be 3rd in the ODAC.  Strong programs at the top force us all to be better!

That is true of any of the 'power' conferences.  IWU, for example, has been to 6 FFs in the last twenty years - in only 2 of those 6 years did we win the CCIW!  And UWSP, who swept virtually unchallenged to this year's national title, was 2nd in the WIAC.

CMR

Lots of VWC recruits in this list (eight total), couple for RMC.

http://www.vantagehoops.com/virginia-2015-commitment-list#

Mr. Ypsi

Hasa (or whomever) - I spent a few minutes on the Guilford website tonite, and noticed than neither Ben Strong or Tyler Sanford was in the HoF - any story behind that?

hscathletics

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 06, 2015, 10:53:02 PM
Hasa (or whomever) - I spent a few minutes on the Guilford website tonite, and noticed than neither Ben Strong or Tyler Sanford was in the HoF - any story behind that?

Guilford requires student-athletes to be 10 years removed before they are eligible to be nominated. A fairly standard requirement, most schools seem to have a 7-10 year window. If the graduated the same year they were seniors on the basketball team, Sanborn will be eligible in 2020 and Strong in 2018.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: hscathletics on June 07, 2015, 05:44:13 PM

Guilford requires student-athletes to be 10 years removed before they are eligible to be nominated. A fairly standard requirement, most schools seem to have a 7-10 year window. If the graduated the same year they were seniors on the basketball team, Sanborn will be eligible in 2020 and Strong in 2018.

Thanks for the explanation.  I was confused by most pro sports having only a 5 year wait after retirement, and thought Ben at least must surely be eligible by now.

hasanova

All true statements from hscathletics ... I most certainly think both will be in the Guilford HOF ... both were National DIII PoY, Strong scored 59 in an NCAA playoff game and averaged over 20 ppg in his career and Sanborn went to the Final Four twice.

algernon

http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/Don-Don-Returns-Home-to-Coach-HHS-307737851.html

Don Burgess is staying in the Harrisonburg area, returning to his high school as its Basketball Head Coach.  Both he and his father are members of Harrisonburg High School's Athletic Hall of Fame, so Coach Burgess has very strong family connections to the Harrisonburg community.

algernon

Quote from: hasanova on June 09, 2015, 04:39:21 PM

All true statements from hscathletics ... I most certainly think both will be in the Guilford HOF ... both were National DIII PoY, Strong scored 59 in an NCAA playoff game and averaged over 20 ppg in his career and Sanborn went to the Final Four twice.

Don't forget that Sanborn not only made it to the Final Four twice, but also made it to Hampden-Sydney ...  :)

FanJacket

Ben Strong on the NY Knicks summer league roster this year.

hscathletics

Quote from: FanJacket on July 07, 2015, 01:57:09 PM
Ben Strong on the NY Knicks summer league roster this year.
And Brandon Adair will be a ref on Thursday for the Las Vegas NBA Summer League. Technically today now since it's past midnight. VWC Basketball twitter account said he won't know which game he will be assigned to until he gets there.

Games are on NBA TV, but in Vegas they play two games at a time, so you may not get to see either Strong or Adair unless you pay for the NBA Summer league Pass. Knicks first game is at 4:30 on Saturday and another game starts at 4, so I doubt the first Knicks game will be on NBA TV other than probably a cut in after the 4 pm game is over.