FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

I think the issue is that you could take any one of our 25 ballots and probably find some strange anomalies as well. That's why a true poll has a broad-based voter pool. Lindy's isn't a preseason poll -- it's a preseason ranking by one person. A poll requires multiple votes. :)

Even my individual ballot or Keith's will have some anomalies. That's why we don't have one-person rankings. And we follow Division III year-round, so that helps!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HSCTiger fan

That makes sense. I enjoy seeing the poll you guys put out each week. Like I said and most would agree D3Football.com is the authoritative source for D3 football. That doesn't change my mind that no one should feel guilt for mentioning a ranking on a message board.  My allegence lies with HSC but Guilford fans should certainly be proud of that type of recognition.  It's not going to win them any games but the ranking even if by one guy is nice.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on July 05, 2015, 11:53:26 PM
That makes sense. I enjoy seeing the poll you guys put out each week. Like I said and most would agree D3Football.com is the authoritative source for D3 football. That doesn't change my mind that no one should feel guilt for mentioning a ranking on a message board.  My allegence lies with HSC but Guilford fans should certainly be proud of that type of recognition.  It's not going to win them any games but the ranking even if by one guy is nice.
I think that's the spirit with which Guilford's fine SID, Dave Walters, distributed the Lindy's press release.  Historically, positive preseason predictions for Guilford football have been scarce, so he (and the school) are understandably excited about this season's prospects.  With 21 seniors and 19 starters coming off progressive 5-5, 6-4 and 8-2 seasons, there is considerable optimism.  Now, here's the reality, Guilford has never won an ODAC title outright (they've shared it a few times), they have never been to the NCAA football playoffs, they have never won more than 8 games in a season, the ODAC has never been considered a power conference and only once has an ODAC team made it all the way to the Stagg Bowl.  I and other Quaker fans are looking for a good season, but we (well, at least the more knowledgeable fans) have no illusions of where the Quakers are on the national stage.  It will be wonderful if we prove on the field that this is a team worthy of national recognition.

Go Quakers!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on July 05, 2015, 09:48:21 PM
I don't think you need to feel guilt for mentioning a team being recognized in a national publication.

Besides Lindy's Preseason Poll has faired well compared to D3Football's Preseason poll when considering how many finished the season ranked in the final D3 Top 25.

2014 Lindys had 17 preseason picks finish in D3's final 25. D3 had 15.
2013 Lindys had 13 preseason picks finish in D3's final 25. D3 had 14
2012 Lindys had 12 preseason picks finish in D3's final 25. D3 had 14

What does that mean?  I don't know, but think even casual fans could pick 6 of the top 10 in any given year without any research. I mean it's not going out on a limb to pick MU, UWW, MHB, Linfield, Wesley, or North Central. In the next 10 you might pick Wabash, Wittenberg,  John Hopkins, Wheaton, St Johns Fisher, Hobart and Widener.  There's 13 that are going to finish Top 25 most years. It seems to me that preseason polls are not much more than guessing regardless who is doing the picking.
I think that any of the best-acquainted 100 D3football fans/board posters could guess 10-15 of the Top 25 year in and year out.

Besides, you gotta buy Kickoff to find out who the real sleepers are in 2015!   ;)

sigma one

In the spirit of this discussion . . .(I have too much time on my hands.)
     Here are the Top 25 DIII football schools with the largest winning percentages from 2009-2014 (if I have all the percentages all exactly right, but in any case most of the cream of the crop of D III).  I chose 6 years because this reflects about 3 generations of players in their most mature years.  Also, the percentages are for all games, both regular season and playoffs.

1. UwWWhitewater               .965
              2. Mt Union                           944
              3. Mary Hardin-Baylor            910
              4. Linfield                              889
              5. St Thomas                         868
              6. Wesley                              863
              7. Wittenberg                         855
              8. Wabash                             848
              9. Thomas More                     846   
             10. North Central                    845

11. Johns Hopkins                   843
             12. Hobart                              813
                   Wheaton                           813
             14. Bethel                               797
             15. Delaware Valley                 783
             16. Wartburg                           772
             17. St John Fisher                    768
             18. Framingham St                  758
             19. Franklin                             750
                   Redlands                           750
                   St Scholastica                    750
             22. Washington & Jefferson       746
             23. Hampden-Sydney               742   
             24. Centre                               738
             25. Coe                                   734

You couldn't go wrong putting most of these teams somewhere in a Pre-Season Top 25. Then think about a few others who are on a several-season rise and are senior heavy.   

hasanova

Good work, sigma (+) one.  I enjoyed reviewing the winning percentages.

sigma one

While on my way to calculating percentages, I also found some other interesting information for hard-core DIII fans. 

