MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calvin_grad

According to the Holland Sentinel article, Overway has a "broken broke" in his left foot.  Sounds serious.   :P

All kidding aside, it's tough to see anyone finish their career on the bench due to an injury.  You always want to play your rival with their full compliment of players.  Hopefully he'll be able to be back on the court before the end of the year. 

calvinite

I don't want to rehash the whole playing time discussion thing again, and I am NOT suggesting Coach Neil played Overway too much. When I read the Sentinel's article on Overway and read that Colton led the team in playing time, I did wonder about the correlation between playing time and injuries. My own, very limited, non-basketball athletic experience led me to think that injuries are more likely to occur when athletes are tired (EVEN THOUGH injuries can occur ANYTIME and ANYWHERE--a varsity girls basketball player at the high school where I teach broke her foot a couple weeks ago getting out of her car when she slipped on the ice).

I did a quick Google search, and it seems like there is evidence to support this. Here's just one quote: "In recent years, many collegiate programs have experienced an increase in the participation time of their athletes. This increase in participation results in greater exposure (chance for injury)" from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC385263/. The main point being that most injuries do occur in actual game competition rather than practice or getting out of one's car. The more one plays, the more likely there is an injury. Add to that the fact that fatigue is a factor, even if a small factor, and it seems clear that athletes that play a lot are more likely, even if it's by a small amount, to get injured more.

Not even sure this is a reason to limit playing time of your top athletes, but I thought it relevant.
Knights!

"I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university."
― Albert Einstein

ziggy

Quote from: calvinite on January 29, 2013, 07:17:02 AM
I don't want to rehash the whole playing time discussion thing again, and I am NOT suggesting Coach Neil played Overway too much. When I read the Sentinel's article on Overway and read that Colton led the team in playing time, I did wonder about the correlation between playing time and injuries. My own, very limited, non-basketball athletic experience led me to think that injuries are more likely to occur when athletes are tired (EVEN THOUGH injuries can occur ANYTIME and ANYWHERE--a varsity girls basketball player at the high school where I teach broke her foot a couple weeks ago getting out of her car when she slipped on the ice).

I did a quick Google search, and it seems like there is evidence to support this. Here's just one quote: "In recent years, many collegiate programs have experienced an increase in the participation time of their athletes. This increase in participation results in greater exposure (chance for injury)" from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC385263/. The main point being that most injuries do occur in actual game competition rather than practice or getting out of one's car. The more one plays, the more likely there is an injury. Add to that the fact that fatigue is a factor, even if a small factor, and it seems clear that athletes that play a lot are more likely, even if it's by a small amount, to get injured more.

Not even sure this is a reason to limit playing time of your top athletes, but I thought it relevant.

Then Michigan and Trey Burke are screwed.

Happy Calvin Guy

First, I feel terrible for Colton Overway.  He's one of my favorite Hope players I've ever watched, both in his playing style and how he conducts himself, and clearly carrying this team this year.  What's gotta hurt even more is how this season has gone so far for the Dutchmen and that it is his senior year.  Seems like he continues to have a great attitude and perspective, but I feel for him right now.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Regarding his likely replacement, I think that Gardner has definitely shown some flashes of being a good point guard in this league, but the one game I've seen him live (Hope at Calvin) he was absolutely abused by Bryan Powell.  When you're 5'11", you have to be quick, and Powell was able to drive past him at will.  See http://vimeo.com/57637835 at 0:55, 1:04, and to a lesser degree 1:18.  I'm surprised some broken ankles weren't part of the injury report that night....

calvinite

Quote from: ziggy on January 29, 2013, 08:38:27 AM
Then Michigan and Trey Burke are screwed.

UM has (mostly) televised games with more time outs and less fatigue.... let's hope enough to negate the 35+ minutes Burke plays per game. Besides, Burke never seems to be fatigued....

Knights!

"I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university."
― Albert Einstein

cdcaa

scottiedawg

This is purely anecdotal, and I have no idea what the cause may be (more prone, works way harder, random, etc), but I've seen Colton cramp up quite a lot, more than other players.

In Hope's 2nd rd NCAA game versus Augie a few years back Colton cramped up again and again. He and Will Bowser turned in some of gutsiest performances I've ever seen from a Hope player.

sflzman

Quote from: hoopdreams on January 28, 2013, 11:03:28 PM
My heart breaks and thoughts go out to Overway if he cannot come back, even if it's just a brief check in for some closure.  No one wishes an injury on anyone, especially a quality high character kid.  My guess is that you will his teammates rally together for him....it's what generally happens when a brother (especially the ones you really care about) goes down.  Adrian had better be prepared for something "extra" inside the Devos

Watching it happen was sickening. And then the fact that he tried to get back up and attempt to play defense has to be a testament to what kind of player, kid, and hard worker he is. I hope the best for him and his recovery. It's really a tough loss for the Dutchmen.
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

arena

Quote from: sflzman on January 29, 2013, 04:58:45 PM
Quote from: hoopdreams on January 28, 2013, 11:03:28 PM
My heart breaks and thoughts go out to Overway if he cannot come back, even if it's just a brief check in for some closure.  No one wishes an injury on anyone, especially a quality high character kid.  My guess is that you will his teammates rally together for him....it's what generally happens when a brother (especially the ones you really care about) goes down.  Adrian had better be prepared for something "extra" inside the Devos

Watching it happen was sickening. And then the fact that he tried to get back up and attempt to play defense has to be a testament to what kind of player, kid, and hard worker he is. I hope the best for him and his recovery. It's really a tough loss for the Dutchmen.
What did he do?  Step on someone's foot?  Land on it awkwardly?

sac

Quote from: arena on January 29, 2013, 05:03:08 PM

It happened on a fast break, in traffic.  My initial thought was he stepped on someone's foot but it was hard to tell. 

sflzman

Quote from: sac on January 29, 2013, 05:10:57 PM

It happened on a fast break, in traffic.  My initial thought was he stepped on someone's foot but it was hard to tell.

From my point of view it seemed like he tried to make a move between a couple defenders and just twisted it up himself.
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: sflzman on January 29, 2013, 05:16:02 PM
Quote from: sac on January 29, 2013, 05:10:57 PM

From my point of view it seemed like he tried to make a move between a couple defenders and just twisted it up himself.

"I planted my foot to cut and it just went" is how I heard him describe it.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

HopeConvert

I can speak authoritatively on this: West Michigan has some danged good foot doctors. You'd be amazed at how fast an athlete can come back from a very bad injury.
One Mississippi, Two Mississippi...

hoopdreams

2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion