BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Used to watch a lot of Fed baseball, but I moved to Columbus in 05 and haven't seen much since.

Like I said as it related to Knott, I just hope these kids excel in school and equally as important...have fun.

inthecrease

Quote from: mucbaseball08 on July 28, 2009, 12:45:28 AM
One of my former teammates and close friends went and interviewed for an assistant coaching job with Coach Hesse this week and he came away with this from the interview.

Quote from: Dr. Acula on July 28, 2009, 01:48:27 AM
Trust me, you're not going to offend anyone on here let alone the other MUC posters.  It's a well documented inside joke that anyone that's ever played there is in on.  But as I've said before, I wouldn't trade the friends I've made and the stories I have for a few wins in college.  Sounds like you're in the same boat.  

We all know how the program is run so sometimes you gotta ask the question of why people are still coming back to coach along side hesse. To quote one of my good friends and former teammates "Everyone bashes him and then they apply 4 a job 2 work under him ... that makes a whole lotta sense..."

I have to agree with him. I need a job, but im not that desparate. Esspecially seeing how other established coaches worked with hesse, why would a young coach with little experience want to attempt to make his name with the purple raiders.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: inthecrease on July 28, 2009, 10:42:48 PMWe all know how the program is run so sometimes you gotta ask the question of why people are still coming back to coach along side hesse. To quote one of my good friends and former teammates "Everyone bashes him and then they apply 4 a job 2 work under him ... that makes a whole lotta sense..."
I can only speak for myself, but if I ever considered being an asst. there my reasoning would be that I love baseball and I love Mount.  While it's not the perfect situation by any means I would go into it w/ the goal of making playing baseball at Mount as fun and fulfilling as possible.  I know I wouldn't be able to change the way things are done, but you can try to make sure your guys love showing up every day, work hard and never stop having fun.  

Quote from: inthecrease on July 28, 2009, 10:42:48 PMI have to agree with him. I need a job, but im not that desparate. Esspecially seeing how other established coaches worked with hesse, why would a young coach with little experience want to attempt to make his name with the purple raiders.
Now this I have no answer for.  If I had aspirations of being a college HC I wouldn't stick around long.  I would do everything I could to get on the staff somewhere like Wooster, Etta, Berg, OC, etc. even if it meant being a volunteer asst.

mucbaseball08

Quote from: inthecrease on July 28, 2009, 10:42:48 PM
Quote from: mucbaseball08 on July 28, 2009, 12:45:28 AM
One of my former teammates and close friends went and interviewed for an assistant coaching job with Coach Hesse this week and he came away with this from the interview.

Quote from: Dr. Acula on July 28, 2009, 01:48:27 AM
Trust me, you're not going to offend anyone on here let alone the other MUC posters.  It's a well documented inside joke that anyone that's ever played there is in on.  But as I've said before, I wouldn't trade the friends I've made and the stories I have for a few wins in college.  Sounds like you're in the same boat.  

We all know how the program is run so sometimes you gotta ask the question of why people are still coming back to coach along side hesse. To quote one of my good friends and former teammates "Everyone bashes him and then they apply 4 a job 2 work under him ... that makes a whole lotta sense..."

I have to agree with him. I need a job, but im not that desparate. Esspecially seeing how other established coaches worked with hesse, why would a young coach with little experience want to attempt to make his name with the purple raiders.

I know what you mean, I'd never want to go work for the man but as 22/23 year olds and my friend wanting to make a career of becoming a baseball coach preferably in the college ranks this is our only in.  Currently he works for a baseball academy in the Cleveland area and coaches a very good freshman in H.S. aged team but would prefer being near a college campus, recruiting and such. 

With us playing for Coach Bunnell I guess my friend saw how he turned a 4 year stint as assistant at Mount to becoming head coach of the Stark County Terriers and now obtaining his masters at North Central so he can soon take over a program of his own.

Bump

The picture you guys paint of MU baseball isn't a good one. I have heard that LK expects and demands a great deal from the coaches of all programs. It is difficult to comprehend that a program under LK could be handled the way that has been described in previous posts. I know Coach Wojo was working 16+ hour days 7 days a week last winter and spring. I can't see how another coach particularly a head coach could not be putting in the effort to run a quality program while working for LK. It just doesn't add up. I see Coach Hesse at more HS baseball games in Stark Co. than any other college coach. The only other coach that comes close is Coach Mead from Walsh. I guess I am having a hard time understanding the problems with the program. It is easy to disagree with strategy and recommendations for all conference teams. The MU baseball program seems to get its fair share of talent year in and year out. The MU baseball team is competitive in the OAC every year all though they don't win many OAC titles. I don't get it. What are the specific problems with the program?  ???

Guys I am not trying to start a Hesse bashing session. I am just curious what in your opinion needs to be done differently to improve the baseball program at Mount.
Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies!! - Lewis Grizzard

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for $5 a hole with only $2 in your pocket.  – Lee Trevino

mucbaseball08

I think it is more of a respect thing.  The guys on the team don't take the head coach serious and while some of it is the usual nit picking of a person in charge, Hesse doesn't really help his case.  He tells stories of when he played for Kent State as a starting outfielder.  He references Bob Todd as if they are best friends.  Coach Hesse is not married or has children but told another coach in Florida that his two sons are off playing division I baseball.