1.  Nine teams had eight or more wins each year from 2009-2014:  Johns Hopkins, Linfield, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Mt Union, North Central, St Thomas, Wabash, Wesley, Wittenberg.  Recall the weirdness of UWWhitewater being 7-3 in 2012 and missing the playoffs.
      2.  28 teams had all-winning seasons from 2009-2014.  By this I mean that in each of those seasons these teams finished above .500 every year (NO fifty-fifty seasons):  Bethel, Centre, Delaware Valley, Franklin, Greenville, Hampden-Sydney, Hobart, Huntingdon, Johns Hopkins, Linfield, Louisiana  College, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Mt Union, North Central, Norwich, Redlands, St John Fisher, St Norbert, St Thomas, Thomas More, Ursinus, UWWhitewater, Wabash, Wartburg, Washington & Jefferson, Wesley, Wheaton, Wittenberg.
      3. Only five teams had two or fewer losses every year from 2009-2014:  Linfield, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Mt Union, Wabash, Wittenberg.
      4. Twenty-four teams had no winning seasons (this includes no season(s) as good as .500) during this period.  I will not bother to list them. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: sigma one on July 07, 2015, 08:53:35 AM
While on my way to calculating percentages, I also found some other interesting information for hard-core DIII fans. 

1.  Nine teams had eight or more wins each year from 2009-2014:  Johns Hopkins, Linfield, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Mt Union, North Central, St Thomas Wabash, Wesley, Wittenberg.  Recall the weirdness of UWWhitewater being 7-3 in 2012 and missing the playoffs.
      2.  28 teams had all-winning seasons from 2009-2014.  By this I mean that in each of those seasons these teams finished above .500 every year (NO fifty-fifty seasons):  Bethel, Centre, Delaware Valley, Franklin, Greenville, Hampden-Sydney, Hobart, Huntingdon, Johns Hopkins, Linfield, Louisiana  College, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Mt Union, North Central, Norwich, Redlands, St John Fisher, St Norbert, St Thomas, Thomas More, Ursinus, UWWhitewater, Wabash, Wartburg, Washington & Jefferson, Wesley, Wheaton, Wittenberg.
      3. Only five teams had two or fewer losses every year from 2009-2014:  Linfield, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Mt Union, Wabash, Wittenberg.
      4. Twenty-four teams had no winning seasons (this includes no season(s) as good as .500) during this period.  I will not bother to list them.
Here it is, July 7th.

The hard core fans are reading these boards, holding out for Fall.

We counting the days. The statistically oriented of us are delving into new evaluations of the webpages on and linked to these boards.

It is that time of year when we need to step back and remember the 12 Steps of D3fandom.

"Hello, my name is [recite your name].

I am addicted to D3football."

hasanova

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 07, 2015, 02:02:30 PM

1.  Nine teams had eight or more wins each year from 2009-2014:  Johns Hopkins, Linfield, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Mt Union, North Central, St Thomas Wabash, Wesley, Wittenberg.  Recall the weirdness of UWWhitewater being 7-3 in 2012 and missing the playoffs.
Here it is, July 7th.

We counting the days. The statistically oriented of us are delving into new evaluations of the webpages on and linked to these boards.

It is that time of year when we need to step back and remember the 12 Steps of D3fandom.

(In unison) Hello, Ralph.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 07, 2015, 02:02:30 PM

Here it is, July 7th.

That's appropriate. July 7 is our birthday. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hasanova

Guilford (24), Bridgewater (9) and Hampden-Sydney (1) all getting points in the D3football preseason top 25 ... no ODAC team was in the Top 25, but I appreciate the love.  :)

HSCTiger fan

Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

HSCTigerForLife

Awesome video!  HSC does a great job with their recruiting videos!

regaleagle

Everybody getting stoked. Coaches pre season poll and interviews sound about right. Guilford should get the nod with all the starters returning. After that it's just a dead heat. I don't see a pushover on the schedule. Still the most balanced conference in D3.

hasanova

Since Head Coaches cannot vote for their own team, I see Coach Rusiewicz gave HSC the nod at #1.  I expected GC to be on top in the preseason, but, wow, how close with BC, EHC and HSC all with 35 points.  Hope it's a great season!