FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: wabco on September 08, 2014, 04:34:47 PM
First, it was a great weekend for Wabash and HSC to play each other.  When the President of the NCAA shows up to flip the coin, that says something.  HSC has a great QB to Receiver combo.  And the O line learned something about facing a strong defense which will redound to their benefit as the year goes on.  Question:  with a QB and receiver who are outstanding and very capable of getting out of a hole ... why would you puch kick on 3rd down from the 4 yard line rather than go with your "go to" 2 guys on 3rd down?  You have demonstrated the talent of both receiver and QB on throws of 10 yards or further.  Why not call a pass play of 10+ yards and see if you could not get yardage after catch?  A quick pass of 10+ yards is a bread and butter (or should be) play and quick enough that Wabash would (probably) not be able to sack the QB ... or else the QB could throw it away.  A 4th down kick would have gotten you want the puch kick got.  Just seems to me it sent a message of "we are in deep ka ka now" to the whole team ... I know Wabash would not have done that.  Is that a play which generally works better?  I thought that looked like a very bad choice for  team morale with little or no upside.

Any insight as to why that would be done?

Welcome to Marty ball... About once a game you just have to scratch your head and wonder. Sometimes it looks brilliant, sometimes it just leaves you gaping. But Coach Favret has brought HSC a long way and seems to have them consistently at the top of the conference. So as an ODAC opponent you just tip your head and say, "yep, Marty ball" and hope that next time it's a punt on 3rd down and not something that bites you in the rear instead.

CUACARD59

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 06, 2014, 07:23:44 AM
Wow!  Has someone checked to see if our new buddy CUACARD is ok?  Or Pat, for that matter?

Seriously, ouch.  Flipping through the game summary, it looked like CUA was in the clear after the fumble recovery with a 31-14 lead in the fourth.  And then, incredibly, after giving up the 17-point lead and going down with 26 seconds to go, they managed to get into position to attempt a tying FG that missed.  What a gut-punch loss.

Kudos to McDaniel.

I'm okay...barely! Tough loss for a CUA team that dominated McDaniel for most of the game. Always a bad loss when you have 530+ yards of offense and pitch a first half shut out. To be optimistic though, I knew going in this was a young team that would take it's lumps. There was a lot of positives and some negatives that hopefully experience can help fix. Tutone, Calvo and the CUA offense looked strong save the turnovers which all came at the absolute worst times including a fumble returned for a TD, a pick in the endzone and another costly interception with CUA up 3 and about 3 to play. I was very impressed with the offensive line play and hope that is a strength CUA can lean on again this year. CUA also had a 60 yard TD rush called back from sophomore Matt McMahon who takes some snaps at QB and plays WR for the Cards. He was great with the ball all game and hope he can build on that and have a great year. Defensively, the Cards played well until McDaniel brought in freshmen Tayahd Campbell. Campbell did not play until the second half where he had 111 yards on 11 carries and a TD. Woof. This will not be the last time hearing his name. He completely changed the game and the Cards had no answer for him as McDaniel was then able to move the ball running between the tackles. Going into the dreaded week 2 bye, hopefully Catholic can build on these strong points, correct some of the errors early on, beat the next 2 weak out of conference opponents and be ready for ODAC conference play.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: CUACARD59 on September 08, 2014, 05:30:39 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 06, 2014, 07:23:44 AM
Wow!  Has someone checked to see if our new buddy CUACARD is ok?  Or Pat, for that matter?

Seriously, ouch.  Flipping through the game summary, it looked like CUA was in the clear after the fumble recovery with a 31-14 lead in the fourth.  And then, incredibly, after giving up the 17-point lead and going down with 26 seconds to go, they managed to get into position to attempt a tying FG that missed.  What a gut-punch loss.

Kudos to McDaniel.

I'm okay...barely! Tough loss for a CUA team that dominated McDaniel for most of the game. Always a bad loss when you have 530+ yards of offense and pitch a first half shut out. To be optimistic though, I knew going in this was a young team that would take it's lumps. There was a lot of positives and some negatives that hopefully experience can help fix. Tutone, Calvo and the CUA offense looked strong save the turnovers which all came at the absolute worst times including a fumble returned for a TD, a pick in the endzone and another costly interception with CUA up 3 and about 3 to play. I was very impressed with the offensive line play and hope that is a strength CUA can lean on again this year. CUA also had a 60 yard TD rush called back from sophomore Matt McMahon who takes some snaps at QB and plays WR for the Cards. He was great with the ball all game and hope he can build on that and have a great year. Defensively, the Cards played well until McDaniel brought in freshmen Tayahd Campbell. Campbell did not play until the second half where he had 111 yards on 11 carries and a TD. Woof. This will not be the last time hearing his name. He completely changed the game and the Cards had no answer for him as McDaniel was then able to move the ball running between the tackles. Going into the dreaded week 2 bye, hopefully Catholic can build on these strong points, correct some of the errors early on, beat the next 2 weak out of conference opponents and be ready for ODAC conference play.

I agree, I don't know his size, but he gave McDaniel a big spark and there was no answer for him. I am sure if CUA would have played McDaniel this week it may not have gone any different.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: wabco on September 08, 2014, 04:34:47 PM
First, it was a great weekend for Wabash and HSC to play each other.  When the President of the NCAA shows up to flip the coin, that says something.  HSC has a great QB to Receiver combo.  And the O line learned something about facing a strong defense which will redound to their benefit as the year goes on.  Question:  with a QB and receiver who are outstanding and very capable of getting out of a hole ... why would you puch kick on 3rd down from the 4 yard line rather than go with your "go to" 2 guys on 3rd down?  You have demonstrated the talent of both receiver and QB on throws of 10 yards or further.  Why not call a pass play of 10+ yards and see if you could not get yardage after catch?  A quick pass of 10+ yards is a bread and butter (or should be) play and quick enough that Wabash would (probably) not be able to sack the QB ... or else the QB could throw it away.  A 4th down kick would have gotten you want the puch kick got.  Just seems to me it sent a message of "we are in deep ka ka now" to the whole team ... I know Wabash would not have done that.  Is that a play which generally works better?  I thought that looked like a very bad choice for  team morale with little or no upside.