I think he is a very nice person, just not a baseball guy.  He is also the assistant to the AD in the athletic department so I think he isn't someone that ruffles any feathers and doesn't say No to LK very often.  I guess I look at it as Mount has a Romeo Crennel type coach and they need a switch to a disciplinarian like Mangini.  I thought Gilhousen would have taken over the head coaching job within the first 2 years of him coming to Mount but that never came to fruition.

mucbaseball08

Sorry I can't seen to find the edit button but I want to clarify if what I mentioned doesn't seem strange.  Coach Hesse ran track, he was not on Kent's baseball team but rather a grad assistant.

Dr. Acula

I'll comment on Bump's question in a bit.

In the meantime 08, if you look at your post after you've posted there is a modify button in the upper right (right by the quote button). 

Bump

08 you don't get the modify / edit feature until around 25 posts. I think your only feature to fix screw ups at this point is to delete your post and redo it. Believe me it is not comfortable hitting the post button without the edit safety net. I am waiting patiently (I might add) for the karma option to show up.  :)

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for $5 a hole with only $2 in your pocket.  – Lee Trevino

JK

Quote from: Bump on July 29, 2009, 05:18:34 PM
I am waiting patiently (I might add) for the karma option to show up.  :)

You mean this one???

+K for everyone, because I can  ;D

fundamentalswin

I guess it is my turn to chime in on my former program as well.  Here is the simple truth:  The MUC program mirrors its leader in every single way.  What is Hesse's overall demeanor? Quiet, reserved, skittish and an overall push over "yes man".  So it directly translates to his team.  When push comes to shove with this program they fold on the field (see the prior two years' starts and thus the finishes).  Now take a look at the successful teams in the conference.  Marietta and Heidelberg have strong leaders who are outwardly competitive in public situations.  General tendency is that people are more reserved in public  and if that is how those two are in public then imagine the practices.  Being in the program for 3 years the practices are attempted at being intense but they fall short.  They are long but there are zero consequences for mistakes.  I have a hard time believing that is the case in the championship programs.  Dealing with pressure isn't a innate ability, it is learned and takes discipline from the top from day one.  The program can get talent in the door but they cant teach the talent the discipline across the board to get them from talented high school players to a championship level college baseball team.  If one of the new assistants believes in discipline and creating pressure situations on a daily basis and Hesse allows him to take the lead in this the program could upshot over the next several years but knowing Hesse and his tendencies he rarely thinks outside the box and ventures outside his personal comfort zone

Bump

Quote from: JK on July 29, 2009, 05:48:05 PM

You mean this one???

Yea, that's the one I am waiting on. At what point does that thing show up and where is it located?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Bump on July 29, 2009, 07:16:06 PM
Quote from: JK on July 29, 2009, 05:48:05 PM

You mean this one???

Yea, that's the one I am waiting on. At what point does that thing show up and where is it located?

You'll get it when you hit 200 posts*.  The buttons appear just under the karma count.

*I believe the rationale was that Pat encountered too many 'drive-by' 'haters'; he figured by 200 posts you've proved your bona fides (and perhaps even been socialized into the d3 community's ways!)

Bump

129 posts to go. If I keep asking Dr. A questions I will get there in no time.  :)

Bump

Quote from: fundamentalswin on July 29, 2009, 05:58:45 PM
I guess it is my turn to chime in on my former program as well.  Here is the simple truth:  The MUC program mirrors its leader in every single way.  What is Hesse's overall demeanor? Quiet, reserved, skittish and an overall push over "yes man".  So it directly translates to his team.  When push comes to shove with this program they fold on the field (see the prior two years' starts and thus the finishes).  Now take a look at the successful teams in the conference.  Marietta and Heidelberg have strong leaders who are outwardly competitive in public situations.  General tendency is that people are more reserved in public  and if that is how those two are in public then imagine the practices.  Being in the program for 3 years the practices are attempted at being intense but they fall short.  They are long but there are zero consequences for mistakes.  I have a hard time believing that is the case in the championship programs.  Dealing with pressure isn't a innate ability, it is learned and takes discipline from the top from day one.  The program can get talent in the door but they cant teach the talent the discipline across the board to get them from talented high school players to a championship level college baseball team.  If one of the new assistants believes in discipline and creating pressure situations on a daily basis and Hesse allows him to take the lead in this the program could upshot over the next several years but knowing Hesse and his tendencies he rarely thinks outside the box and ventures outside his personal comfort zone

You say the practices are long. How long are they? I have heard in the winter they start at 5:00 am and run until 9:00 am. I am surprised that they could be that long. The NCAA has regulations for football on the length of practices. (Hours per day and hours per week.)  Are there no similar regs for baseball?

128 to go!!