BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bump

Tinman, you must have been at the second game Saturday. I was at the 10:00 AM game. I thought the pitching was pretty solid in the early game. The pitchers had problems finding the strike zone at times but all in all they looked good. They all had decent velocity and could get their off speed and breaking stuff over the plate. I was impressed with both catchers in the early game. They did a good job receiving and made strong accurate throws to second. I know Huth was one of the catchers not sure who was the other catcher. I agree with your point about the hitting adjusting to the wood bats. The one thing I saw in game one that bothered me some was the number of called third strikes. I would rather see a player swing and miss at a marginal pitch than watch a called strike three.  If it was close enough to be called a strike it was close enough to take a cut.                                                               
Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies!! - Lewis Grizzard

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for $5 a hole with only $2 in your pocket.  – Lee Trevino

Tinman

Yes It was the second game, and it was a combination of not finding the strike zone.  I am going to the game today. 

Dr. Acula

Let us know how that goes today Tinman.

I might stop by OC once they get back in school next week to check out their fall ball. 

Bump

Game today was similar to Saturday. Pitching was a little better today. They had problems finding the strike zone at times but pitching wasn't bad overall. There seemed to be more balls hit solid today. The hitters seem to be adjusting to wood bats. There wasn't as many called third strikes which was good to see. Those things drive me nuts!!

I think there was only one error by both teams combined in a 7 inning game.

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for $5 a hole with only $2 in your pocket.  – Lee Trevino

Tinman

I'm Jealous Bump, that darn work stuff got in the way and missed it I will be there for the first game Sat. AM.  I am told Wood had was solid at the dish.  his team won 8-1?

Bump

I saw the second game at MU last Saturday. Hitters seem to be making better contact. The defense remains solid, I don't remember any errors. IMO there are still way to many called third strikes. I lost count after 7 players watched strike three.  Nick Walker hit the ball hard his first two at bats. I am pretty sure they both would have been HR's if he had been using an aluminum bat. Tinman, did you make it to the early game?

Dr. Acula

I need to start studying the roster early because I'm not familiar with some of these kids.  Talk about out of the loop...I'm clueless!

Bump

Dr A, Don't feel bad I know very few of the players names. The only reason I knew Walker's name was because he was a guild during the summer preview we attended. I did look up his numbers from his freshman year and he hit pretty well when given a chance. I think he went 5 for 12 last year with 3 starts in the outfield.

Tinman

Yes the first game was at 10am Dunham sports looked good and had a good lead throuh 6+ but they pulled the starter and the bullpen was a little overworked They lost it in the 9th (Hello Tribe!) I heard that Cory Douglass and their other decent pitchers had been used up on an extra inning game thursday night.  The teams are stretched so thin I heard they had Van Duykes (outfield) Pitching relief

Dr. Acula

It's not everyday in Columbus you see cars driving around with OAC baseball stickers on them and when you do it's usually Ott.  Well, today I saw not one, but two cars with Berg baseball stickers on them.  My guess based on the drivers is one was on a dad's car and the other on a recent grad's car.  Someone tell George Powell that Berg stickers are in his backyard!

Tinman

Got word that ONU lost their big 6' 5" left hand pitcher Zaebst, dropped from the program

Historyprof

ONU lost most of the pitching staff from last year.  Zaebst left the program to concentrate on academics, Miller (last years #1) transferred to NDC, Hill ran out of eligibility, Pope, who was effective out of the pen left, to concentrate on his Sr yr of pharmacy school, leaving them with two sophs with any varsity experience (Fisher and Drerup) a Sr in Sigg who has never really been used and an outfielder (Katana) who is good for about 3 innings before everyone figures out that all he has is a fastball.

Bergman STILL refuses to hire a coach with ANY pitching experience, (figures he can do it on his own). You can read all the theory you want, and understand the textbook mechanical things, but until you've had the ball in your hand in a tight spot you just don't know pitching.

It's gonna be a LONG season in  Polarbear land

Dr. Acula

Welcome aboard, prof.  +k

ONU's lack of a pitching coach was a fairly hot topic of discussion during the season.  Poor OACbballfan3 had to follow it closer than the rest of us.  I understand having confidence in your coaching abilities, but a good coach (or leader of any kind) knows their limitations.  You were 100% correct when you said that you only truly know pitching if you've toed the rubber.  I feel bad for those kids at ONU because they're getting cheated.  Sad to see their pitching staff take such a hit in the offseason too.

p.s. Why did Miller transfer?  NDC is D2 I believe so maybe they offered him $$? 

Historyprof

Correct Dr A,
NDC is D2 NAIA and offered him, from what I heard, an almost full ride (depending on whom you believe). I know he had some problems with Bergman, an oil and water thing I think.

Word out of Ada is that the freshmen who came in the fall "throw stikes", in other words, have no velocity.

I see 10-30 this year, and unless I am totally off base Bergman's last season at Northern.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Historyprof on October 28, 2009, 06:18:41 AM
Correct Dr A,
NDC is D2 NAIA and offered him, from what I heard, an almost full ride (depending on whom you believe). I know he had some problems with Bergman, an oil and water thing I think.

Word out of Ada is that the freshmen who came in the fall "throw stikes", in other words, have no velocity.

I see 10-30 this year, and unless I am totally off base Bergman's last season at Northern.

Hahaha.  Exactly how I would interpret it as well.  Phrases like throws strikes, good command, uses his defense well, makes you beat him, etc. are all code for a soft tosser.  The good news is those freshmen are probably going to get a lot of experience. 

Sounds like it could be a LONG year in Ada and that certainly wouldn't help Bergman's cause.  Players quitting/transferring doesn't help either.