Any insight as to why that would be done?

Some discussion of this on NCAC board:

my thoughts

1) Wabash had just sacked Nance the play before. A safety was a very real possibility.

2) It was 3rd and very long, the odds of picking it up were not good even with two talented guys. 3rd and forever at midfield is one thing. 3rd and forever at your own 4 yard line the play after a sack is another

3) the quick kick netted them 49 yard with no return. If they go for 3rd down, miss, they are punting from their own endzone and Wabash has the option to come for a block or set up a return, and they're likely to start on the plus side of midfield.

I normally favor aggressive approaches on 3rd down, but here the rather small chance of picking up that 3rd and long probably didn't merit the risk of a safety, pick-six, or blocked punt, all of which were very real outcomes. They came out with the second-best possible outcome (the best obviously being a first down) by punting it and making Wabash start at midfield.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

CUACARD59

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on September 08, 2014, 08:01:32 PM
I agree, I don't know his size, but he gave McDaniel a big spark and there was no answer for him. I am sure if CUA would have played McDaniel this week it may not have gone any different.

No disrespect to McDaniel because they came away with the win and that's all that counts, but I feel that if CUA and McDaniel played again this week it's more likely that CUA blows them out then loses again. McDaniel needed a lot of crazy things to go their way (i.e. CUA TD run called back then next play fumble recovery TD, pick in the endzone, pick w/ 3 minutes to go, CUA missed field goal). And again all those things did happen so kudos to McDaniel but watching the game you saw the better team fall apart

hasanova

Congratulations to Quaker kicker Tyler Hunt on his Team of the Week recognition - against Greensboro, he punted three times for a 49.3 average and kicked a FG in Guilford's 52-0 win.

jknezek

Ready for the game this weekend. Just finished cutting some Tridents out of posterboard to tape to the sides of the motor home at the tailgate. Menu is set and ingredients bought.  Family friends are confirmed to join us for their first D3 game and camping spot for Friday night has been found. Parking next to the W&L tailgate has been arranged. Now if only the rain will hold off, for the first time ever at Sewanee, I'll be thrilled. Here's hoping the Generals can take their 18th of the last 20 from the Tigers and get on a winning track.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on September 10, 2014, 10:00:59 PM
Ready for the game this weekend. Just finished cutting some Tridents out of posterboard to tape to the sides of the motor home at the tailgate. Menu is set and ingredients bought.  Family friends are confirmed to join us for their first D3 game and camping spot for Friday night has been found. Parking next to the W&L tailgate has been arranged. Now if only the rain will hold off, for the first time ever at Sewanee, I'll be thrilled. Here's hoping the Generals can take their 18th of the last 20 from the Tigers and get on a winning track.

Here's to hoping the second weekend of 2014 is not like the same as last year. Have you seen any pictures of the Fog Bowl? Couldn't see past the hashes.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on September 10, 2014, 10:17:34 PM

Here's to hoping the second weekend of 2014 is not like the same as last year. Have you seen any pictures of the Fog Bowl? Couldn't see past the hashes.

I've seen the pics. Hoping not to experience. 5 times I've gone to Sewanee. 5 times I've gotten soaked. It just seems that kind of place.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on September 11, 2014, 08:31:51 AM

I've seen the pics. Hoping not to experience. 5 times I've gone to Sewanee. 5 times I've gotten soaked. It just seems that kind of place.
"Welcome to the mountain" as they say in Tennessee.  Yeah, I know it's technically a "plateau".  lol

Scots13

Quote from: hasanova on September 11, 2014, 04:46:43 PM
Quote from: jknezek on September 11, 2014, 08:31:51 AM

"Welcome to the mountain" as they say in Tennessee.  Yeah, I know it's technically a "plateau".  lol

Maryville's alma mater reads "Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue..." But really the school is in the valley and the mountains are several miles away. Tennessee basically east of Nashville all claim the mountains.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on September 11, 2014, 06:43:15 PM

Maryville's alma mater reads "Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue..." But really the school is in the valley and the mountains are several miles away. Tennessee basically east of Nashville all claim the mountains.

yeah. I'm not looking forward to pulling the grade up or down around Monteagle in the old motor home. It always gives me the creeps about boiling my brakes. Every trip up there causes me to fine tooth the brake system before we leave. That grade and the one on I40 north of Asheville give me the willies on the East Coast. Things you worry about when driving a large, old, heavy vehicle...

wally_wabash

Good luck tomorrow, Tigers.  Win by 60.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

tigerfanalso

Wally

Thanks. If our OL has grown up this week I think the Tigers will do well. Good luck to your Lg's as well. Hopefully after week 11
our only lose will be to a 10-0 Wabash team.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: jknezek on September 12, 2014, 09:40:57 AM
Quote from: Scots13 on September 11, 2014, 06:43:15 PM

yeah. I'm not looking forward to pulling the grade up or down around Monteagle in the old motor home. It always gives me the creeps about boiling my brakes. Every trip up there causes me to fine tooth the brake system before we leave. That grade and the one on I40 north of Asheville give me the willies on the East Coast. Things you worry about when driving a large, old, heavy vehicle...

Wait 'til you hit I-77 just north of the NC/Va. state line, especially if you're southbound.  :o
TANSTAAFL