Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on May 09, 2013, 08:11:37 AM
Augie's wonen get the Midwest Region double done by coming back from 5 goals down to stun Redlands on the road, 11-10.
Augie will now face undefeated Trinity (17-0) on Saturday.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on May 09, 2013, 12:27:57 PM
Quote from: WLCALUM83 on May 09, 2013, 08:11:37 AM
Augie's wonen get the Midwest Region double done by coming back from 5 goals down to stun Redlands on the road, 11-10.
Augie will now face undefeated Trinity (17-0) on Saturday.

Special congratulations to Augustana and Adrian, winners out of the "West" region.  The MIAA  as yet offers Adrian no serious competition at all.  After a tough non-league schedule they won their last eight games by an average score of @ 18-4.  Being able to return to form and beat Kenyon who won a highly competitive 4 team tournament certainly shows their mettle.  And Augustana having to go halfway across the country for their "regional" match up and win it coming from 5 goals back in the final twelve minutes is equally impressive.  Having to then travel 3000 miles for their next game, against the #1 ranked team in the country, will certainly test their sense of humor. 

Augustana's game with Trinity will show how far the Midwestern schools who clearly want to compete at the highest possible level have advanced in the short period of time they have played.  And if they should pull off the upset, (I doubt anyone in the Augie locker room traveled all that way just to lose and say "Thanks for inviting us.") I can think of at least half a dozen schools who would be grateful enough to pay their plane fair home.  (Middlebury included)  ;)  Go Augies!!!

WLCALUM83

Midwest Lacrosse region-related finals (men and women):

Men:  Cortland State 14, Aurora 8

Women:  Trinity-CT 19, Augustana-IL 2

(IMHO, Both opening round wins raised the bar a bit, however for both conferences)

NCF

Congrats to Augie on a great season.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

Vandy74

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on May 12, 2013, 06:11:58 AM

(IMHO, Both opening round wins raised the bar a bit, however for both conferences)

I'm not sure how much any win raises the bar for conferences that presently exist for teams that are simply ahead of their parent conference's recognition of a sport, but the opening round wins certainly raise the bar for the schools' programs.  Aurora losing 14-8 to the #1 men's team is an impressive accomplishment especially at tournament time.  Augustana also lost to the #1 team in the country after traveling @4500 in about a week.  Jet lag, anyone?  ;)   And the Ohio Wesleyan team Aurora beat in the opening round had been ranked at some point during the regular season as well, I believe.  The conference for which  Augustana's performance raises the bar will be the CCIW when it officially recognizes lacrosse.  Augustana, North Central and Carthage will give the that league immediate respectability.  Carthage's goalie btw, Ali Gorman, was ranked 8th in save percentage at .538%.  Only slightly more than ten percent of D3 goalies saved over 50% of shots on goal.  She's a junior.  She'll be back next year. 

And speaking of goalies, women's lacrosse fans who witnessed this weekend's games in Middlebury were able to watch All-American Allie Arnal of #14 Rensselaer put on a show.  RPI stunned #5 Gettysburg who was clearly looking ahead to avenging their lone loss of the season to Middlebury the next day.  A 6-4 halftime lead became a 9-8 defeat and it was all Middlebury could do this afternoon not to become the second upset victim.  I'm glad she's graduating in a few weeks. ;D

Congratulations on a successful season to a large handful of Midwest lacrosse programs who clearly intend to get better.  I just wish that teams in several of the automatic-tournament-bid-winning conferences in the East would do the same. 

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 13, 2013, 12:27:58 AM
Quote from: WLCALUM83 on May 12, 2013, 06:11:58 AM

I'm not sure how much any win raises the bar for conferences that presently exist for teams that are simply ahead of their parent conference's recognition of a sport, but the opening round wins certainly raise the bar for the schools' programs.  Aurora losing 14-8 to the #1 men's team is an impressive accomplishment especially at tournament time.  Augustana also lost to the #1 team in the country after traveling @4500 in about a week.  Jet lag, anyone?  ;)   And the Ohio Wesleyan team Aurora beat in the opening round had been ranked at some point during the regular season as well, I believe.  The conference for which  Augustana's performance raises the bar will be the CCIW when it officially recognizes lacrosse.  Augustana, North Central and Carthage will give the that league immediate respectability.  Carthage's goalie btw, Ali Gorman, was ranked 8th in save percentage at .538%.  Only slightly more than ten percent of D3 goalies saved over 50% of shots on goal.  She's a junior.  She'll be back next year. 

