BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

I figured that was an issue for MUC.  You could piece together that Mariotti probably ran out of gas from the box score.  Not having anyone throwing is inexcusable even if he was cruising.

I don't recall Henderson.  Does he usually start?

Dr. Acula

BW @ MUC is PPD.  Slated for Wed.

JCU just won the first game 8-7 over Otterbein. 

mideastfan2

Marietta won the first game at Musky 10-3.

They are leading the second game 6-5 in the 7th inning.

A sweep today would be HUGE for the standgins, with Heidelberg already dropping a game to ONU.

JK

Revisiting what I said a couple of weeks ago...

Capital, by far, is the biggest disappointment in the Conference this year.

Now 0 and freaking 10 after the sweep by the flaming piles (BW for you uninitiated folks), what looked like a promising season based on the finish last season and the early spring results has gone away.

Rough times at the alma mater.  What happened?!?!?!?!  Did the fact that they had to go to Chillicothe to play "home" games early in the season since Clowson was under water hurt them?  Can they not get any timely hitting this year?  Anyone seen them play?  The box scores are all over the place... blowing leads, rallys that fall short, I can't figure it out.

That other Columbus school, the hated Otters, also have to be in the running for biggest disappointment as well.  Given that they have one of, if not the best, pitchers in D3 in Remenowski and where they were predicted to finish, to be at 4-4 in OAC play right now has to be a bit of cause for concern.  However, unlike Cap, if the Otters get hot, they can still get in the tourney.  Cap is already out of it.

mideastfan2

Marietta completes the sweep, winning game two 9-6.  The bats have come alive the last few days (that's what playing at Wilmington and Muskingum will do for ya - hitter's parks), and the pitching is staying consistent.....just in time for a late April - early May push.  Marietta is back to .500 on the season (14-14) for the first time since March 1st when they were 1-1; hard to believe.

They now stand alone at the top of the OAC with a 10-2 record!!

a spectator

Any word yet on a BW-Mt. union score from the first game today?

mideastfan2

they split today and scored a ton of runs in both games.  looks like both teams were hurting for pitching.

That makes the current OAC standings:

Marietta (10-2)
Heidelberg (9-3)
John carroll (8-4)
Mount Union (8-4)
Baldwin Wallace (7-5)
Otterbein (5-5)
Ohio Northern (4-6)

others are out of it.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: mideastfan2 on April 16, 2008, 10:05:07 PM
they split today and scored a ton of runs in both games.  looks like both teams were hurting for pitching.

BW beat MUC 25-17?!?!  I would say that's a football score, but most years those two don't score that much on the gridiron against each other! 

p.s. I enjoyed the fact that BW only used 4 pitchers all day.  They made a lot of errors, but still 30 runs is 30 runs.  I've had days like that and it takes a lot to swallow your pride and eat innings when you're struggling simply because you know it's best for the team.  I applaud that.     

old scot

How is Marietta getting it done? Second to last in the conference in BA and ERA. I guess the pitching staff is getting timely strikeouts as well as the offense taking advantage of walks and timely hitting. Their defense seems to be pretty solid.
I haven't checked the remaining OAC schedule but, it looks like it should be an exciting finish to the season.

mideastfan2

not sure what the Conference stats are compared to the overall stats, but I'm guesing they are night and day for Marietta.  Through their first 11 games (southern trip), the pitching staff had an ERA of over 8.50.  Since then it's been a TON better.  Same with the bats.  They were hitting close to .225 after 11 games, but it's gotten a lot better since they've been up north.

mideastfan2

Current OAC standings:

Marietta (10-2)
Heidelberg (9-3)
Mount Union (8-4)
John Carroll (8-4)
Baldwin-Wallace (7-5)
Otterbein (5-5)
Ohio Northern (4-6)
Wilmington, Muskingum, Capital (all out of it)

Matchups for 4/19/08:

Heidelberg at Baldwin-Wallace, 1p.m.
Muskingum at Mount Union, 1p.m.
Wilmington at John Carroll, 1p.m.
Ohio Northern at Capital, 1p.m.
Otterbein at Marietta, 1p.m.

mideastfan2

Otterbein takes game one from Marietta 8-5.  The game was back and forth until the 7th as Marietta led 4-3, but Otterbein scored 5 unearned runs on a few costly Marietta errors, a strange reversed OUT call by the umpire at first base, and a very wierd inside the park 3-run homerun (Marietta's left fielder hit the wall and didn't throw the ball in).  To say the wheels came off would be short-changing what happenned...very strange inning after a GREAT first 6 innings; what you would expect in your typical Mar-Ott matchup.

Game two will begin shortly.

mideastfan2

Otterbein is carrying the momentum from the 7th inning of game one into the nightcap.....they lead 15-0 after 3 innings.  They brought the bats today!!!

This sweep will help them get right back into that fourth place spot for tournament play.

In other games:

Heidelberg took game one against B-W.

mideastfan2

the 2nd game with Mar/Ott has been pretty crazy.  Otterbein jumped out to a 15-0 lead after 3 innings....Marietta came back to score 15 runs in the last 6 innings but it wasn't quite enough, as they dropped the 2nd game 19-15 in the rain.

Between the wierd 7th inning in game one, all the rain, and all the scoring in game two...it was a very strange day at Schaly Stadium.

mideastfan2

Otterbein swept Marietta

Heidelberg swept B-W

Muskingum swept Mount Union (kinda surprising)

John Carroll swept Wimington

ONU and Captial postponed to Sunday