BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gramps

The Bergs first accolade of the season:

SR., LHP, DAVID PADDOCK is named OAC pitcher of the week for 3-16-09.  Dave is 3-0 and only allowed 1 earned run in 24 innings, with wins over John Jay, 22-0, St. Joseph, 14-0, and Piedmont, 4-0.  He had a career high 11 Ks against John Jay.

A big round of applause for David!!

GO BERG!!!

Gramps

Further congrats to the Berg, they just jumped from 6th to 3rd in the top 25 in the D3 Baseball Poll.

Dr. Acula

MUC lost @ Walsh today despite their 21 hits, 13-12.  They took a 12-10 lead into the bottom of the 8th, but Walsh plated 2 in the 8th and the winner in the 9th on a 2 out double.  Quite frankly I'm a little concerned about the pitching right now.  They have a number of guys that can perform, but there's a lack of consistency right now outside of a couple guys.  Hopefully just working the kinks out early on.

On to the good...8 Raiders had multi hit performances led by Cory Slaybaugh and Dan Henderson both going 4-5.  Thus far 6 of their everyday starters are hitting over .370 (including 5 over .400). 

Gramps

The Berg and Bluffton have just put on a tremendous display of firepower this afternoon at Bluffton Memorial Stadium.
     The Berg had 51 AB, 29 RUNS, AND 24 HITS;   Bluffton had 46 AB, 20 RUNS, AND 23 HITS.
      Contributing for the Berg were:
      J Bault , 4-6, 5 RUNS, 6 RBI; J Wentworth, 3-7,  5 RUNS, 1 RBI; G Keene, 3-5, 3 RUNS, 4 RBI;
      T McClarney, 3-7, 3 RBI; W Brechund, 4-6, 5 RUNS, 3 RBI; S Decker, 2-7, 3 RUNS,  2 RBI;
      J Lash, 2-3, 4 RUNS, 3 RBI, 1 HR; B Boytim, 1-4, 1 RUN, 2 RBI.
      N James, 2-0 got the win.

The Berg, 11-2 will travel to meet Ohio Wesleyan Weds, 3-18, at 4:00pm

GO BERG!!!

Dr. Acula

Gramps, how is Bluffton's stadium?  I heard they were planning some major renovations but then there were some delays and problems.  How does it look?  Did they even complete the renovations?

Gramps

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 18, 2009, 09:53:03 AM
Gramps, how is Bluffton's stadium?  I heard they were planning some major renovations but then there were some delays and problems.  How does it look?  Did they even complete the renovations?
Dr. Acula,  The stadium can be seen at the Bluffton Web site.  They have pictures of the dedication, and of the memorial section. I think that they have more to do, because they only have removable bleachers for the fans.  The scoreboard is nice and big, and they have student announcers, which I think is a nice touch.
The team dugouts are pro-style, in that they are actually lower than the ballfield. You do get a god view of the ballfield from the bleachers, and there is also room for folding chairs behind home plate.  It'll be a good experience just to see the memorial.  Gramps
PS   We'll also be at todays game at Ohio Wesleyan, so I'll probably have something to write on that.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Gramps on March 18, 2009, 01:32:17 AM

GO BERG!!!
Gramps.  OWU's record for the season is 5-6, not 3-18 just to let you know.   :)

fundamentalswin

Scots fan...  I am pretty sure 3-18 was in reference to todays date not OWU's record

As for Mount pitching it has so many screwed up components from the coaching aspects/philosophies to overall excecution by the players that if they dont get the ship righted and soon it could prove to be another mediocre year for the Purple Raiders despite their offense

Dr. Acula

Quote from: fundamentalswin on March 18, 2009, 01:59:09 PMAs for Mount pitching it has so many screwed up components from the coaching aspects/philosophies to overall excecution by the players that if they dont get the ship righted and soon it could prove to be another mediocre year for the Purple Raiders despite their offense

I was hoping you would post soon.  I'm down here trying to decipher things from stats and box scores.  What's the issue?  I would think boiling it down to it's simplest...right now they have a clear 1-2 going into OAC play in Mariotti and Irwin (although Mariotti has not been himself the last 2 times out).  Beyond that I assume you go with Thomas and Miller (?) as the other starters.  My issue has been that sometimes the coaching staff isn't sure what each guy's best role is.  The starters are clearly defined (and set in stone almost to a fault in my mind) but beyond that it's unclear.  It's hard to prepare when you don't know whether you're spot starting or closing that week.  I hope that's no longer the case, but I haven't followed it closely enough to say either way.  So what are your thoughts fundamentalswin?

bballfanatic1984

OAC is starting off this weekend. Who do you guys have winning the opening games of OAC play???

Gramps

Quote from: ScotsFan on March 18, 2009, 11:18:07 AM
Quote from: Gramps on March 18, 2009, 01:32:17 AM

GO BERG!!!
Gramps.  OWU's record for the season is 5-6, not 3-18 just to let you know.   :)
Thanks Scots Fan , but Weds date is 3-18 not 5-6.  As for OWU's record, it is now 6-6, as they defeated the Berg by a score of 7-6.
Jason Lash led the Berg, going 2-3, w/1 run scored, and a BB.
Gar Keene went 2-4, with 2 RBI
Derek Andrzejczak had a solo blast in top of the 7th.

Brian Koehl started and went 5 innings before being releaved by Elvin Williams, who was responsible for 1HIT and getting 3 Ks.

Heidelberg now stands at 11-3.

The OAC starts Sat. 3-21 with a doubleheader in Happy Valley vs. Marietta. 1st game 1:00PM, 2nd game 4:00PM.

Gramps

WHOOPS!! My bad,make that "Peaceful Valley" not "Happy Valley"  where the Berg and 'Etta will meet.

By the way, the Peaceful Valley complex has been improved with the addition of seating for fans. 

GO BERGS!!!

bballfanatic1984

who do you guys have winning the Musky BW games this weekend?

Dr. Acula

Quote from: bballfanatic1984 on March 18, 2009, 07:38:31 PM
OAC is starting off this weekend. Who do you guys have winning the opening games of OAC play???

My predictions are:

Berg/Etta split--Obviously both very good teams.  It's in Tiffin, but Etta has also played great competition on the road already this year.  I'm not sure how I feel about a series that will be this crucial in determining the conference title being played the first weekend.  As a fan I would like it later in the year.

MUC sweeps Wilm--The Quakers seem to be struggling a little.  MUC can hit, we know that, but they also should get solid starting pitching this DH too.  It will be interesting to see how the pen is used in the 2nd game, but I still like MUC to sweep.  They proved to me last year that they can sweep the series they should and this appears to be one of those cases.

Musky/BW split--My initial reaction was to go with the Fish sweep, but I'm just not confident enough to take them on the road against a BW team that I just don't know anything about.

JCU/Cap split--Basically the same as above.  JCU should sweep I suppose, but their schedule to date hasn't been great and Cap is by no means a pushover.  It's the OAC, when in doubt assume a split.   

ScotsFan

Quote from: Gramps on March 19, 2009, 12:22:40 AM
Thanks Scots Fan , but Weds date is 3-18 not 5-6.  As for OWU's record, it is now 6-6, as they defeated the Berg by a score of 7-6.
Sorry Gramps.  I guess I just saw you had the Berg's record after them and I was just assuming the 3-18 following OWU was what you thought their record was...  :-\

That will teach me for not reading more carefully...  :P