BB: Player of the Year Candidates

Started by Jim Dixon, October 24, 2007, 04:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Any thoughts who might make a splash in 2008 and come out as player of the year. 

I have a poll on d3baseball.com but can only list 8 players.  Who did I leave off?  Who should have been left off?  I did not consider pitchers - leaving that for another day.

OldHasBeen

Jonas Fester...SS....Hopkins, 1st teamer last season at short....national record for doubles in a season...look for big things as a senior

infielddad

Jim,
While I haven't seen him play, I am familiar with the level of his competition.
The stats that Daniel Vanaman of Rhodes has put up over two years suggests he is  someone who merits consideration if he continues to show improvement as a senior.

Tom Brady

I think Yacko has a pretty good chance as well, and he will only be playing his junior season.  He was lights out on the mound this summer and had a very strong year at the plate last year.  Sounds like some pretty good players on that list.

Jim Dixon

The poll on d3baseball.com has those players that were mentioned on both the D3Baseball.com and ABCA All-American teams.  The number of seniors on the two lists were just about normal.

rjburke

I know I'm prejudiced, but Burke at Kean should be watched.

mr_b

Quote from: rjburke on October 26, 2007, 03:49:14 PM
I know I'm prejudiced, but Burke at Kean should be watched.
OK, we'll all keep an eye on you if you insist.

dgilblair

Quote from: Jim Dixon on October 24, 2007, 04:56:53 PM
Any thoughts who might make a splash in 2008 and come out as player of the year. 

I have a poll on d3baseball.com but can only list 8 players.  Who did I leave off?  Who should have been left off?  I did not consider pitchers - leaving that for another day.

Maybe you should have put a NONE OF THE ABOVE option in the poll?

blipp50

consideration:
joey cacchiola  sophomore ss/p  Ramapo college of new jersey was njac rookie of the year

Spence

The list of favorites has to start with Shawn Gilblair and Kurt Yacko. From there, you could go about anywhere.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Spence on November 13, 2007, 08:25:56 AM
The list of favorites has to start with Shawn Gilblair and Kurt Yacko. From there, you could go about anywhere.

Truth spoken.  These two play at a consistently high level.  in 2007, Yacko was the better player and 2006 Gilblair was.  2008 will be interesting. 

Considering Ithaca's Shane Wolf's play in the summer the utility position will be one to watch.

infielddad

formula50,
I have never seen this young man play, ever.
But, from Jim's post, it sounds like he had a very nice summer league season.
From everything I have seen about summer wood bat leagues, poor hitters get exposed and good hitters excel.
You don't get many easy chances in summer leagues.  Nearly every pitcher is good, most better than you will see in a week at DIII. 
Jim's indication this player had a good solid summer leads me to believe your comments aren't appropriate or accurate.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: infielddad on November 14, 2007, 11:21:26 AM
formula50,
I have never seen this young man play, ever.
But, from Jim's post, it sounds like he had a very nice summer league season.
From everything I have seen about summer wood bat leagues, poor hitters get exposed and good hitters excel.
You don't get many easy chances in summer leagues.  Nearly every pitcher is good, most better than you will see in a week at DIII. 
Jim's indication this player had a good solid summer leads me to believe your comments aren't appropriate or accurate.

Shane wolf had the best season of any D-III player and right up there with any other collegiate player.  See the article below.

His 2007 season was not spectacular but solid (first team all-Empire 8, third team NY region AA) but he might be getting out of the shadow of two way player Jeremy Peters

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2007/08/07/Ithaca%27s+Wolf+leads+Elmira+to+championship

hitforthecycle

i have seen wolf play several times and all i'm saying is that despite what he did this summer offensively, he's not as good a hitter as he is a pitcher.  he can be easily exploited by teams that have good pitching and can throw to weaknesses.  wolf is a big kid and has virtually no power at the plate which should tell you something.  he can't turn on an 80 mph fastball which will probably explain why he hit a grand total of zero home runs for ithaca and one for elmira this summer.  he gets flares shots the other way and jam job hits for the most part.  here and there he'll sting one but for the most part he's no threat at the plate and far from the best two way player in the country.  i'm just calling a spade a spade that's all.  the kid has a good arm and any team in the country would take him as a two way player but stats do lie and this is a prime example.  Thererfore infielddad, Jim's comments are based on statistical evidence and although solid, my comments are a both very accurate and very appropriate thank you! 

infielddad

formula50,
So he hit a "soft" .367 in nearly 100 AB's in a summer wood bat league and then a "soft" .417 in the playoffs.
In the experience I had watching our son, wood eventually proves whether you are lucky or good.  Most summer league pitching is at a higher level that DIII throughout the course of a season.This player had more than enough AB's to support this is more than luck.
In reading the article Jim linked, it appears he didn't swing the bat for his first 2 years in college which could raise some additional things to consider in where he is from a skill perspective.
I don't have any problem with your comment he is a better pitcher than hitter.  I do have a problem with the position that he has not proven some things about his ability as a hitter with over 110 AB's in a solid wood bat league.