And speaking of goalies, women's lacrosse fans who witnessed this weekend's games in Middlebury were able to watch All-American Allie Arnal of #14 Rensselaer put on a show.  RPI stunned #5 Gettysburg who was clearly looking ahead to avenging their lone loss of the season to Middlebury the next day.  A 6-4 halftime lead became a 9-8 defeat and it was all Middlebury could do this afternoon not to become the second upset victim.  I'm glad she's graduating in a few weeks. ;D

Congratulations on a successful season to a large handful of Midwest lacrosse programs who clearly intend to get better.  I just wish that teams in several of the automatic-tournament-bid-winning conferences in the East would do the same.
They will get better as more high school players decide to stay with the sport in college. I'd say in about five years, you will see a big change in the Midwest, CCIW included.

NCF

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on May 16, 2013, 08:08:55 AM
The Final Four:
http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/lacrosse-women_d3_2012.pdf

I'll be watching the Middlebury-Salisbury game on my computer.  Salisbury is an excellent team.  Middlebury's goalie has been inconsistent.  If she plays as well as she's capable the Panthers have an excellent chance to advance to the championship game. 

amh63

Vandy74....will check in a bit on the Panther game against the MD team.   Been watching baseball as Amherst is in the regionals.  LJs beat the no 23 and the no.2 teams but lost last night to the the no 7 team....national rankings.   Hope to catch all the game before the baseball start today at 1pm.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on May 18, 2013, 08:47:26 AM
Vandy74....will check in a bit on the Panther game against the MD team.   Been watching baseball as Amherst is in the regionals.  LJs beat the no 23 and the no.2 teams but lost last night to the the no 7 team....national rankings.   Hope to catch all the game before the baseball start today at 1pm.
Quote from: Vandy74 on May 18, 2013, 03:46:44 AM
Quote from: NCF on May 16, 2013, 08:08:55 AM
The Final Four:
http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/lacrosse-women_d3_2012.pdf

I'll be watching the Middlebury-Salisbury game on my computer.  Salisbury is an excellent team.  Middlebury's goalie has been inconsistent.  If she plays as well as she's capable the Panthers have an excellent chance to advance to the championship game.

It was everything one could expect from #2 vs #3 except for the final score if you were rooting for the underdog.  Salisbury over MIddlebury 8-7.  Great play in goal for Salisbury.  12 saves.  Now it's wishing good luck to Trinity against Cortland later this afternoon coached by Kate (Perine) Livesay who starred on two Panther championship teams in her playing days.

Thanks for dropping in Amh63.  Best of luck to the Lord Jeffs on the diamond this afternoon.  Baseball is seldom a post-season sport for Middlebury as you know.  :(

Vandy74

The battle of the unbeatens.  #1 Trinity vs #2 Salisbury tomorrow at noon (EDT)  It ought to be a great game!

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 18, 2013, 10:53:39 PM
The battle of the unbeatens.  #1 Trinity vs #2 Salisbury tomorrow at noon (EDT)  It ought to be a great game!
congrats to salisbury on their undefeated championship season!

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on May 19, 2013, 02:38:31 PM
Quote from: Vandy74 on May 18, 2013, 10:53:39 PM
congrats to salisbury on their undefeated championship season!

Agreed.  An outstanding performance by a team clearly driven to avenge their loss to Trinity in last year's championship game.  Congratulations to Salisbury on their second national title.  Another stellar effort from goalie Ashton Wheatley, (9 saves) the championship's Most Outstanding Player.  She'll be back for another season.  :'(   Just kidding, of course.  It was a treat watching Wheatley and RPI's Allie Arnal play these last two weekends even if I was basically rooting against them.   ;)

NCF

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on May 20, 2013, 08:17:32 AM
Now on to the men's championship:
http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/lacrosse-men_d3_2012.pdf

An exciting back and forth game with Stevenson beating RIT 16-14.  Rochester led 13-10 going into the fourth quarter but a 5-0 Stevenson run was the answer.  The first time playing in the championship game for both teams.  Congratulations to Stevenson. 

It's time to expand the brackets from the 32 team format, at least for the men.  Very soon for the women as well, but that's a post for another day.