FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumbercat

AMH63
Thanks for the heads up on the Middlebury recruiting class. They are later than the other NESCAC programs in announcing but on first brush it looks like a good group. I note 2 QBs on the list..... No doubt Houdini has brought in great talent at the QB position again this year. I'll have to check them out further.

I believe only Bowdoin and Williams remain silent on the class of 2022. I guess JB electing for a shroud of secrecy this year. I have seen a partial list and JB got some good ones. No detail on Williams beyond a short lis of names.

No word from the Polar Bear bunker since the hiring of Michaeles. Still scratching my head over that hire. Maybe the 2 can secure the CBB trophy working together.

I hear nothing but raves about Leopard transfer QB McCrum who worked his way to #2 QB on the Lafayette depth chart at one point prior to some coaching changes in the program. New coach brought in his own guys, McCrum saw the handwriting on the wall and high tailed it for Brunswick.

polbear73

LumberCat-My lines into Brunswick haven't been any more active than yours other than the fact that Bowdoin needed to replace assistants Sapp and Leotti quickly and that Michaeles, an experienced coach who was local became available and fit within budget guidelines.  He obviously knows NESCAC and probably the Bowdoin players via recruiting, so it was a convenient and expedient hire.  Time will tell if it will be more than that.  It's hard to tell how influential he'll be as quarterbacks coach and passing coordinator as I'm told that Tim Viall will continue to call offensive plays. 

lumbercat

Polbear73-
I guess time will tell but I know they are ecstatic to land transfer McCrum which is obviously the big news in Brunswick.

polbear73

I've heard good things about him too, Lumbercat and, like you, have also heard good things about the recruiting class although I've only seen a short list published by the NE Elite football camp, from which Bowdoin received something like 7 or 8. 

lumbercat

I posted an early list of 18 or 19 back in March.

polbear73

Thanks, On March 30th. The other list I saw were on your early list.

NBC93

I am new to the NESCAC but I am loving this conference! Its kind of tough to measure it against others but from looking at the quality of the recruits that the schools are releasing, its obvious this is a premier D3 organization. With sites like Hudl and MaxPreps, the average fan like me can do a little free research and get a ton of information. For instance, I started with Amherst and watched the highlights of their incoming WRs and RBs. Looks like some tough talent.
I am looking forward to my first year as a CAC watcher.
What do I need to know about this league?

amh63

Welcome aboard, NBC93.  Any personal connection to any conference schools?
In any case, suggest several areas to become more familiar with the conference...if you haven't done  so to date.  First, read some of the past posts here on this football board and on other CAC sports boards.  Note, I use CAC to mean Nescac.
There is also the Nescac.org site to get more familiar with the schools and follow along with the student athletes featured, etc.  Going to particular conference athletic websites during the pre season and season, one can pick up much more info/flavor of the teams in any sports in season.

NBC93

Amh63,
Thanks for the info and I will check out those sites. I have scoped out quite a few posts on this board.
As far as a personal connection, my son is an incoming freshman at Amherst. He was recruited as a running back but here in Michigan he split time as a blocking fullback and a wide reciver. Weird combo, I know. He is excited to be a part of the CAC tradition.

amh63

Lots of posters today.  Maybe old news to many here, but see on the Bowdoin site that all Fall sports schedules have been released.  Bowdoin's fine new football all stadium will host five games.  The big boys of last season, Williams, Amherst, Tufts and Trinity will enjoy the local Fall weather early.  Tough early schedule for the Polar Bears....Ephs, Panthers and the LJs in the first three games.  Yes, I'm a non convert to the "offical" Amherst mascot.  One of my class reunion gifts...my 55th reunion...was a "baseball" cap with Lord Jeff's, 1963 on the back. ;D.  Class formal dinner on Sat. started out with the singing of the short lived banned song...before the arrival of the Prez later.  Money does talk during the start of a new Campaign for money.  I am digressing again. 

gridiron

Amh63--I believe Colby continues to have the toughest schedule out of the gate.  Trinity, Williams, Middlebury, Wesleyan and Amherst.

amh63

gridiron....cannot dispute your point.  Speaking of Colby football.....their 2018 roster has been posted.  If my counting is correct....only 70 players listed by their new HC with 22 Freshmen.  Noticed that jersey number "1" has not been assigned.  New HC has spots to fill for next season....bringing in a BIG recruiting class?.
Just some random thoughts on a warm/hot summer day awaiting a fix to my central air aconditioning unit :-[.  Cooler Maine thoughts has me surfing the CCB websites.

gridiron

Since the new Colby HC was hired in January, he had zero impact on the recruiting class for this season. However, efforts since should hopefully positively impact future seasons. Any improvements to the team this coming season will be the direct result of different training techniques and overall changes  in coaching philosophies. In other words, getting the absolute most out of the players. Should be interesting to watch.

ColbyFootball

Quote from: gridiron on July 11, 2018, 06:12:44 PM
Since the new Colby HC was hired in January, he had zero impact on the recruiting class for this season. However, efforts since should hopefully positively impact future seasons. Any improvements to the team this coming season will be the direct result of different training techniques and overall changes  in coaching philosophies. In other words, getting the absolute most out of the players. Should be interesting to watch.
I have very modest hopes and expectations for the new HC's first year. If Colby can win 3 games and scare a few top teams in 1-2 games, I believe that would be a giant step in the right direction. Just the change in coaching is addition by subtraction. Michaeles was a terrible HC and a terrible influence on the offense. The fact that Bowdoin threw him a coaching bone means nothing. What is much more telling is that his alma mater had a HC opening and didn't even give him a look. That says it all for me. But then again, I saw first had how awful a coach Michaeles was, so I'm not at all surprised. I am very happy for the Colby players and the program having this fresh start. And the AD is great. Now lets win those 3 games and really scare some teams. Go Mules!!!

footballluv

The new leader at Colby has made a difference in several areas. Changes have been immediate and  in some case offer a stark contrast to the last coaching regime. It will show on the field immediately. I contend the talent difference in this league and especially at this level of play is not significant. This leader will pay dividends and this board will see it right away. Colby will be a story right away and for all the right reasons. Save this and remind me about what I've said. Summer is calling. Bye Felicia!