MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodknight

While we're lamenting the absence of Mitch Takens, I'll also observe a moment of anguished silence for the best basketball player at Calvin College, Connor VanderBrug, who for the second straight year has chosen not to play for the Knights. This would be a formidable team with him in the mix. Here's hoping the Bykerk kid can provide some shot blocking on the defensive end, and an estimable post presence on the offense. It will also be interesting to see how the back court sorts out. Can Calvin work its way back into contention for a berth in the post-season MIAA four-team tourney?

maroonandgold

Quote from: maroonandgold on October 25, 2016, 09:10:11 AM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 25, 2016, 08:51:51 AM
Calvin's roster has been posted as well:

http://calvinknights.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/roster

As oldknight mentioned in the offseason, Austin Bykerk has transferred from Dordt. He played in 31 games last year and started 18.

Gone from the roster are Nick Goeglein and Jacob Ray.

I like the balance of players at the various positions, and heights and between the freshman, sophomore, and junior classes.  Although there are only 2 seniors, the number of underclassmen looks good for the future.  But it is especially good to see a number of hopefully skilled players and experience at every position because there have been recent years in which the strength was all settled in the forward and center positions and the team had to struggle, often using natural forwards at shooting guard and then, more recently were stronger at the guard positions and had to use natural guards to fill the shooting forward position.  This balance definitely appears better. 

It is interesting that in recent years there appears to be a much better amount of height around the league.  At one time is seemed to me that only Hope and Calvin seemed to be acquiring taller players.  In this years team list, I think there are other teams that have as much or even more height.

Correction!  I see that there are actually 4 seniors on the squad, too.  So it is perfectly balanced over the 4 classes.  But I do suspect at least 2 of the seniors will have to fight to receive a good amount of playing time.  The players who had been on the varsity and are no longer there were ones who were really having a  problem getting  playing time.  Have they left the school, or were they unable to make the team?

HopeKnight

Quote from: HOPEful on October 25, 2016, 11:24:58 AM
Quote from: sac on October 24, 2016, 04:59:12 PM
Hope's rosters
Varsity:  http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/mbkb/2016-17/roster
JV:   http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/mbkb/2016-17/jvroster

Freshman Riley Lewis and Sophomores Pete Smith and Teddy Ray... I think all three will get a shot to play, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them is starting by the end of the season.

Sophomore Robert McGivney made the team... What do we expect from him? Is he still a work in progress but fills a dire depth need being 6'6" and 210?

I'm excited to see Teddy Ray play. The potential to stretch the floor with him and Cody could be fun to watch. With also having some guards who can take it to the hoop, it would be nice to dish it to Harrison and Keith naturally  instead of having to force it so much.

McGivney can play - good rebounder, defender with range out to 17 feet. Will mix it up underneath.

Pete Smith has sick handles and is very strong and quick - he will get some time.

Teddy Ray has good length and a smooth stroke - should benefit from Smith & Dante dribble penetration. Dante has also added some range on his shot & will have a huge year.

JV team will also be very good - both teams loaded with talent.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: oldknight on November 20, 2015, 12:42:29 PM
When KnightSlappy runs his numbers at the end of the season, I expect Wilks will prove to have one of the highest efficiency scoring numbers on the team.

This was true, by the way. In terms of points per weighted shot, Calvin's top three most efficient scorers last year were:

Nate Drews: 1.19
Jordan Daley: 1.16
Michael Wilks: 1.12

Calvin's team average was 1.04 last year. That's their second-worst mark in my records of the last 14 years. 2012 was worse (1.02), but scoring was up in D3 last year so it might be comparable when adjusting for scoring environment.

oldknight

Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 26, 2016, 09:56:13 AM
When KnightSlappy runs his numbers at the end of the season, I expect Wilks will prove to have one of the highest efficiency scoring numbers on the team.

This was true, by the way. In terms of points per weighted shot, Calvin's top three most efficient scorers last year were:

Calvin's team average was 1.04 last year. That's their second-worst mark in my records of the last 14 years. 2012 was worse (1.02), but scoring was up in D3 last year so it might be comparable when adjusting for scoring environment.

My goodness KS. You have a long memory. 8-) :o

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: oldknight on October 26, 2016, 01:45:04 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 26, 2016, 09:56:13 AM

My goodness KS. You have a long memory. 8-) :o

That's what she said?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sac

Olivet Rosters:

Varsity:  http://olivetcomets.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/roster

JV:  http://olivetcomets.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/jv-roster

Pretty much the same cast as last season as expected with a handful of new names I don't know much about.  A JC transfer or two in there.  Schedules don't line up very well for me to see them before the tournament in Holland, unless I want to see Earlham.

shknowsbest

I see PJ Trammell is on the olivet roster, he is a tough player. 

shknowsbest

I didn't see Cornerstone getting beat by Spring Arbor at home, and now they have to play the defending national champs.

sac

Quote from: shknowsbest on October 29, 2016, 03:45:31 PM
I didn't see Cornerstone getting beat by Spring Arbor at home, and now they have to play the defending national champs.

Cornerstone 90  Indiana Wesleyan 83
AQ, SAU, IWU, Cornerstone each went 1-1 on the weekend.

HOPEful

Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 31, 2016, 08:08:25 AM
D3hoops preseason poll is out with Alma (14) and Hope (22) featured.
http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/men/2016-17/preseason

14 seems high for a Nikodemski-less and Beckman-less Alma team. That's their 3 leading scorers last year! I think that Gernaat and Fairchild will keep this team a contender in a down MIAA (no Holmquist, no Daley, no Benson, no Gardner, no Covile, no Jackson...)

Does anyone see the MIAA getting more than 1 team in the playoffs this season? I think maybe Hope if they don't win the MIAA tournament... But if the over/under was 1.5, I think I'd bet the under... :/
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: HOPEful on October 31, 2016, 08:47:21 AM

14 seems high for a Nikodemski-less and Beckman-less Alma team. That's their 3 leading scorers last year! I think they'll  Gernaat and Fairchild will keep this team a contender in a down MIAA (no Holmquist, no Daley, no Benson, no Gardner, no Covile, no Jackson...)

Does anyone see the MIAA getting more than 1 team in the playoffs this season? I think maybe Hope if they don't win the MIAA tournament... But if the over/under was 1.5, I think I'd bet the under... :/

I agree, Alma is high.  I'm guessing its a function of lots of people putting them at #20.  We'll see.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

KnightSlappy

Quote from: HOPEful on October 31, 2016, 08:47:21 AM

14 seems high for a Nikodemski-less and Beckman-less Alma team. That's their 3 leading scorers last year! I think they'll  Gernaat and Fairchild will keep this team a contender in a down MIAA (no Holmquist, no Daley, no Benson, no Gardner, no Covile, no Jackson...)

The 10-year average for MIAA teams in the tournament is 1.3. The tournament will expand from 62 to 64 teams this year, however, so we'll get a couple extra cracks at Pool C. I think the MIAA (particularly Calvin) would have benefited from a 64-team field once or twice in the last decade.